Quick question for rotor guys (or anyone)

Kritchlow

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kritchlow
A while back I was in.... Can't remember the airport.. It's the one in Alabama near the race track.
Anyway, I saw the strangest helicopter I have ever seen. It had two main rotors side by side. Each were slightly canted outward, and when rotating the blades meshed liked gears. It was truly a sight to see.

Does anyone have the name and a pic of that helicopter??

A while back I was in.... Can't remember the airport.. It's the one in Alabama near the race track.
Anyway, I saw the strangest helicopter I have ever seen. It had two main rotors side by side. Each were slightly canted outward, and when rotating the blades meshed liked gears. It was truly a sight to see.

HH-43 Husky perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaman_HH-43_Huskie

John

Any chance it was an Osprey?

Any chance it was an Osprey?

Negative... It looked almost like something out of science fiction. The rotor masts came out of the top almost like slanted antennas on a Martian. You would swear the blades would hit, as most of the blade span overlapped. It just meshed like gears.

If I had to guess I would say it could be Soviet??

Kaman. Heavylift working helicopter.

th

Pretty sure that's it... Would like a front view to see rotor masts better.

The pilot controls blade pitch with tubes running inside the mast and rotor blades to move servo flaps that pitch the blades,[9] reducing required force and avoiding the added weight, cost and maintenance of hydraulic controls.[6]

The production line was shut down in 2003, but may restart if the U.S. Marine Corps orders more autonomous K-MAXs.[12]

An unmanned mostly autonomously flying, optionally remote controlled and optionally piloted vehicle (OPV) version, the K-MAX Unmanned Multi-Mission Helicopter, was developed for hazardous missions. It can be used in combat to deliver supplies to the battlefield, as well as civilian situations involving chemical, biological, or radiological hazards. A prototype of this was shown in 2008 for potential military heavy-lift resupply use,[17] and again in 2010.[18]

K-Max, used for logging.

Thanks everybody... That's it. The craziest looking thing I've ever seen with the rotors spinning.

Back