Quick Question about ATIS for a major international airport

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
At PHL I noticed that the ATIS is announced using a computer-generated voice. Is this true for all major international airports in the U.S.? Or is it for some certain airports or only just for PHL?

Yup, I believe they all do this now. The Class C by me is still small enough to use human voices.

Better yet, most of them have a digital ATIS where all we need to do is send for it on the computer and it comes back in text form.

When I got on with the airline they still used a human. Well just so happened that I knew the guy making the ATIS and issuing clearances as I had actually met him back in our Air Force days, as he was retired Air Force ATC like me. My FOs would get our clearance, which he issued in bored voice. After read back, I'd have the FO say to him, "thanks a lot Herb", and man, he would do a 180 and be so cheerful, telling us to enjoy (wherever). He never knew I was behind it.

Last edited:
So, if the ATIS is that "computerized" voice, that means the ATIS is available digitally?

Is there any way for us GA piston guys to obtain this "digital ATIS"?

Most of the large Class B airports have the digital voice. I've noticed that if they have D-ATIS, the kind we can get back via text over ACARS, most of the time that ATIS is broadcast via a digital voice. It's not all, but most.

I wish there was a way I could get the atis and clearance back in text digitally on my screen in my plane, like i can at work, now that would be nice!

Most of the large Class B airports have the digital voice. I've noticed that if they have D-ATIS, the kind we can get back via text over ACARS, most of the time that ATIS is broadcast via a digital voice. It's not all, but most.

I wish there was a way I could get the atis and clearance back in text digitally on my screen in my plane, like i can at work, now that would be nice!

I'm thinking it would be pretty damn easy for the FAA to implement. ADS-B in for the digital ATIS and some kind of web-based solution to get the clearance.

well you can get digital METARs already per ADSB just not the airport ATIS. the clearance are also pushed from the airports clearance or whatever ATC it is there via PDC for you to retrieve. You arent receiving your clearance from a main FAA/ATC database but rather the clearance literally putting your clearance in there and making it available that way.

I could be wrong though but that had been my understanding of it. Because sometimes we send for PDC clearance, we don't get it, then we call the clearance frequency and they say sorry they didn't put it in yet and to check again

I'm thinking that being able to avoid trying to listen to 2 frequencies at once in a busy terminal area while flying single pilot would be handy, that's all. The METAR is missing things like runway in use, etc.

I'm thinking that being able to avoid trying to listen to 2 frequencies at once in a busy terminal area while flying single pilot would be handy, that's all. The METAR is missing things like runway in use, etc.
No doubt it would be nice to have it delivered visually, but like any other form of communication, listening to the ATIS while continuing to monitor the frequency is a learned skill. One habit I picked up along the way is to listen to it as early as possible, before things get busy.

If Im not mistaken, the AIM states the weather information at your destination airport should be able to be received at least 60nm out, depending on altitude.

I know that around 60 out, im definitely trying to get the weather so i can plan my descent and approach.

If Im not mistaken, the AIM states the weather information at your destination airport should be able to be received at least 60nm out, depending on altitude.

I know that around 60 out, im definitely trying to get the weather so i can plan my descent and approach.
Altitude is everything. I can often pick up an ATIS around 100 nm out in a Citation at FL400. In the Baron above 10k, I could pick them up around 70-80nm.

In the Waco at 1500' AGL, I'm lucky if I can get an ATIS/AWOS at 10nm.

To the OP: I guess it depends upon if the local airfield wants to spend the money for an automated ATIS. We're on out second one here at Davis Monthan AFB but Tucson (which is enjoying a brand new tower) still records it on voice. Automated is definitely easier as it only requires a few computer key punches. Voice can be a PITA to record because there is always some waterhead that thinks its funny to fart while you're trying to record the ATIS.

To the OP: I guess it depends upon if the local airfield wants to spend the money for an automated ATIS. We're on out second one here at Davis Monthan AFB but Tucson (which is enjoying a brand new tower) still records it on voice. Automated is definitely easier as it only requires a few computer key punches. Voice can be a PITA to record because there is always some waterhead that thinks its funny to fart while you're trying to record the ATIS.
More information than we needed.

But it does explain why I sometimes hear, "Advise on initial contact you have information ***BLAAAAT***."

Out west, terrain around the airport often greatly reduces that distance!

Uhh.... that IS funny.

I heard big boys bring in guest announcers....

1c5jqn.jpg

Back