Race takeoff collision

That pilot either has the biggest luck bag ever, or just emptied it completely in that one event:eek:
Thankfully the pilot behind him couldn't track the center line.

There is a procedure for an airplane dropping out of the start before the green flag. Thom followed it. The racer opens the canopy, and one of the observers raises his arms, then the starter raises the red flag. It appears, and I was not there this year, that that was done, but someone misinterpreted the signals and started the take off. Everyone else followed. There is very little visabilility on the to. Steve didn't even see them until he hit him. I'm just glad every one is alright .

Bob

The ntsb has people on the field all week, in a non fatal accident they do a quick write up and that's about it.

Bob

By the time Thom raised his canopy, those aircraft were rolling. No doubt, there must have been a delay by the time the canopy was raised, to when the red flag came up. No way those pilots are going to see that flag, that late. Just bad timing.

Jeez! These guys are balling up aircraft left and right. :eek:

I don't want to monday morning quarterback, all these people are great pilots, but when landing multiple aircraft you never stay on the center line on roll out. once the tail is down and slowing down you go to the cold side so the aircraft behind has room to go by If a miscalculation happens. I know the t-6's have always briefed that.

Just bad timing.
One airplane following briefed procedures and rolling blind into another that's stopped on a runway as part of briefed procedures is a lot more than 'just bad timing.' If one or more wasn't following procedures it doesn't get any better.

Nauga,
and his running rendezvous

"It's not my fault, then".....

At least he did show a tiny speck of concern for the other guy, but seemed more concerned with blaming someone else.

At least he did show a tiny speck of concern for the other guy, but seemed more concerned with blaming someone else.
That's not how I read it - he was trying to figure out what went wrong - did he signal correctly, did the observers see his signal? Relevant questions as to WHY it happened.

That's not how I read it - he was trying to figure out what went wrong - did he signal correctly, did the observers see his signal? Relevant questions as to WHY it happened.

Possibly. Before flying I used to race cars for a living. After a wreck I was more concerned about the safety of the other driver(s), not who was at fault. A wreck meant that money earned just went down considerably, so of course I would be upset, but the money lost did not matter until I knew everyone was Ok. I have burn scars on my right arm from pulling another driver out of a burning car that just destroyed my car. The blaming and fighting would happen afterwards.... followed by drinking mass quantities of beer.

One airplane following briefed procedures and rolling blind into another that's stopped on a runway as part of briefed procedures is a lot more than 'just bad timing.' If one or more wasn't following procedures it doesn't get any better.

Nauga,
and his running rendezvous

I'm saying the timing of the racer raising his canopy, was bad timing, or unlucky if you will. If he would have raised it 5 secs earlier, possibly the red flag would have been out with enough time to prevent the others from rolling.

I took it that way to! He seemed worried he had done something wrong and put the other pilot in danger. Wanted to make sure he hadn't caused the accident. Just my $.02

tip: nothing happens in that video til 0:59

one minute x 500 people = I just saved the world 8.3hours

Yup wish I had read your post before watching the whole thing, but hey, tis only a minute.

His first question when the firefighter walked up was "is he okay". The first guy who assisted wouldn't know anything about the other pilot.

Here's a video from the other plane...

Reading "his" description I'm not sure I'm buying the line where he says he tried to lift off and bank right.

Mostly because I see zero aileron deflection prior to impact.

He may have tried to lift off, but he should have let the bank thing go unsaid... the video doesn't lie on that one.

Granted I'm watching on a phone and not my big screen, but even the newbie of us all know if you need a bank below flying speed, you can get one with FULL application of aileron.

If there's a tiny one there, it's really small.

I put "his" in quotes up there because there's a very good chance that the copy on this video was written by a PR person.

Back