Quick jettison Cessna doors

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
The Aerobat has doors that can be jettisoned by pulling a pin that disengages the hinges.

Could this idea be fitted to a C182? Anyone ever heard of this?

In a ditching would you rather have the doors ajar but present, or jettisoned entirely?

I’d rather have them jettisonable. A lot of helos use jettisonable doors or windows that pull in. Should be standard in aviation in my opinion.

Only issue would be a passenger inadvertent jettison. Friend of mine was doing a air show static with a Black Hawk. Some teenager was up front asking about the yellow handle. He politely told him what it was and not to touch it. Turned his back for a few seconds and he hears “Kaa klunk!” Door lying on the tarmac. :mad:

Last edited:
I like egress options on both sides of the plane. I have no desire to jettison a door. Open a Cessna door ahead of trouble and extend the latch so it cant close all the way. Standard training. My Cub has huge swing-up windows on both sides. Even a big person can get through either one.

I jettison doors all the time... well, I guess I remove them on the ground, but jettison sounds better!

In a ditching would you rather have the doors ajar but present, or jettisoned entirely?
I think I would prefer to just have them ajar for an emergency landing. I think they could protect you from debris.

I was in a bad crash in my Luscombe and we just unlatched the doors before impact. They probably would have popped open anyway, but I can imagine all of that cactus getting thrown in with me!

7770259280_a8dfcf0a4c_b.jpg

Why would you do it at cruise speed? Not hard to do but not necessary.
If one had a 'chute and wanted to bail out - which is the reason that the 150 aerobat had the quick release. But, that is somewhat off topic. I guess I tend to wander.

but I can imagine all of that cactus getting thrown in with me!

Riding shotgun in a company car, windows down, elbow on the window sill (it was a nice day). Someone turns in front of us, driver swerves off the road(way to fast to stop). As we hit the curb, 3 or 4 tires blow, now the car is pretty much ballistic. I see the chain link fence coming and decide I don't want my arm out the window. In fact, I don't want to be anywhere near that open window and flop down to the left onto the bench seat, close my eyes, and cover my head. It gets real noisy for a while, then quiet.
I hear the driver in the absolutely shakiest voice I have ever heard... "Geoff? ...Are... are... are you all...alright?
I sit up 'Yea, why?" Then I realize that I (and the B pillar) are covered in glop - grey and red stuff from some kind of berry from the bush on the other side of the fence.
He thought it was my brains and blood and I was dead.

So, yea, wouldn't have wanted that to be cactus - or the ocean (to get back to topic). :)

Don't paint the handle red and let a certain former girlfriend of mine ride in your plane with her bigass purse. She'll hang it from any red handle she sees!

Shaved off a few years of my life that day.

I remember being in a friend's hangar when his kid pulled the release on his beautiful twin Beech's door. To the concrete floor it went. Ouch!

Back