Radials vs Turbines

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
From my friend, the crusty old Navy mechanic

THIS IS FOR ALL WHO FLEW RADIAL ENGINE POWERED AIRCRAFT AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER

We gotta get rid of those turbines; they're ruining aviation and our hearing... A turbine is too simple-minded, it has no mystery. The air travels through it in a straight line and doesn't pick up any of the pungent fragrance of engine oil or pilot sweat.

Anybody can start a turbine. You just need to move a switch from "OFF" to "START" and then remember to move it back to "ON" after a while. My computer is harder to start.

Cranking a radial engine requires skill, finesse and style. You have to seduce it into starting. It's like waking up a horny mistress. On some planes, the pilots aren't even allowed to do it...

Turbines start by whining for a while, then give a lady-like poof and start whining a little louder.

Radial engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle, click-click, BANG, more rattles, another BANG, a big macho fart or two, more clicks, a lot more smoke and finally a serious low pitched roar. We like that. It's a GUY thing...

When you start a radial engine, your mind is engaged and you can concentrate on the flight ahead. Starting a turbine is like flicking on a ceiling fan. It is useful, but hardly exciting.

When you have started his radial engine successfully, your crew chief looks up at you like he'd let you kiss his girl too!

Turbines don't break or catch fire often enough, which leads to aircrew boredom, complacency and inattention. A radial engine at speed looks and sounds like it's going to blow any minute. This helps concentrate the mind! Turbines don't have enough control levers or gauges to keep a pilot's attention. There's nothing to fiddle with during long flights.

Turbines smell like a Boy Scout camp full of Coleman Lamps.

Radial engines smell like God intended machines to smell.

gkainz said:
Turbines don't break or catch fire often enough, which leads to aircrew boredom, complacency and inattention. A radial engine at speed looks and sounds like it's going to blow any minute. This helps concentrate the mind! Turbines don't have enough control levers or gauges to keep a pilot's attention. There's nothing to fiddle with during long flights.

LOL! Maybe they can creat a "faux" radial from a turbine. Make you add oil, play with fake levers, computer altered sound, make it fail more, etc....

Turbines smell like a Boy Scout camp full of Coleman Lamps.

Radial engines smell like God intended machines to smell.

Ha, I was on the ramp at Centennial a few days ago. Just me the Tiger and about 16 Bizjets. All I could smell was kerosene. Just when I cranked up, every jet had to read back their clearances and start to taxi. I coulnd't get a word in edgewise with ground. A lot of them where going to Aspen filled with the "beautiful people". :princess:

That sums it up nicely doesn't it.

There's no ohhh-ahhh-drool factor in screechers either. They only generate fingers in the ears disease.
OTOH radials empty every hangar on the airport and even the screecher pilots wander over to take a good long look with envy.

fgcason said:
That sums it up nicely doesn't it.

There's no ohhh-ahhh-drool factor in screechers either. They only generate fingers in the ears disease.
OTOH radials empty every hangar on the airport and even the screecher pilots wander over to take a good long look with envy.

You got that right. I can be in the middle of pre-flighting and the sound of a radial makes me put a finger on the checklist and go have a look. Sure, I'm going flying too, but there is NOTHING like the sound of a big radial engine. One of the reasons I love the annual Gathering of Warbirds at OLM. You get to hear and watch a lot of radials fire up during the day.

I like it. Thanks for posting it.

Here's a piture of my "horny mistress"

Joe
Don_Joe_Formation2.jpg

OK, Radial fans: (me, too!)

The sound of 6 3500 hp R4360 radial engines (on a B-36) flying overhead.

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
OK, Radial fans: (me, too!)

The sound of 6 3500 hp R4360 radial engines (on a B-36) flying overhead.

-Skip
Oh how that BEGS for the video portion!!!!

Ghery said:
You got that right. I can be in the middle of pre-flighting and the sound of a radial makes me put a finger on the checklist and go have a look. Sure, I'm going flying too, but there is NOTHING like the sound of a big radial engine. One of the reasons I love the annual Gathering of Warbirds at OLM. You get to hear and watch a lot of radials fire up during the day.

You have more presence of mind than I do. I just drop everything right where I'm standing and wander over. Besides, after being away from the plane that long, I have to start the preflight over again anyway...

Curiously if you watch people on the street that otherwise don't even know aviation exists, they don't notice jets at all excluding very low level (through the front door out the back door) Thunderbird/Blue Angel airshow stuff. GA prop planes are completely ignored especially since they're often drowned out by SUV's and 55 gallon drum exhaust systems on cars. But put a DC3 over their house at 1500 AGL...just like the airport, you start emptying houses followed shortly by oohhhh-aaahhhh comments.

Back