Quirks

Ronnie Godfrey

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ronnie Godfrey
Our airplane has some quirks that I think are tied to the GNS430. One is that the Garmin CDI deflects hard right and won't budge, although the flag will change. The behavior is intermittent. Also, some of the buttons are inop on the box.

My partner and I have finally decided it's about time to send in the box and take the $900 hit, but I'd like to ask the hive-mind if it thinks the CDI issue will be fixed along with the box. Also, what is the turnaround time typically like? Do most avionics shops provide a "loaner" box while yours is out?

If you're sending it in, get the WAAS upgrade while you're at it.

You'll be glad you did.

As for a loaner box, it really depends on the size of the shop.

If I understand correctly the WAAS is about $4000 and we are reluctant to sink that cash into this current airplane. Still isn’t totally off the table, though.

Can’t the shop do some troubleshooting to determine if the problem is in the GNS or the CDI? Maybe you’ve already done that, but I wouldn’t want to go shipping anything off to Garmin without knowing which device is actually malfunctioning.

Can’t the shop do some troubleshooting to determine if the problem is in the GNS or the CDI? Maybe you’ve already done that, but I wouldn’t want to go shipping anything off to Garmin without knowing which device is actually malfunctioning.
Haven’t taken it in yet. I know for a fact the buttons along the bottom of the unit are all inop so it’s gotta go regardless. Just hoping we will get a “bonus”with the cdi being fixed.

Haven’t taken it in yet. I know for a fact the buttons along the bottom of the unit are all inop so it’s gotta go regardless. Just hoping we will get a “bonus”with the cdi being fixed.

Ahhh interesting. Okay. Good luck with it.

Our airplane has some quirks that I think are tied to the GNS430. One is that the Garmin CDI deflects hard right and won't budge, although the flag will change. The behavior is intermittent. Also, some of the buttons are inop on the box.

My partner and I have finally decided it's about time to send in the box and take the $900 hit, but I'd like to ask the hive-mind if it thinks the CDI issue will be fixed along with the box. Also, what is the turnaround time typically like? Do most avionics shops provide a "loaner" box while yours is out?

Let us know what happens.

Last edited:
If your doing the Garmin,you should have the CDI Checked also.

Called the shop today. Said the turnaround is two weeks tops and that the CDI issue is caused by some thingamajig that went bad in the box. I’m dropping it off on Monday and am prepared for the corn-holing. I’m looking forward to using the FPL function, Procedures, and clearing messages when they appear! A working CDI will be nice too lol.

Well we dropped it off today. $1100 and turnaround is about two weeks. I’m excited about having a fully functional unit!

I see where you're addressing the problem already, but with relation to the GNS430 itself; If it's not WAAS already, it was my understanding that if it had to go back to Garmin that it would be required to be upgraded before they would work on the radio anyhow...did I misunderstand that?

I see where you're addressing the problem already, but with relation to the GNS430 itself; If it's not WAAS already, it was my understanding that if it had to go back to Garmin that it would be required to be upgraded before they would work on the radio anyhow...did I misunderstand that?
They won't work on the 28V only. They will, however, work on the 14/28V units.

Get the WAAS upgrade. ANYTHING broken with your current 430 is fixed to factory like new standards. I upgraded my 430 to WAAS and was though it was a great no-lose deal. The current price for used 430W's are almost exactly the cost of the standard 430 plus this upgrade cost. Silly not to do it.

Also the 430W comes back with latest software and hardware upgrades and latest refreshed Nav, obstacle, and Terrain data card. My original G430 did not have the terrain feature or able to integrate with ADS-B, but does now.

Does upgrading to WAAS require changes to the installation? Different antenna or cabling?

ABF04373-3B8E-41E0-9204-8F80772D61C3.jpeg Got the box back today. Everything is fully functional and it looks great! Very happy to have all my buttons working to to be able to finally clear messages!

Back