R-ATP hour reduction question

emmetthr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
emmetthr
Good morning all,

I'm currently a freshman at a 4-year university, with a flight program (Auburn), currently working on IFR. The program exists as a B.S. in Business Admin with flight ratings through Commercial and a 250 hour reduction toward ATP. This past month, a new option opened up to switch to a more ERAU-style major, offering more aviation oriented classes and a 500 hour reduction. My question to you all is whether or not the additional 250 hours off ATP is worth losing a business degree. From what I've gathered so far, it is not, as, obviously, the more hours the more experience, and more competitive I'll be, along with better career options if I lose my medical somewhere down the line. Thoughts?

If your goal is the airlines, your degree major doesn't really matter. As for having a degree to fall back on, a business degree would probably be more marketable. You have to decide.

If you lose your medical, will you be more marketable with an aviation science degree or a business degree?

Double major?
This. And ideally in something other than business. Something technical.. engineering, software, etc.

500 hours seems like a lot to this non professional pilot. What's in ~15-20 hours of additional sitting-in-class-room that corresponds to that many flight hours?

500 hours seems like a lot to this non professional pilot. What's in ~15-20 hours of additional sitting-in-class-room that corresponds to that many flight hours?

LOL, nothing. Congress just gave built in discounts to large schools' students.

This. And ideally in something other than business. Something technical.. engineering, software, etc.

The difference is "only" an additional 250...less than 6 months at most flying jobs.

Thanks for the input. The business/new aviation degree is a requirement to be part of the program, but a double major or additional certification is always a possibility.

that's a third on the double major.

if you want to get on at a 121 carrier then your seniority number is everything. 250 less hours = 6 months to 1 year sooner you can get hired.

if you want to get on at a 121 carrier then your back up career could become a very important thing to have.....

Good morning all,

I'm currently a freshman at a 4-year university, with a flight program (Auburn), currently working on IFR. The program exists as a B.S. in Business Admin with flight ratings through Commercial and a 250 hour reduction toward ATP. This past month, a new option opened up to switch to a more ERAU-style major, offering more aviation oriented classes and a 500 hour reduction. My question to you all is whether or not the additional 250 hours off ATP is worth losing a business degree. From what I've gathered so far, it is not, as, obviously, the more hours the more experience, and more competitive I'll be, along with better career options if I lose my medical somewhere down the line. Thoughts?

Hmmm . . . . Lose the hours, get the degree. I'm based 23 nm from AUO, am a proud alumnus and need a safety pilot. Not 250 hours worth but certainly some . . . Complex time . . .

I teach at a 141 school now...Can you minor in business? Does the school offer Dispatch training? I only mention it because of the possibility of losing your medical someday. If your goal is to get to the airlines, think about how you will obtain the 500 hours if you don't get the reduction. Flight instructing? How many hours per month can you realistically expect to log as a CFI wherever you wind up instructing? If you're not being paid to fly, can you afford to log those 500 hours on your own? Tough decisions, I know, but you have to decide on your priorities. Gotta agree with jaybee, at the majors, seniority is everything.

In a 25 year career in the majors, I flew with music majors, dentists, lawyers, and aviation majors as my copilot.

Back