Raising money for your PPL

abazi21@gmail.com

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Abazi
Hello everyone. Just a bit about myself. I am a 27-year-old aspiring pilot with a mediocre job working security. I served for almost 7 years in the US Army as a M1A2 Abrams Tank Crew Member. The military brought me to Texas and I have been living there for almost 10 years now. I am just looking for feedback from anyone with knowledgeable information on how your training was funded. I know that me being a Veteran really helps me out funding wise for acquiring ratings. But it is of no use for me to actually get moving towards the completion of my PPL. I have been looking for any way possible for me to get the funding I need for me to accomplish this dream. I have made a go fund me and have actually got quite a few donations which will help me a bit but I am not even close to the funding needed. Due to my job not bringing in enough money for me to support my family of 6 (Wife and 4 kids) and my dream, obviously I am forced to support my family. There has been a plethora of individuals telling me to use the G.I. Bill to accomplish my PPL. They fail to understand that the G.I. Bill does not cover PPL Training. (As Seen Here http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/flight_training.asp ) I have also looked into financing the training but I just simply can’t afford it. I have reached out to the training site at my local airport I would like to attend. Here is what they said.
ME: Good day,
My name is Dustin. I am very interested in attending this flight school to receive my PPL. I saw on your site that you are in the process of getting the part 141 status? I was just wondering how much longer the processing time will take if you have an estimate. I am also curious as to how much would actually be covered?
THEM: Dustin,
We are now a 141 flight school. We do take GI benefits however; the GI bill will not pay for your initial private license. They require you to pay it. It will pay for everything beyond that training. Please feel free to call me at the number below to discuss.
Thank you,

Craig Caddell
Central Texas Flight Training
(254) 760-3761

My end goal would be to become a CFI.
So from what I have stated, what are my options? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!!!
https://www.gofundme.com/abazi

Don't mean to be blunt but if you're determined to become a pilot, you'll find a way. Maybe work as a lineman at that school fueling their planes etc and trading for flight time as a start.

I retired from the Air Force but while I was in I sacrificed to work on my PPL. Had a kid and had to stop flying for a year until my financial situation improved. Finally got my PPL and used the GI Bill for everything else. I even had two part time jobs in addition to being in the AF to help pay for it.

Begging for money on here and misusing GoFund is pretty low in my book. Apparently you didn't learn anything about honor and integrity in the Army.

Last edited:
Best of luck with your gofundme

Best bet, quit being a damn leach, the tax payers are going to be forced to pay for all your ratings and your broke azz can't even save up and pay for your own PPL :rolleyes2:

I know it's a four letter word nowadays, but how about you BUDGET and use some DISCIPLINE and pay for your own stuff, quit asking for hand outs.

You can get your Private pilot's license for as little as 5 grand. That's what I paid for mine in 2011, everything included. I trained in a C152 for $70/hr wet and my CFI was $25/hr. That was a lot for me then as I was working an hourly entry level job

If you really need help ask friends and family. You probably wont find any financial support here. We are already aviation broke

Last edited:
By 'raising money' do you mean 'working'? Cause that's how I 'raised money' for my training.

I reported this post because......

While I find these types of posts amusing, I believe they should be removed because I'm envious that someone can just go advertise his gofundme site for something many of us have worked for and maintained at our own expense. It leads me to want to advertise my gofundme site for I am too lazy to stand on the side of the road to collect money so I can afford avgas.

My Uncle helped me get my private , I worked as a lineman to pay for rentals to build time. Later I paid him back moving airplanes he would buy and sell.
Now that he is gone West ,I'm still paying back by flying with people who were his friends that would not be able to fly at point in time. His investment in me is appreciated by me and his generation of pilots. He paid it forward and I've tried to do the same. I have been in your position, wondering how to be able to fly, I was 58 years old before I could afford my own plane.
Really I'm envious that I cannot let myself start my own gofundme for annuals and avgas.:dunno:

Last edited:
I earned my right to use whatever program out there that exists for veterans. I never once asked for help financially from this community. I simply asked for info. Not smart a$$ comments. As far as leeches are concerned, you should read up on the 1.8 Trillion Dollar deficit for college students taking out student loans that more than 51% of them have not or are behind on paying.

Here did the work for you http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/11/student-loans-delinquent_n_5670154.html

It's a shame that people don't earn money for being internet keyboard warriors.

Last edited:
Leech ok wow. I have nothing to say.

Good, you've said enough, now PUT THE WORK IN, get a job and budget for your future like an adult sir!

..I do stand corrected though,

LEACH
1) leach is a type of person who does their best to suck your personal wealth out of you, without actually causing pain, but just extreme annoyance after you notice it is happening.

As I highly doubt anyone here is dumb enough to give you handouts, you are just a beggar and not yet a leach.

I earned my right to use whatever program out there that exists for veterans. I never once asked for help financially from this community. I simply asked for info. Not smart a$$ comments. As far as leeches are concerned, you should read up on the 1.8 Trillion Dollar deficit for college students taking out student loans that more than 51% of them have not or are behind on paying.

Here did the work for you http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/11/student-loans-delinquent_n_5670154.html

Don't get all high and mighty when you're begging for money.

Never asked this community for money eh?
....So from what I have stated, what are my options? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!!!
https://www.gofundme.com/abazi
Looks like begging for money to me

FYI, I have Z E R O, as in 0, debt, aside from financing and paying off a couple cars a few years back, I've never had any debt, I've never begged strangers for money and I've never attempted to tell folks I deserve THEIR hard earned money.

What I have done was to work my ass off, work nearly 7 days a week for years, started my own little business to make more money once.

I guess for you it is a shame you can't "earn" money sitting on your ass behind a keyboard with your go fund me begging.

If I was in the army I'd be offended that you identified yourself as a solider in an attempt to leach money from people on the internet, is that what the armed forces stands for? I don't think so.

Get off POA and click this link, it'll help you quite a bit more, it'll also provide you with something gofundme can't, dignity and honor.

https://killeen.craigslist.org/search/jjj

Last edited:
Hey brother. Welcome to the forum. I am in the Army currently, and I am both an Army pilot and airplane owner. My advice to you would be to join as an aviator. I'm not going to call you a leech, but you are asking for handouts for a hobby. On Maslow's hierarchy of needs this is by far a want. I would suggest saving and working on your PPL when you have enough money to complete the rating. This is important for two reason. First, it will show you and your family that you are serious about becoming a pilot (right now it's just something cool to do). Secondly, when you look at that $5k-$10k in your bank account and the only thing you want to spend that money on is flying then you know you're making the right choice. If you think about a new car or that Harley you always wanted maybe you should rethink your decisions. After PPL your GI Bill will pay for the rest.

I am more than willing to help a fellow veteran in need, but this is a want.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me. Good luck in your endeavors.

-CPT H

In army uniform and even holding a kid with a American flag while begging for money....

At least have enough respect for the uniform, your son and the flag to leave them out of the begging, come on man :(

image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really tired of hearing about gofundme accounts. High tech begging. Some have been worthwhile, some not so much. Guess where this fits.
I worked over the course of several years, paying as I went, for my private. Nothing like OT and hard work to fully appreciate what you've accomplished. You might look into a community college with an aviation specialty. Then maybe you can combine a formal education with your pilot career. Potential employees will appreciate that a whole lot more than a gofundme account.

Hey brother. Welcome to the forum. I am in the Army currently, and I am both an Army pilot and airplane owner. My advice to you would be to join as an aviator. I'm not going to call you a leech, but you are asking for handouts for a hobby. On Maslow's hierarchy of needs this is by far a want. I would suggest saving and working on your PPL when you have enough money to complete the rating. This is important for two reason. First, it will show you and your family that you are serious about becoming a pilot (right now it's just something cool to do). Secondly, when you look at that $5k-$10k in your bank account and the only thing you want to spend that money on is flying then you know you're making the right choice. If you think about a new car or that Harley you always wanted maybe you should rethink your decisions. After PPL your GI Bill will pay for the rest.

I am more than willing to help a fellow veteran in need, but this is a want.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me. Good luck in your endeavors.

-CPT H

As an Army vet myself, I could not have put it better.

Good luck to you OP. Sorry you will have to endure the ****storm coming your way.

I concur. Whether or not people happen to agree with your use of crowd funding or your choice to emphasize that you are a veteran, I think terms like "leech" and so forth are uncalled-for, pejorative, and assume facts not in evidence.

I also think there's a certain generational thing that's operative here. Crowd funding and the like would have been considered "begging" by most people in my generation, but yours has a different outlook on such matters. That doesn't make it "wrong," even though the concept itself may irritate those of us who were raised with older values.

As for your actual question, other than crowd sourcing or working for the flight school in some way, your basic options are either to work and save up the money, or to borrow it. If you choose the latter option, AOPA used to have an arrangement with a bank (BOA back then) for flight training financing. They may still have one.

You may also want to consider a loan from a credit union, especially one like Navy Fed or PenFed that's military-specific and veteran-friendly. If you are a USAA member, they also might be willing to lend you the money. They run a bank in addition to being an insurance company. I've never used their banking services (I'm more of a credit-union guy), but I know fellow veterans who do bank with USAA and who swear by them.

Rich

Hello everyone. Just a bit about myself. I am a 27-year-old aspiring pilot with a mediocre job working security. I served for almost 7 years in the US Army as a M1A2 Abrams Tank Crew Member. The military brought me to Texas and I have been living there for almost 10 years now. I am just looking for feedback from anyone with knowledgeable information on how your training was funded.https://www.gofundme.com/abazi

Paid for my PPL myself. Gave up what I had to give up.

Abazi -- First, welcome to PoA. I for one am glad you have joined us. And I'll apologize for the others who responded to your first post by throwing mud bass as you.

Begging for money touches a exposed nerve on this board.

The reason for the grief from the PoA community is that we see too many of these and many here are tired of the cultural evolution to a welfare state and the loss of the "if I need/want it, I'll get out and go earn it" ideals that our country had for the first 175 years.

The GoFundMe item is not needed. Raising the $7,000-$8,000 needed for private pilot training is very doable in less than 12 months by living on a "no frills, pay the bills, save everything" budget. Read up on Dave Ramsey style advice (including not going into a restaurant unless you work there) and work the program. From that alone you might find $500-ish a month of surplus cash.

Try taking a second job. If the primary is paying the bills, then the second will speed up saving for the cash to do your training.

Finally, you don't have to wait until you have 100% of your training budget to start. Since I'm a no debt guy, I saved up 2/3's of my budget and got started training. While draining the money out of the bottom of the bucket to pay for training, I continued to work hard on my income so I could add the remaining 1/3 to the top.

I totally get the desire to get the money now and start training now. But flight training is a steady marathon, not a sprint. While you're working your budget and second job, there is plenty you can do now to be involved in aviation. And many are no cost.
  • You can get the free FAA publications and start reading up for your written exam.
  • You can sign up on the http://www.faasafety.gov website and be notified of aviation seminars in the area. Enjoy the material being presented and work the crowd to develop a personal network of new friends and pilots.
  • You can go visit the local airport (Draughon-Miller Central Texas Regional Airport is very nice) and begin making friends. Many might be willing to give rides in their airplanes.
  • You can take some practice written exams at www.exams4pilots.com Questions that you get wrong or don't understand become study points from the books.

Again, welcome to PoA. Sorry for the rocky start. Don't let that affect your enthusiasm to fly or be part of this community. If you're ever up in the D/FW area, let us know and we might meet you for food and drink.

I think it's awesome that you want to get your PPL. I sure do remember the day I got mine.

Here's the problem. First - you won't get a dime on this forum.
Second: If you can't afford to get your PPL you can't afford to fly after the fact. You will need to remain current that will require you paying to rent a plane.

I think becoming a CFI is great - but again - more training. You are starting on a long list of certifications - all of which cost a great deal of money....

I wish you best. I hope your friends and family help all they can. You may want to consider a 2nd or 3rd job - trust me you will need it!

WOW. Guess the new method is begging for money. Being a pilot isn't cheap and I don't think others need to pay for your new hobby. Liberals these days.

My cirrus runs me about 250 an hour to run. I want to start a gofundme for 100 hours a year... anyone gonna join me :)

I know it's not the preferred option, but if you have good credit and excellent financial discipline 0% credit cards are always an option. The Citi Simplicity card gives 0% intro APR for 21 months. The Chase Freedom also normally has a 0% introductory rate. All of my flight training went onto the Chase Freedom and when the 0% introductory period ended, I balance transferred onto the Citi Simplicity card. The benefit of this is that you accrue points on the card as you pay it off. All of my surplus money now goes toward paying off the credit card, and I expect to pay off my flight training without having to do another balance transfer.

Again, this is not for everybody, but it allowed me to get all my training in without long stretches of time in between lessons to save more money. This in turn leads you to save more money, since you aren't spending time knocking off rust each lesson. Thank you for your service!

[snip]

I also think there's a certain generational thing that's operative here. Crowd funding and the like would have been considered "begging" by most people in my generation, but yours has a different outlook on such matters. That doesn't make it "wrong," even though the concept itself may irritate those of us who were raised with older values.

[snip]
Rich

Rich, you and I are closer to the same generation I guess.

I don't see any difference in GoFundMe and standing on a street corner asking strangers for money to fund your <fill in the blank>. If you're not comfortable standing on the corner and asking in person, asking electronically is just more convenient and, like most things electronic, removes the potentially awkward personal relationship piece.

I use a similar rule for email: I don't forward things to anybody unless I'd feel comfortable bothering to talk to them in person about it.

I do think many of the responses were 1) over the top and 2) didn't fully read the original post (unfortunately not surprising on here). He has a job. He has a family (of 6). He's planning to use his GI Bill money to get there rest of his ratings. Perfectly reasonable use of his GI Bill money if he wants to be a professional pilot, which he does. He's not a leech.

To the OP: your dream job may not be in line with your responsibilities (i.e. supporting a family of 6), but that's a trade off you and your family will have to figure out. In the mean time, see what you can do to increase your income and/or cut your expenses and save for your dream. Working at the airport as a second job would get you exposure to contacts you will need later and be connected to aviation. Is it hard to work two jobs with a family? You bet. I went to college part time for 6 years while supporting a wife and 3, (and then 4, I didn't work ALL the time) kids. It sucked a lot of the time. Seemed like whenever I had a break from school, work went nuts. But we survived and it was ultimately worth it.

John

This board frequently had people coming here w/ kickstarter and gofundme requests for assistance.

A lot of the response you are getting is not just because you are going this route but you are the 900th person to come along and try that route.

It is always their first post and off putting when someone walks into a room they have never been in before and asks for money.

1. It is not a good tactic .
2. It has been tried so many times that members here have lost their patience with it.

Let's not paint with such a broad brush. I'm what's probably considered a "millennial," though I hate that term. I think "GoFundMe," in general, is absolutely begging; the web just lets people do it without having to go outside with a sign.

A certain (and unfortunately, probably growing) segment of my generation is extremely entitled and believes that they should have anything and everything they want without having to put in the work for it. Someone, or the government, should just pay their way for them because otherwise they might not get what they want (an unimaginable tragedy, no doubt).

Admittedly, I'm absolutely a "I want it now" guy, but I support that mentality by working hard, budgeting, and sacrificing. I do not start up a "GoFundMe" for my hobbies, or even my needs.

You may want to budget closer to $10,000 for your PPL as well. The $6,700 will be spent long before your checkride.

(Byron, with a "Y"? really? You've been at the dregs of your brew growler again I see)

Anyhow, Abazi... Do come visit us up here sometime. Byron, err, Bryan and I always like talking with prospective pilots.

I also suggest starting a new thread to introduce yourself and let this one have a quiet death. Give us a chance to get to know you as it were. And stick around long enough, you might be featured in the next episode of "As the Propeller Turns"

A certain (and unfortunately, probably growing) segment of my generation is extremely entitled and believes that they should have anything and everything they want without having to put in the work for it. Someone, or the government, should just pay their way for them because otherwise they might not get what they want (an unimaginable tragedy, no doubt).

Yup that's the mentality these days. Apparently one of our 2016 candidates was saying something about free college for all. So who exactly will pay the staff? Just wondering if they we're going to donate their time is all. I'm sure Jim will tell me how wrong I am again :)

Also check into Texell Credit Union as I know they are local to you and offer financing for your PPL.

Best of luck with your gofundme

Best bet, quit being a damn leach, the tax payers are going to be forced to pay for all your ratings and your broke azz can't even save up and pay for your own PPL :rolleyes2:

I know it's a four letter word nowadays, but how about you BUDGET and use some DISCIPLINE and pay for your own stuff, quit asking for hand outs.
Is this kind of crap honestly allowed here? What a bozo.

You may want to budget closer to $10,000 for your PPL as well. The $6,700 will be spent long before your checkride.

Depends on how well and frequently he trains.... But I agree that the stated amount is too low.

I tell folks $8500.

$150/hr for plane and instructor x 50 hours = $7500.

Supplies, headset, exam fees (written and practical) = $1000​

Abazi's $6750 budget came from a web page for the flight school he is looking at. Take out the $150 for the written exam, divide $6600 by 50, and that's $132/hr. Not bad for plane and instructor on an Archer. But it doesn't budget for supplies, headset, or DPE.

There are a few aviation scholarships that are available for starting flight training. I applied to this one, but never got any sort of response so I can't say for certain whether it's still awarded.
http://www.icasfoundation.org/scholarship-hilliard

If you really want to get started now though, and have good credit and a very STABLE job, I'd say the 0% credit card option with balance transfers is your best bet to getting your certificate. Definitely better than the AOPA financing option. As an added benefit, people couldn't give you grief for "begging". It's just taking advantage of the products that credit card companies offer. I don't care for the bashing of a veteran for wanting to pursue a dream at any cost. It leads me to believe those people are Donald Trump supporters. :rofl:

Welcome to POA! First you have to understand that Folks here on POA are generally pretty helpful and very generous. The problem is that you have the Gofundme link in your signature. Why is that an issue for many? Well basically there are probably 2-3 people per year who come to POA asking for donations to fund their flight training. The general attitude here is work for it as most of us have saved and scrimped to get funds for training. I didn't get my ticket until my late 30s. Although you did not ask for donations here my advise is to lose the gofundme link on your signature and you would probably get a very different response.

Also keep in mind that if someone has that much difficulty raising funds for flight training, it is likely that they will have a hard time staying current and proficient and flying post ticket due to lack of funds.

All that said pursuing a dream is not done often enough. I would recommend a few things:

1) Budget everything in your life including saving for flying lessons. Deposit into that account monthly.
2) Get a part time job and use the income from that to exclusively save for flying. You would be surprised at how fast that ads up.
3) Start with a less expensive type of flying such as joining a glider club.
4) Seek out a local flying club that flies certified planes and inquire about flight training. Those clubs that allow for primary training often have hourly rates that are much more attractive than a regular flight school.
5) Research Aviation scholarships. They are out there. With your military service I think you would have some good chances.

Best of luck with your endeavor.

Depends on how well and frequently he trains.... But I agree that the stated amount is too low.

I tell folks $8500.

$150/hr for plane and instructor x 50 hours = $7500.

Supplies, headset, exam fees (written and practical) = $1000​

Abazi's $6750 budget came from a web page for the flight school he is looking at. Take out the $150 for the written exam, divide $6600 by 50, and that's $132/hr. Not bad for plane and instructor on an Archer. But it doesn't budget for supplies, headset, or DPE.

Agreed. I have seen more than a few generous people on POA donating such items as a used headset or supplies to a student in need. (Not as many willing to cut loose of their AvGas money though:no:) Always something to keep in mind.

Let's not paint with such a broad brush. I'm what's probably considered a "millennial," though I hate that term. I think "GoFundMe," in general, is absolutely begging; the web just lets people do it without having to go outside with a sign.

Admittedly, I'm absolutely a "I want it now" guy, but I support that mentality by working hard, budgeting, and sacrificing. I do not start up a "GoFundMe" for my hobbies, or even my needs.

Please... I was trying to be nice for a change. :rolleyes:

Rich

Since the sentiment is pretty universal regarding GoFundMe. Perhaps the "Rules of Conduct" could be updated to include any post soliciting funds unless for a registered charity. Then these posts could be deleted before everyone gets riled up. :idea:

Since the sentiment is pretty universal regarding GoFundMe. Perhaps the "Rules of Conduct" could be updated to include any post soliciting funds unless for a registered charity. Then these posts could be deleted before everyone gets riled up. :idea:
People can decide for themselves whether or not they want to donate. People can also decide whether or not to open this thread.

Rich, you and I are closer to the same generation I guess.

I don't see any difference in GoFundMe and standing on a street corner asking strangers for money to fund your <fill in the blank>. If you're not comfortable standing on the corner and asking in person, asking electronically is just more convenient and, like most things electronic, removes the potentially awkward personal relationship piece.

. . . .

I'm not especially comfortable with GoFundMe, either. It more rubs me the wrong way than anything else. But I don't think it's wrong. It's more of a "how I was raised" sort of thing. It results in different values, which you and I share in this instance. But your and my values being different than Dustin's in this regard doesn't mean that Dustin is a leech (about which we also agree).

I also think I get why Dustin pointed out his status as a vet and used the photo of himself in his uniform. From what little I know about GoFundMe, I gather that one of the biggest challenges is proving that you're not a leech, screwball, con artist, etc. So I'm giving Dustin the benefit of the doubt and assuming he was trying to establish credibility, not trying to guilt people or play an angle with their sympathies.

I could be wrong, of course. It's happened before. Whatever the case, the ****storm of presumptions and pejoratives bothered me.

Rich

First off, welcome to the forum. Like others said, start another thread introducing yourself and let this one move way down the forum posts list...

BUT.... While we are on the subject of donations.

What's everyone's take on donations for Pilots for Paws costs???

AND.... If anyone wants to donate a plane, preferably a low wing, or a high wing, or one that has a fresh annual and low SMOH time I'll take it...

What's everyone's take on donations for Pilots for Paws costs???

I have done many Pilots-N-Paws missions. It is a volunteer effort. If you cannot afford to do it my suggestion would be to give back in a way that you can. Also, it is a recognized charity. Keep your receipts and do the appropriate paperwork for the tax write off at the end of the year.

Back