R-ATP

jbarrass

Cleared for Takeoff
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jbarrass
Question to the hive for my son. For context, he's a HS senior who is interested in a flying career, he is currently a private pilot (ASEL & ASES) building hours in our AA1A and has his college applications submitted to schools with and without the R-ATP option. A couple have accepted and the rest are pending.

So..... two questions.

1. The R-ATP schools on his list are Baylor (accepted), Liberty (accepted), Riddle (pending), Purdue (Pending), and Ohio State (pending). Does the hive have any thoughts about the relative merits of each? Any alumni?

2. We know he can't get his Commercial or instrument before getting there. There is some gray area with other ratings. It seems like a good idea to get his Multi so he can get hours when we fly the Seneca. Any thoughts on this? He doesn't want to screw it up.

Thanks.

Purdue in a heartbeat if he gets in. Excellent school overall and very solid in aviation. My son went there, is doing great in the real world. Not a pilot, but several of his friends are working for the mainlines and doing well.

Mitch Daniels, head of the school has done a great job of focusing on achievement vs PC stuff.

I second that. Their approach is MASTERY centered, and not just pass centered.

But they don't give grades away there. If you get a degree from the university in Lafayette you earned it.

Purdue has held tuition steady for the last 11-12 years (crazy).

Mitch Daniels retired last year.

Purdue engineering programs are ranked in the top 5 to 10 in the country.

Best bang for the buck.

Liberty is expanding their aviation program in every way. They recently acquired New London Airport and intend to open an aviation maintenence program based there. They are looking to stay on the top end of the aviation schools. I am sure they have their faults, but any business that is expanding must be doing something right.

Back