Quick STALL RECOVERY technique that could be a LIFE SAVER

motoadve

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
motoadve
WARNING , NON INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO!
Learned this technique while training at BUSH AIR in Nevada, stall recovery with minimum altitude loss, most stalls happen in the pattern, if you are going to loose 1,000ft to recover its too late, with this technique you loose between 30 to 150 ft, so either learn this technique or fly how the FAA wants you to do to recover as soon as the stall warning goes off, but the old technique to recover loosing 1,000ft is dangerous and might not be enough to save you.

Last edited:
Who wants to be the first to post why the faa doesn’t teach you to do it this way. In fact, they intentionally teach you *not* to do it this way.

Ps even as a student it never took me 1000 feet to recover from a stall.

Probably because of a second stall will get you into a spin and teaching this technique to students can be risky.
I learned this at an advanced pilot training course at Bush AIr, from CC who has won many awards from FAA as an outstanding instructor.
I am not an instructor or invented this technique, but if you are and advanced pilot who knows your plane is not bad to learn this.

Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Diving and losing 1,000+ feet is not what the FAA teaches. I've really only seen it that way once, sadly when I was giving a flight review to another CFI. Negative Gs, major loss of altitute. I asked hom, "are your students afraid of stalls?" Yes, all of them." "I think I know why."

I'm not sure what you are doing that's different from a real FAA stall recovery, except the unnecessary secondary pull back to the attitude that induced the stall in the first place. A simple push to a level pitch attitude combined with full power, followed by return to a normal climb attitude is all that's needed in most aircraft. The only thing I do which looks anything like that is a falling leaf. But that's with no power and is mostly to demonstrate how coordination is king and how little nose down/AoA increase is needed to recover.

Nice clickbait title, but it lacks the phrase “LIFE HACK”.

It is my understanding that the FAA suggests lowering the AOA, adding power, minimal altitude loss, then climb back up. Your one-easy-life-hack looks just like that. I don’t see anything revolutionary.

I do know that losing 1000’ on stall recovery would not pass any of the checkrides I have done. PPL through CFI to ATP Multi.

Stall avoidance is key, and I would rather see a private pilot making corrections at the stall horn before things get out of hand. If you are riding that stall horn on a long final, you don’t leave much room for error in turbulent air, wind shear, etc. If you have to do that to make a challenging landing spot, and understand the risks to do it, then by all means knock yourself out.

Nicely made video!

Another nobody who thinks they're smarter than everyone else. This person's technique could kill someone or just kill the engine. Love the part where he rams the throttle from idle to full in four frames (that's 0.13 seconds).

Your commentary doesn’t match the slides that you got from Boldmethod. You mention losing 1,160 ft from a stall but that’s incorrect. The diagram shows 1,160 ft recovery from a spin. No one is going to take over 1,000 ft to recover from a stall using any FAA method. In fact, right before that slide, Boldmethod states that the average altitude recovery from a stall for a typical GA aircraft is 100-350 ft.

I wouldn’t be too hard on this guy. I think the way he recovers is pretty good, but he is obviously an advanced stick and rudder guy, so his technique is not going to mesh well with primary training. I think once you understand stalls you realize that you don’t even need power to recover. Just decrease AoA and the plane starts flying again. Power just helps speed the process a little, but has its own issues if you are sloppy on coordination at high AoA. Stalls probably really clicked for me in my primary commercial training. When I would recover at the first hint of a stall, I would jump on the controls like a panicked pilot. Must fix now with some strange urgency. :). I passed my check ride, but he made me do at least 50 stalls on my check ride from every configuration bank angle and power setting, until I was numb to stalls. Best stall training I ever had. My overall gestalt is that in a lot of primary training, stalls are not properly trained. Now where we teach to come out of a stall before you’re actually in an aerodynamic stall, pilots have no real skills to get them out of a full stall.

Love the part where he rams the throttle from idle to full in four frames (that's 0.13 seconds).
With some airplanes you can get a stopped prop doing that. The sudden airflow, even with the injection from the accelerator pump, will lean the mix enough to stop combustion.

Another nobody who thinks they're smarter than everyone else. This person's technique could kill someone or just kill the engine. Love the part where he rams the throttle from idle to full in four frames (that's 0.13 seconds).

If you like excitement, do that in a high horsepower airplane. Enjoy the new view that used to be in your side window. Cramming the throttle is not ever a good idea.

I think I'll take a pass with that instructor...too cowboy for me.

Back