R-ATP Requirements?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Chatted with a local CFI who said that someone can get an R-ATP even if they don’t hold a Bachelor's degree with an aviation major from an FAA-approved school. This doesn’t seem right, based off the information that I’ve found. I have a four-year degree but it’s not from an FAA-approved school and it’s not aviation related, so I don’t think I’d qualify.

Am I missing something here?

Yes if you have 1500 hours TT but only 200 xc. If you have the full 500 xc you can get a full ATP.

You can also have a R-ATP based on age. I was 22 when I got my ATP at my regional and was issued an R-ATP. Once I turned 23, the FAA gave me an unrestricted ATP.

Yes.

To make it simple you can get one without a bachelors from an approved university from the FAA list.

ANYONE regardless of educational background can get an R-ATP at 21 years of age, 200xc time and 1,500 total. So anyone can benifit from the 2 year age reduction and xc time reduction

In addition to the age and xc time reduction someone without a bachelors can also benefit from the reduced total time if:

- Associates Degree from an approved university: 1,250 hours total time

-military aviator with the required forms: 750 hours total time.

61.160 for the R-ATP requirements

You can also have a R-ATP based on age. I was 22 when I got my ATP at my regional and was issued an R-ATP. Once I turned 23, the FAA gave me an unrestricted ATP.

And then did you feel like a grown up.??

(just givin' ya' a hard time..:lol: )

It was like graduating from permit license to drivers license:D
You are not getting any sympathy out of me, it looks to me that your on path to be the longest running 777 captain in history. Glad to see you finally got back in training and got typed. Congrats.

What a bunch of nonsense. As if the difference of 250/500 hours or a degree will "qualify" anyone for an ATP. Hooey!

I'm glad I had My (hard earned the old fashioned way with 1500 hours and all the night and XC) ATP before I joined the military and long before any of these silly requirements.

I was not aware of the 750 hours for Military airplane drivers, though. When did that start?

What a bunch of nonsense. As if the difference of 250/500 hours or a degree will "qualify" anyone for an ATP. Hooey!

I'm glad I had My (hard earned the old fashioned way with 1500 hours and all the night and XC) ATP before I joined the military and long before any of these silly requirements.

The R-ATP only qualifies you to act as SIC, and before, a 121 SIC only needed a wet ink commercial pilot certificate with 250 hours. So instead of complaining that it's easier now maybe you should actually know what you're talking about first?

Quite the contrary. My point is that it is more difficult now because of all the confusing combinations of 141 school/Associates/Bachelor's Degrees/flight hours and XC hours.

Back then an ATP was 1500 hours and all the XC and night experience plus you had to pass a First Class Medical and that's all...

I was not referring to what it took to qualify for a flying job.

The R-ATP only qualifies you to act as SIC, and before, a 121 SIC only needed a wet ink commercial pilot certificate with 250 hours. So instead of complaining that it's easier now maybe you should actually know what you're talking about first?

While that is true, the hiring climate has swung back and forth many times over the years from getting a 121 gig at 250 hours and not being able to sniff a job with less than 3000. Timing is everything.

You are not getting any sympathy out of me, it looks to me that your on path to be the longest running 777 captain in history. Glad to see you finally got back in training and got typed. Congrats.
I’m just ready to be the gear monkey again! It’s kind of nice not being in charge.

Thanks all. My question has been answered! :)

Back