radio noise

blueskyMD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bigfoot297
Over last few months when I fly through rain or around the area of thunderstorm I am getting weird noises on the radio and sounds like if you are trying to listen to old radio from 1940s and tuning into distance AM station. I had one missing static wick on the tail and I was pretty sure it will go away when I install a new one but no luck. i did replace it last week. It happened today again while flying through rain. The worst part is it always happens at the worst possible time like flying through busy class B airspace or when ATC is trying to vector you around an area of bad weather. Any ideas what to check next. On clear days and even flying through clouds no problem.

Sounds so me like poor electrical bond of the wicks to the flight controls and of course flight controls to the airplane. Often times wicks are improperly installed, electrical bond not verified at installation and never checked at any maintenance event. Also bonding braids from flight controls to the airplane are either broken or missing altogether

Jets have them on an inspection cycle to test them.

I posted about this a few weeks ago. In my case, replacing all the static wicks completely fixed my issue. Not saying this will fix your issue but it is cheap/easy to make sure. All the wicks need to be tested to ensure they are working properly (or replace the others). They have to be installed metal to metal. Make sure there is no paint or anything else in between them. Also the control surfaces need to be properly bonded.

edit: What @bnt83 said. We were typing at the same time.

Thanks
Next step will e to replace or test all static wicks

Thanks
Next step will e to replace or test all static wicks

Before spending big bucks on wicks (they aren't cheap) use your eyeballs and look at the control surface hinges and see if there are small braided bonding straps, or if they're broken. They often are. They ground the ailerons, elevator and rudder to the airframe, since the hinges cannot be relied upon to provide a good path to drain off static charges.

Back