Quick question about airplane part

Toby

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Toby Speed
What do you call the vertical metal strip that divides the front window in half on a Decathlon? Does anyone know if that part has a name?

Thanks!

What do you call the vertical metal strip that divides the front window in half on a Decathlon? Does anyone know if that part has a name?

Thanks!
Brace or Center Brace? If I recall, it's only there for strength.

I call it the ...

...HOLY COOL COWS, IT'S TOBY!!!!!!

---

Sorry, Tobes, I don't know the answer to your question, but I sure am glad to see your e-face here. You know we all miss you...

...don't be a stranger, stranger.

---

Oh, by the way, remember the Hot Australian Boy, the one you got mad at me after I posted his picture before the second Gaston's, because you thought he was me (and I was the disappointing booby-prize)?

He starts law school at NYU in September...

Attachments

• DSCN3066.JPG
    DSCN3066.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN3093.JPG
    DSCN3093.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 32
Hey Spike, how are you? Ah, yes, I do remember the HAB photo fiasco. Weren't you using him in your avatar?? NYU, good for him.

I call it the ...

...HOLY COOL COWS, IT'S TOBY!!!!!!

---

Sorry, Tobes, I don't know the answer to your question, but I sure am glad to see your e-face here. You know we all miss you...

...don't be a stranger, stranger.

---

Oh, by the way, remember the Hot Australian Boy, the one you got mad at me after I posted his picture before the second Gaston's, because you thought he was me (and I was the disappointing booby-prize)?

He starts law school at NYU in September...

Toby: Don't be a stranger around here. I miss your posts and stories!

How is the new book coming??

Hi Scott,

I've made a lot of progress on it. That's actually why I stopped in here -- to get a word I needed for the book. Thanks for asking. I miss telling and listening to airplane stories, too!

Hey Toby!

Rumors are there is a conspiracy afoot to get you to Gaston's next year. Beware of geeks bearing gifts...

That metal piece in the middle of the windshield is an augmented polarity disrupter. It must be kept within 13° of vertical all times or risk complete disorientation of the aircraft occupants.

I'm serious.

Thanks!

Hi Toby!

If you mean the windshield brace everyone I know calls it a VNE Bar.
Basically it's a bracing member to keep the windscreen from caving in...

Chris:goofy:

Hey Toby!

Rumors are there is a conspiracy afoot to get you to Gaston's next year. Beware of geeks bearing gifts...

That metal piece in the middle of the windshield is an augmented polarity disrupter. It must be kept within 13° of vertical all times or risk complete disorientation of the aircraft occupants.

I'm serious.

See, Toblerone, if you do not appear for the fun, you will miss the fun.

Come fly with us!

Good news is, with Chris moving to NYC, I am bound to get up there one of these days, anyway, and when I do, I fully expect to take you out for chocolate.

So ther!

Whoo Hooo! Hi Toby! Glad you are back, nice to hear from you again.

Gary

Oh, gosh, I've missed you guys.

I went to the greatest little airport the other day. I drove there, as I'm not flying these days, but it would be a terrific place to fly into. It's 2B3, Parlin Airport in Newport, NH. There's a hangar with old and interesting taildraggers, and a friendly group of pilots hanging around, and a truly outstanding Mexican restaurant called the L'il Red Barron right on the field. Not your typical burritos. My boyfriend and I were out for a drive and I said, let's stop there on our way to Sunapee. Have any of you been there?

This scene I just wrote (actually the prologue to the book) with the window brace -- I was thinking today that it's a good thing I became a pilot, because I'd never be able to make the flying scenes believable otherwise. It's actually kind of a challenge to write them in terms a lay audience will understand, and also to write from the point of view of a narrator who's a nonpilot and has the usual fears and misconceptions.

Whoo Hooo! Hi Toby! Glad you are back, nice to hear from you again.

Gary

Hi Gary! You've moved. (This probably happened ages ago, that's what I get for not being around.)

augmented polarity disrupter... I'm serious.

Steve, lol.

BTW, where did you (and others on this forum) get the little U.S.A. map that lets you fill in the states you have landed in?

Steve, lol.

BTW, where did you (and others on this forum) get the little U.S.A. map that lets you fill in the states you have landed in?

Hey Toby. While I've enjoyed reading your stories, I don't believe we've ever met. I'm Kevin (hence the screen name :D) from middle Tennessee.

Here's the site to get your very own map.

Hi Scott,

I've made a lot of progress on it. That's actually why I stopped in here -- to get a word I needed for the book. Thanks for asking. I miss telling and listening to airplane stories, too!

Good to see you back here again Toby. BTW the only thing I've ever called the part you described is a "visual obstruction."

I went to the greatest little airport the other day. I drove there, as I'm not flying these days, but it would be a terrific place to fly into. It's 2B3, Parlin Airport in Newport, NH. There's a hangar with old and interesting taildraggers, and a friendly group of pilots hanging around, and a truly outstanding Mexican restaurant called the L'il Red Barron right on the field. Not your typical burritos. My boyfriend and I were out for a drive and I said, let's stop there on our way to Sunapee. Have any of you been there?

2B3? No. Sunapee? Yes, in 1969. Skied in the rain.

Welcome back to the board. We've missed you.

...SNIP...
Hey Toby... Been wondering where you've been. I've stopped at Parlin after flying over Lake Sunapee taking pix of the THREE lighthouses there. We didn't spend any time looking around as it was a very sleepy day midweek. It might be nice to drop in on a weekend day.
Don't be a stranger.

Hi Toby! Missed you at the Wings fly in. Was really hoping you'd be there.

Hi Toby! Everyone seems to have settled on "brace" and maybe that is the real name. My first thought was that it is, or is part of, the window frame. But that sounds too much like house and home nomenclature. Houses don't fly... 'cepting Auntie Em's! :D

Welcome back!

-Skip

Back