Raising money for your PPL

I had this thing called a job I used to pay for my training.

What's everyone's take on donations for Pilots for Paws costs???

Please clarify....

You wish to donate some of your money to the PnP organizers?

Or you wish to accept a donation for a PnP flight you have done or will be doing?

I am a 27-year-old aspiring pilot with a mediocre job working security. I served for almost 7 years in the US Army as a M1A2 Abrams Tank Crew Member....
I am just looking for feedback from anyone with knowledgeable information on how your training was funded...
Due to my job not bringing in enough money for me to support my family of 6 (Wife and 4 kids) and my dream, obviously I am forced to support my family.

1. Thanks for your service!
2. Get a better than mediocre job. Lot of military friendly enployers out there.
3. Did you think about this dream of flight before you decided to have 4 kids?

I funded mine making $9 an hour at Autozone. I was paying $135/HR at the time, so it's not outlandish to do it for the same today.

Gotta sacrifice.

Most big flight schools offer student loans. I got a student loan when I started flying. Payments were cheap and I got it done...

Man, you guys are on the attack today... If I couldn't AFFORD it, I wouldn't be involved in aviation. I was simply asking an opinion.

I am very well aware what Pilots for Paws is, being a charity and 501c3 non profit association.

I was simply asking, because I have seen GoFundMe accounts for Pilots for Paws flights and have donated to them. I personally am FOR helping any animal get to where they need to go.

I have done many Pilots-N-Paws missions. It is a volunteer effort. If you cannot afford to do it my suggestion would be to give back in a way that you can. Also, it is a recognized charity. Keep your receipts and do the appropriate paperwork for the tax write off at the end of the year.

I was deferring the conversation off the poor sole who started this thread.

Please clarify....

You wish to donate some of your money to the PnP organizers?

Or you wish to accept a donation for a PnP flight you have done or will be doing?

I see several suggestions for debt, including credit card debt!

This seems like a fantastically bad idea. As in, big trap. Credit doesn't change what you can afford. It changes what you can afford right now, at a cost.

And those 0% credit cards turn into 20% at some point. Especially if a payment is late.

THE way to do this is budget, save, get a better job, etc. Credit is a great way to screw up. Asking for handouts isn't going to work.

GjYjLvGErsggg.gif

1. Thanks for your service!
2. Get a better than mediocre job. Lot of military friendly enployers out there.
3. Did you think about this dream of flight before you decided to have 4 kids?

I like #3...
I had one kid and got my nuts clipped.
1 kid and 3 airplanes vs 4 kids and 0 airplanes :)

My thoughts, exactly...

I see several suggestions for debt, including credit card debt!

And those 0% credit cards turn into 20% at some point. Especially if a payment is late.

Credit is a great way to screw up.

I think terms like "leech" and so forth are uncalled-for, pejorative, and assume facts not in evidence.

Facts don't matter around here, it's all about how you "feel". Just beat up on the new guy. Everyone does it, it must be ok, right?:dunno:

Is this kind of crap honestly allowed here? What a bozo.

Sadly, James does this crap all the time. It's actually encouraged for reasons I don't understand.

Finally, I waited until I was 44 before I learned to fly. I saved for my kids college, my 401K, my house, a couple of cars, and a reasonable savings BEFORE I spent one nickel on flight training.

But I didn't want to do it for a living. With 4 kids, you've got a long road ahead of you OP. But you can do it if you want it bad enough. I sincerely hope no one helps you with a handout. When you get there the right way, you'll value that more than anything else in the world. That will make you more successful than anything else will. I hope someone doesn't ruin that experience for you.

Facts don't matter around here, it's all about how you "feel".

Isn't that exactly how the newbies who think somebody should pay their way in life are acting? Seems like it goes both ways.

"I feel" like someone should pay for my next tank of diesel in my pickup truck too. I'm gonna start a gofundme. You gonna pay up?

I'm not saying some folks don't get a little mean about it, but we do have this thread at least quarterly if not monthly. Someone wants to fly. Someone is broke. Someone asks how to pay their bills.

Remember the year of never ending ERAU students wanting responses for their incredibly poorly thought out "surveys", to pass their degree programs, too?

I don't bother answering these threads with anything but a simple statement anymore, which is usually a variant of "get to work".

You see there's a large contingent of folks in our society that don't value the time and energy saved by listening to the "crusty old guy" anymore. "He's not 'nice' enough."

They ignore that the crusty old guy did it. And could do it again. And wouldn't bat an eyelash to step around them while they waste time whining about his behavior and move on toward the goal.

I purposefully and consistently sought out the crusty old guys in telecom to learn from because they saved me considerable time and mistakes by simply telling me the path I was taking to solve a problem was, and I quote, "retarded, son."

(They'd also be called out by the whiners who can't figure out conversational contexts, about using an "offensive" word like "retarded", nowadays. And they'd look at them with that "you really are stupid aren't you?" look and carry on.)

So my answer to the thread stands, because it worked for me. And I was dead broke. Want to go flying? One paycheck at a time. Every extra dollar. No debt.

In fact, it was "playing house" and running up debt that dragged me away from aviation for eight years. Once I quit that bad habit, I found it was much nicer to operate from a budget that included a reasonable flying stipend agreed upon by both of the adults in the house.

Nothing worth doing is usually cheap, easy, nor not going to require sacrifices. The four kids thing makes it harder and no mention of whether or not the spouse is on board.

The kids will survive hand me downs and PBJ if he's serious. Spouse on board will be mandatory. The neighbor's will look down their noses at her and the kids. So what?

Later, the kids will have buddy passes to travel with in their teens and will see the world, cheap, if he gets going now. He'll miss a lot of them growing up. The neighbor's will be jealous then.

OP: Hang this on your wall. Felix has a way with words. They're the hard truth.

6416d734c09e21e1d64df57ccaee4cd7.jpg

Here's to your success. If you're going to get there, you'll have to ignore the whiners who want you to believe you're a victim, when folks tell ya it's going to be hard from where you're at. It is.

Almost impossible if your spouse isn't supportive.

Facts.

But we've all met someone who's done it. And you can too.

Have fun. Go fly.

The podcast phrase from UCAP is great. Go do it now... or you'll only be another year older when you do.

As a tanker you should "always improve your position" and this is no different. You should have the post 9/11 GI Bill and that doesn't require the PPL to help fund your flying. If you don't have it then it is time to either cut back to a deployment style of living or get a second job. Do what it takes now or you never will.

99734e38-078b-4cf8-ac62-815daa5a860e-large.jpeg

It's all about priorities. I didn't start my training until I was 40 and it took me just under a year to earn my PPL. I have no kids, paid cash for my car and spent more than a decade building my own business to pay for flight training.

I am working on my IFR (which I am paying for myself) and am not real happy that I also have to pay for people on the GI bill to get additional ratings at no cost to them.

If you really want to fly, you'll find a way to fund it.

Last edited:
It's all about priorities. I didn't start my training until I was 40 and it took me just under a year to earn my PPL. I have no kids, paid cash for my car and spent more than a decade building my own business to pay for flight training.

I am working on my IFR (which I am paying for myself) and am not real happy that I also have to pay for people on the GI bill to get additional ratings at no cost to them.

If you really want to fly, you'll find a way to fund it.

Seriously? I paid a pretty penny for my education. Ask me some time, I'd love to trade war stories from my 20 years. You?

am not real happy that I also have to pay for people on the GI bill to get additional ratings at no cost to them.

Wow, just wow. Nice respect for our military mister. Where'd you serve?

Retired US Air Force

Isn't that exactly how the newbies who think somebody should pay their way in life are acting? Seems like it goes both ways.

Nate, after reading the above and the rest of what you wrote, I stand by what I said. It's only about how YOU feel.

Who knows what the other guy is thinking, but we will never know because all of you drove him away. Again.

You had a chance to educate him but once again, you yelled at him.

I'd never contribute to a go fund me campaign. Neither would most other people my age. But when we were younger? A lot of us would have.

There are more perspectives than yours. You don't have to agree with them, but your refusal to even consider them says way more about you than the OP.

First, welcome. There are a lot of folks here that are good people, some that are not so good. Suggestion, asking for on first post funding probably not a good idea. Get a new login and start fresh. Some will remember this post if you continue using this handle.

Second, consider financing if you can't get it done right now. But start with a decent savings amount and find a place to do it in an inexpensive plane such as a 150/152. Try to fly a lot so you don't waste $$. Be efficient. Use a sim where you can.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I concur. Whether or not people happen to agree with your use of crowd funding or your choice to emphasize that you are a veteran, I think terms like "leech" and so forth are uncalled-for, pejorative, and assume facts not in evidence.

I also think there's a certain generational thing that's operative here. Crowd funding and the like would have been considered "begging" by most people in my generation, but yours has a different outlook on such matters. That doesn't make it "wrong," even though the concept itself may irritate those of us who were raised with older values.

As for your actual question, other than crowd sourcing or working for the flight school in some way, your basic options are either to work and save up the money, or to borrow it. If you choose the latter option, AOPA used to have an arrangement with a bank (BOA back then) for flight training financing. They may still have one.

You may also want to consider a loan from a credit union, especially one like Navy Fed or PenFed that's military-specific and veteran-friendly. If you are a USAA member, they also might be willing to lend you the money. They run a bank in addition to being an insurance company. I've never used their banking services (I'm more of a credit-union guy), but I know fellow veterans who do bank with USAA and who swear by them.

Rich
Actually, there are many grants and scholarships available too. Carl Valeri has a great list.

Last edited:
I agree, Dustin, that you earned your GI benefits and I heartily thank you for your service. In the instance where your benefits don't pay, I'd say good old fashioned work is your best option.

As a tanker you should "always improve your position" and this is no different. You should have the post 9/11 GI Bill and that doesn't require the PPL to help fund your flying. If you don't have it then it is time to either cut back to a deployment style of living or get a second job. Do what it takes now or you never will.

99734e38-078b-4cf8-ac62-815daa5a860e-large.jpeg

Awesome pic, it makes me wish I had served. I hope the OP sees your post.

To the OP, here are some suggestions, but let me start of with my understanding of your situation (I was there too, with some wrinkles):
1. You want to get a PPL and don't have the money to do it.
2. You have 4 kids (I have 7, so I can feel your pain).
3. You have a mediocre job.

Let me answer those in reverse order:
3. Get another job at night, if you can. It's amazing how, and I cannot explain it logically, that working more opens up more opportunities. This will solve two of your problems: The first being money, and the second is the mediocre job. The "if you can" part is where I wish you'd listen. "Being tired", "I want to ...", and "I can't" are cop-outs. I'm 46, working on getting my PPL, and have a job that I work from 5:30 - 4:30pm, and then, if needed I could get a second job. It's about what you want, and what you're prepared to sacrifice to get it. From Bill Gates to the recent college grad, we all get 24 hours in a day. How you manage that time is up to you.

2. 4 kids... They are a blessing, and have them be a motivator for you. If you want to have more, I'd look at getting a more stable job prior to having them. You are their everything, and be there for them. (on the 7 kids thing, the first Mrs. thequick had her tubes tied (Hey! they were coming out of her!!!), and the 2nd Mrs. thequick wanted 3 more... who am I to say no to that?)

1. Here is where it gets tricky: How badly do you want it? Are you willing to get a second job to fund it? Do you have friends that have PPL or are CPI that are willing to help you with the costs? Here is a suggestion that I make, and do so respectfully: Find a church and go to it. Serve the people there for at least a year without the expectation of getting anything (ie. Volunteer for the Christmas Tree pick-up, bring food to the social events, volunteer the family to clean the church, among others. SERVE THEM.), and eventually, you will see that there are people there willing to help you get what you want. Your network will grow, and people will see you as a good investment of their time. As others have said, go to the airport and serve there too. The thing is that churches are full of people that want to help, but they are people too, and may be suspicious of people that show up and say, "here I am, and this is what I want from you." (A short story on my experience: I went to church to meet women, and the weird thing is that when I found God, I found that it was easier to meet them. so I'm offering that advice to you. Serve.) A better thing would be to say, "here we are, how can we serve you."

As others have suggested, listen to Dave Ramsey. Here's the link:
http://www.daveramsey.com/show/home/?snid=show
It may be painful at first, but listen with your wife so you're on the same page with money. (editorial comment: There are those that say "money isn't everything", but they're usually broke, so how would they know?)

OK, I'm rambling now, but a different tactic may be in order, and that is to be a blessing to others, working hard, and as you do that, your odds of getting what you want improve.

Just remember to pay it back after you get what you want, and be a blessing to those that need you.

Last edited:
Nate, after reading the above and the rest of what you wrote, I stand by what I said. It's only about how YOU feel.

Who knows what the other guy is thinking, but we will never know because all of you drove him away. Again.

You had a chance to educate him but once again, you yelled at him.

I'd never contribute to a go fund me campaign. Neither would most other people my age. But when we were younger? A lot of us would have.

There are more perspectives than yours. You don't have to agree with them, but your refusal to even consider them says way more about you than the OP.

I didn't yell at him. Nor was I in any way mean to him. Others may have. Take it up with them. Don't lie in public about what I said.

I said he will have to take it "one paycheck at a time". I doubt he was in any way surprised by that fact.

If the paycheck doesn't meet the goal, it's time for another plan. Or choosing a different goal.

We'll all be here to cheer him on if he chooses to pursue aviation. I see no lack of that here.

Take this out a bit further.

I'm also not buying that any kid who went through the Army can't handle a little hard truth about his finances and take appropriate actions to succeed. His drill Sargent in Boot probably had less nice things to say about his performance than anyone here did.

The advice given, whether given the way you, or he, like to hear it or not, was simple. Budget and do it.

Ever met anyone with four kids who also participated in a very expensive hobby, who wasn't busting some serious butt from sun up to sun down, and wheeling and dealing constantly to make it happen? I haven't. This is nothing new. He knew what he was getting into.

I've seen those folks who do it. I don't think the one friend I have who's a broadcast engineer with seven kids ever sleeps. He's not into airplanes but he's into some other quite expensive hobbies. He barters his time and skills quite a bit to stay in it.

He's also quite happy with his life choices. I can hear him now, if someone suggested to him that he should post a gofundme for his hobby activities. He'd laugh and say, "That's ridiculous. I'd never ask someone else to pay for my fun."

Meanwhile back to specifics of some
things that were said here, I have no problem at all paying for the OP's GI Bill. He should use every penny of that thing to his advantage.

Those who lamented that one, have very little respect for those who'll volunteer to go in harm's way for them. Or for the misguided politicians they vote for, anyway. Either way, they sent them. And either way, they volunteered, and went, and deserve a significant measure of social gratitude. Not to mention every penny of the contract they signed up for.

Anyway... He's either out humping to the library for a book on personal finance now after a long chat with the missus about their goals, and headed toward success, or he's still wondering why all those people didn't give him the easy way to his goal of flying.

Flying is expensive. I haven't met anyone who does it yet, who didn't give up something to make it happen for themselves. It doesn't matter in the slightest how we "feel" about it.

It's either worth the sacrifices necessary or it's not. That's a personal choice.

Dad used to say, "Do you really want my advice or do you just want me to tell you it's going to be okay?"

If the only way to placate the touchy feely folk who haven't made their big decisions about their life yet, is to say that, and wait, on every thread that asked "How do I pay for flying?", we'll be waiting a long time with some folks, and others will suck it up and realize there's something they don't want to hear coming and deal with it.

I tend to believe this young man and many others like him are of the "suck it up" sort. In fact I hope they're in the majority.

Frankly they're the only ones worth answering the question for. The others aren't ready to tackle their lives as adults yet. They have other work to do before worrying about flying.

I think Army guy will do just fine. That's my "perspective". His kids will grow up having had enough food and clothes and shelter to make it, and he'll figure out how to go flying. Maybe his spouse will be supportive, maybe she won't. That one's a toss up. Flip a coin. Hope he married well.

Doesn't matter how I feel about it. Or what my perspective is at all. That's the part you're missing. I'd love to see him succeed. And I think he can. Doesn't matter in the slightest what I think.

Either he will go flying or he won't. He will either put his butt in an airplane seat because it's important to him, or he won't.

He needs to decide if he values himself and his dreams as much as he values other things. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.

My perspective (or yours, or even his) on whether or not he does it, is just time wasting filler between now and when he does it. Or doesn't do it.

Answer remains the same as originally stated.

Q: How do I pay for flying?
A: One paycheck at a time.

Hasn't changed. And won't change. Because it's not fictional "perspectives" nor "feelings".

I spent 3.5 years on my PPL, flying as funds allowed for around 70 or 75 hours after check ride. Do the math to see my average flight time per week. Some would say to save up the money before starting, but I am impatient. I kept my head in the game between lessons by reading voraciously, and this forum was a big part of that.

I am solidly middle class and was helping to support a girlfriend and her two kids. It can be done if you want it, and a GoFundMe account is not the answer, in my opinion.

Good luck on your go find me account, using your veteran status,is not a great idea,makes one think ,you believe we owe you. I worked two jobs to afford flying. Thank you for your service good luck.

How do you even know if it's legit? And the funds will go for their intended purpose?

Wow, just wow. Nice respect for our military mister. Where'd you serve?

It is hard to respect a military that is more involved in nation-building than in defending the country. That is not the fault of the military individuals of course, but rather of our leaders (none of whom I voted for). From my perspective I see that most of my tax dollars are wasted - and not just those spent on the military. I think you should be entitled to everything that you signed up for and the government needs to fulfill its contract to you. I am just not happy they made the contract in the first place.

I lived outside the USA for the past 12 years (and paid US taxes even in years I never set foot on US soil) so perhaps I have a different perspective. I am sorry if it bothers some people, but I can't change how I feel.

I believe the OP needs to figure out a way to earn the money to pay for his ticket like the vast majority of the folks here have. It's expensive for everyone.

Last edited:
Facts don't matter around here, it's all about how you "feel". Just beat up on the new guy. Everyone does it, it must be ok, right?:dunno:

Sadly, James does this crap all the time. It's actually encouraged for reasons I don't understand.

Finally, I waited until I was 44 before I learned to fly. I saved for my kids college, my 401K, my house, a couple of cars, and a reasonable savings BEFORE I spent one nickel on flight training.

But I didn't want to do it for a living. With 4 kids, you've got a long road ahead of you OP. But you can do it if you want it bad enough. I sincerely hope no one helps you with a handout. When you get there the right way, you'll value that more than anything else in the world. That will make you more successful than anything else will. I hope someone doesn't ruin that experience for you.

Oh but facts DO matter. The facts are he has a lousy income, a wife and four children and obviously their welfare is first and foremost. He should study for a degree or a way to make a better income to provide for the family before worrying about a pilots license and its future expenses like aircrft rental, purchased, upkeep, etc. It's wake up time!

I didn't yell at him. Nor was I in any way mean to him. Others may have. Take it up with them. Don't lie in public about what I said.

That was quite a diatribe. Hope you feel better. In answer to your accusations, I did "take it up with them". You jumped in to defend them and yourself, so I responded.

And the lying comment? Priceless. Nate, I've read your stuff for a long time, and realize I'll have better luck arguing with a post because you don't listen to anything but what you say. There is no room for another perspective or another approach. Just kick their butt and move on. Rinse and repeat.

Again. I stand by what I said. Last time I checked, this wasn't the military. So the bulk of us don't hold the authority those folks do. I think the approach should be different. You don't. He's gone and likely not returning, so I stand by what I said. We could've educated him, instead he got his butt kicked and he's gone.

Next thread someone will be whining about "no one flies anymore", and they'll all wonder why... You guys drove another one away. But who cares, right? It's expensive for everyone.

Read how some folks "helped" him. They made it clear that gofundme wouldn't work, but never told him he was stupid, a leach, clueless, or not working hard enough. See the difference. Go ahead, it won't hurt.

Oh but facts DO matter. The facts are he has a lousy income, a wife and four children and obviously their welfare is first and foremost. He should study for a degree or a way to make a better income to provide for the family before worrying about a pilots license and its future expenses like aircrft rental, purchased, upkeep, etc. It's wake up time!

How about the fact that he's 27, most of his experience is the military, he's still learning and making mistakes, and has a slightly twisted reality about how civilian life works. He needs an education from a group of experienced people he reached out and got turned away, or exposed to some foolish view of "tough love".

Unsurprisingly, it didn't work very well. He's certainly "awake now" but not likely thinking the way you or others want him too. Unless you want him to think this forum is full of judgmental jerks.

How about the fact that he's 27, most of his experience is the military, he's still learning and making mistakes, and has a slightly twisted reality about how civilian life works. He needs an education from a group of experienced people he reached out and got turned away, or exposed to some foolish view of "tough love".

Unsurprisingly, it didn't work very well. He's certainly "awake now" but not likely thinking the way you or others want him too. Unless you want him to think this forum is full of judgmental jerks.

As my first Sargent used to exclaim....." Boo Hoo , go get your t.s. Card punched. Time to grow up."

Hello everyone. Just a bit about myself. I am a 27-year-old aspiring pilot with a mediocre job working security. I served for almost 7 years in the US Army as a M1A2 Abrams Tank Crew Member. The military brought me to Texas and I have been living there for almost 10 years now. I am just looking for feedback from anyone with knowledgeable information on how your training was funded. I know that me being a Veteran really helps me out funding wise for acquiring ratings. But it is of no use for me to actually get moving towards the completion of my PPL. I have been looking for any way possible for me to get the funding I need for me to accomplish this dream. I have made a go fund me and have actually got quite a few donations which will help me a bit but I am not even close to the funding needed. Due to my job not bringing in enough money for me to support my family of 6 (Wife and 4 kids) and my dream, obviously I am forced to support my family. There has been a plethora of individuals telling me to use the G.I. Bill to accomplish my PPL. They fail to understand that the G.I. Bill does not cover PPL Training. (As Seen Here http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/flight_training.asp ) I have also looked into financing the training but I just simply can’t afford it. I have reached out to the training site at my local airport I would like to attend. Here is what they said.
ME: Good day,
My name is Dustin. I am very interested in attending this flight school to receive my PPL. I saw on your site that you are in the process of getting the part 141 status? I was just wondering how much longer the processing time will take if you have an estimate. I am also curious as to how much would actually be covered?
THEM: Dustin,
We are now a 141 flight school. We do take GI benefits however; the GI bill will not pay for your initial private license. They require you to pay it. It will pay for everything beyond that training. Please feel free to call me at the number below to discuss.
Thank you,

Craig Caddell
Central Texas Flight Training
(254) 760-3761

My end goal would be to become a CFI.
So from what I have stated, what are my options? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!!!
https://www.gofundme.com/abazi

OP,
Welcome to the forum. What you did right was ask people how they funded their training.

" I am just looking for feedback from anyone with knowledgeable information on how your training was funded."

What you did wrong and couldn't have known was that some people cant see past the word gofundme and even attempt constructive feedback.

So from my perspective there are 3 ways to fund your training:

1. Make more money. (E.g. side business, second job, work in trade for hours, etc.)
2. Spend less (I know - tough to do on a minimal salary while feeding a family of 6)
3. Beg or borrow. This is only a good option if this is going to be your career. The fact is that a good portion of us went to college and had help from family or took out a loan to make it through to get to our career. I know I had both. If this is your career path, then do what you need to get to PPL and then let the GI bill get you the rest of the way. If it's a hobby see #1 and #2.

BTW I belong to a flight club. There was a girl in the military who wanted to fly and came by all the local flight schools, told her story and offered to volunteer for flight hours. That worked at our club. Admittedly, it may have helped that she was of the fairer sex, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

I have a sneaky suspicion that OP will never log in again and see all these responses :)

That was quite a diatribe. Hope you feel better. In answer to your accusations, I did "take it up with them". You jumped in to defend them and yourself, so I responded.

I didn't defend them. I stated that there's a request like this per month and it's no surprise they're responding the way they respond. Read. Literally. Word for word.

And the lying comment? Priceless.

You lied about what I said, and I called you on it. Priceless? Sure. Why not? Whatever that means.

Nate, I've read your stuff for a long time, and realize I'll have better luck arguing with a post because you don't listen to anything but what you say. There is no room for another perspective or another approach. Just kick their butt and move on. Rinse and repeat.

I listened to your comments and gave you a very good description of how it was useless blather. I guess you didn't read that part.

Another lie about me not listening? You'd be hard pressed to maintain that position since I clearly answered your points. Which had very little substance.

I listened and *discerned* that you're not helping him any more than the other commenters. What did you offer up?

Either he's going to go flying or he's not, my "perspective" on it is positive and I believe he will. Doesn't matter at all. Do it, or don't do it, are his options. They're his options and decisions to make.

All you've done is repeat the mantra that someone needs to have your opinions about these magical "perspectives". Great. Care to share your magic sauce for him and his scenario that will fix his fiscal problems?

I bet they sound a whole lot like mine when you finally get around to stating the objective goals he needs to hit.

List them. Number them. Let's see them.

Again. I stand by what I said. Last time I checked, this wasn't the military. So the bulk of us don't hold the authority those folks do. I think the approach should be different. You don't. He's gone and likely not returning, so I stand by what I said. We could've educated him, instead he got his butt kicked and he's gone.

The approach to what? Telling him he needs more income, less outflow, or both? There's a special approach to that?

"Hey kid, we were all broke once, too... you'll figure out a way...", seems about right.

I have no authority over him. Only he does. Where do you believe I've stated I have authority over anyone? I said he can take critical commentary if he survived Boot. That's all I said.

I've clearly stated the exact opposite of anyone having authority over him multiple times. His paycheck, his goals. In fact, he may be a little too used to taking orders if he wasn't in charge of something in the Army. His choices now. He gets to give the orders for his own life. He also gets to bark at himself when he's wrong and fix it. Nobody around to tell him it's time to hit the books or the street and take charge of his scenarios. He's out and got the instant promotion to Generalissimo de Life.

Next thread someone will be whining about "no one flies anymore", and they'll all wonder why... You guys drove another one away. But who cares, right? It's expensive for everyone.

Same number generally fly today as have in all of history. There was a bump after WWII of trained pilots and favorable tax code that allowed Wichita to crank out airplanes for a couple of decades and then it collapsed under the weight of massive tort abuse. Wichita lobbied for ten years to get some relief and got it, but the tax code benefits and pre-trained pilots were gone. They have to sell to the self-motivated now who didn't get a free pilots license to kickstart their purchase interest.

Here's a shocker: I think it's cool that people fly, and I like to hear it when they do, but I can't pay for their habits any more than you can. If the economy sucks for aviation I also have virtually zero control over that either.

I don't think it does, actually. I think anybody can fly but they'll probably drive old cars, live in a neighborhood well below their means, and need to up their game in the whole "means" department, and they won't be dining on caviar and Bon Bons.

Heck, nothing "probably" about it. They WILL have to do all of the above.

Ample opportunity is available to do so. It won't happen overnight. It took me 19 years to be able to buy into a co-ownership. He can do it in five if he applies himself and shuns consumer debt right now.

This isn't a financial forum. Should I have just posted that he needs to start at DaveRamsey.com and MotleyFool.com (insert whatever sites you like here)?

Read how some folks "helped" him. They made it clear that gofundme wouldn't work, but never told him he was stupid, a leach, clueless, or not working hard enough. See the difference. Go ahead, it won't hurt.

I wasn't that negative. In fact my answer was the least obnoxious one. I told him you fly paycheck to paycheck. Like everybody else.

Go read what I posted to him and then feel free to whine at someone else. You want a target to whine at, but you're too chicken to go after the actual offenders who created your complaint. I'm not them. Go get them. Name them. I don't care. But don't pretend it was me.

I've helped every young pilot I've ever met in person who was struggling. Gave em books, gave em headsets, answered questions, whatever helped.

I didn't get em a job, but the house needs painting if they're good at that, and the tractor needs a seat bracket welded on. If they have a tower construction business and they can beat the price of the guy I am using, the job's all theirs. Airplane could use a bath, too. Wife would like the carpets cleaned too. I'll pay cash.

Hey one more thing that may not surprise you: I really don't care about what you think of my style. If you expand on your "perspective" commentary with objective goals and how they should be applied, I'd respect that.

Or just go after the people who you think are the problem you want to solve that is banging around in your head. I won't get in your way. I'll point out why they do it, but I don't care if they do or not. You do.

If your concern is that the site is not friendly enough, look in the mirror. I didn't attack the kid, and the only one arguing incessantly in this thread while claiming that I did, is you.

If the Army guy comes back, I'll happily look over his budget if that's what it takes and he wants to fly. He'll probably need a second job. I needed three total for a while.

Nate, Nate, Nate. Another 10,000 word essay to essentially tell me that you have this perspective nailed and I don't. Which. is. what. I. said. three. posts. ago.

Only your perspective matters. We got it.

Cue the next 10,000 word essay, because you also have to have the last word.

Hello everyone. Just a bit about myself. I am a 27-year-old aspiring pilot with a mediocre job working security. I served for almost 7 years in the US Army as a M1A2 Abrams Tank Crew Member. The military brought me to Texas and I have been living there for almost 10 years now. I am just looking for feedback from anyone with knowledgeable information on how your training was funded. I know that me being a Veteran really helps me out funding wise for acquiring ratings. But it is of no use for me to actually get moving towards the completion of my PPL. I have been looking for any way possible for me to get the funding I need for me to accomplish this dream. I have made a go fund me and have actually got quite a few donations which will help me a bit but I am not even close to the funding needed. Due to my job not bringing in enough money for me to support my family of 6 (Wife and 4 kids) and my dream, obviously I am forced to support my family. There has been a plethora of individuals telling me to use the G.I. Bill to accomplish my PPL. They fail to understand that the G.I. Bill does not cover PPL Training. (As Seen Here http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/flight_training.asp ) I have also looked into financing the training but I just simply can’t afford it. I have reached out to the training site at my local airport I would like to attend. Here is what they said.
ME: Good day,
My name is Dustin. I am very interested in attending this flight school to receive my PPL. I saw on your site that you are in the process of getting the part 141 status? I was just wondering how much longer the processing time will take if you have an estimate. I am also curious as to how much would actually be covered?
THEM: Dustin,
We are now a 141 flight school. We do take GI benefits however; the GI bill will not pay for your initial private license. They require you to pay it. It will pay for everything beyond that training. Please feel free to call me at the number below to discuss.
Thank you,

Craig Caddell
Central Texas Flight Training
(254) 760-3761

My end goal would be to become a CFI.
So from what I have stated, what are my options? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!!!
https://www.gofundme.com/abazi
I really dislike when people whore their veteran status for unrelated handouts. It's pathetic. Have some respect.

On another note, if in seven years of active duty pay and benefits you couldn't set aside $5,000-10,000 for your lifelong dream, then you lack money management skills. Handouts from other people won't fix that. Learn how to handle money first. There has been a lot of good advice here to follow in that regard.

Third, yes, the GI Bill will pay for your private training if it's part of a professional pilot degree program. If you're goal is to become an airline pilot, the GI Bill can help you. It requires effort and sacrifice on your end, though. It's not free money.

I really dislike when people whore their veteran status for unrelated handouts. It's pathetic. Have some respect.

When I said the same thing in a slightly different way, I was chastised for "not supporting our military". :nono: Be careful. :wink2:

Back