Questions for the CFI's

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
From the Teaching side...
  • which lesson(s) is the most challenging for you to teach? ... or learn to teach?
  • What do you (or did you) do the overcome the challenge?

From the Student side...
  • which lesson(s) are the most challenging for them to grokk?
  • What do you do to overcome their challenge?

From the teaching side probably landings. I break it down into two parts. First we learn rectangular patterns and how wind affects drift, how to crab, etc. Next we do the landings. We don’t go right into them though. We’ll hover over the runway and hold it off so they can get the sight picture down.

From the Teaching side...
  • which lesson(s) is the most challenging for you to teach? ... or learn to teach?
  • What do you (or did you) do the overcome the challenge?

From the Student side...
  • which lesson(s) are the most challenging for them to grokk?
  • What do you do to overcome their challenge?

As a student, besides the usual hard stuff like the flare, the trickiest thing for me has been trimming. If I'm honest I still haven't really figured this out yet. I've had 3 instructors and they all say the same thing: "trim away the pressure". But it takes me forever to get it anywhere close to stabilized. The worst is during landing because things are constantly changing. From the time I pull the power out to the time I cross the threshold, I'm lucky if I get the trim set correctly at all. I suspect that there's something that they do that they're not telling me, like trimming before they feel the pressure because they know what's coming.

Another thing is staying coordinated. I'm always being told "look at the ball - keep the ball in the centre!". But it's never in the centre for long no matter how careful I am. It moves around by itself even when I do nothing! Sometimes it moves faster than I can move the pedals.

As a student, besides the usual hard stuff like the flare, the trickiest thing for me has been trimming. If I'm honest I still haven't really figured this out yet. I've had 3 instructors and they all say the same thing: "trim away the pressure". But it takes me forever to get it anywhere close to stabilized. The worst is during landing because things are constantly changing. From the time I pull the power out to the time I cross the threshold, I'm lucky if I get the trim set correctly at all. I suspect that there's something that they do that they're not telling me, like trimming before they feel the pressure because they know what's coming.

Another thing is staying coordinated. I'm always being told "look at the ball - keep the ball in the centre!". But it's never in the centre for long no matter how careful I am. It moves around by itself even when I do nothing! Sometimes it moves faster than I can move the pedals.

I see a couple of things that may help you maybe.

Trim will constantly change if airspeed is changing. Are you allowing pitch to change on final approach? Pitch for airspeed, power for altitude if you started with a stable constant airspeed descent. At least one CFI I know doesn’t teach students to trim during landings. He has them trim for a constant airspeed descent and any reduction of power will increase sink rate until the final reduction a few feet off the ground where they’ll need a reasonable pull on the elevator to keep things looking right.

If you go out to the practice area and have your instructor trim the airplane for level flight and slow cruise (say whatever your normal downwind speed is) and then just reduce power a few hundred RPM, the airplane will just descend at a constant airspeed without ANY input from you at all. The nose will fall a little bit and it’ll settle into it.

This is important to know because otherwise you’re likely pushing and pulling and upsetting it’s natural tendency toward static dynamic stability that most all trainer aircraft will exhibit. Set power lower and let go and it’ll fly a constant airspeed descent. If you’re pumping the flight controls you’re just destabilizing it. It’ll fly just fine without you. :) Same with leveling off. Put the power back where you started. It’ll level off on its own. Now add a little more power. Constant airspeed climb. Stable! See how that works?

Now extend that thought to the airport instead of the practice area. Pretend you’re doing a 5 mile straight in instead of a pattern. If you were trimmed five miles away, there’s a point in space where you can just pull a little power off and the airplane will fly allllllll the way to the runway all by itself without you doing a darn thing in a no-wind day. Completely stable, beautiful, 500 ft/min descent all the way to the ground. You’d be fast at the bottom but apply power and you’d do a perfect go around. The airplane wants to fly fine all by itself. You can let it as much as possible. Or reduce power and add back pressure to keep the nose off and it’ll land.

Okay that’s probably enough to chew on for the approach and landing for the moment. Think about that a bit and smooth out your control inputs. Let the airplane fly, relax your grip on the controls, and finesse it with trim to the pitch attitude you want.

As far as coordination goes, go out to the practice area again and start over a little. Ask to do some rudder ONLY turns. Yeah they’re uncoordinated. So what? Press on a pedal and hold it. What happens? Airplane banks and rolls that way and turns. It’s a crappy turn but with trainer airplane dihedral it’ll do just fine. Now you have FELT how much rudder it takes kinda. Let go. What happens? Dihedral raises the wing and you’re back to straight and level or nearly so. Again, the airplane wants to behave and fly just fine without you.

NOW, you can apply your knowledge of ailerons. When you apply aileron ALONE watch forward and pick a point on the horizon. Which way does it go initially when you add left aileron? The nose goes RIGHT, doesn’t it? Hmmmm. How can we stop that? We just saw it. LEFT rudder!

We have to (almost) lead with our foot. And how hard do we push? Well we get used to exactly how hard but you saw what forcing the airplane to turn with only rudder took, so say maybe half of that pressure and see how it works out? Try it.

Finally we put it together. ANY time the ailerons moving, your feet need to (almost) lead. If it’s gusty and you need left aileron then right aileron then left aileron your feet need to be leading on the dance floor! Make sense?

The airplane will fly fine without you if you leave the controls alone. Trim and stability in the design make this happen. Less chasing on the controls and more “guiding” the flight path. The airplane will go where you want it but it’s headed somewhere without you anyway if you release the controls. Figure out where THAT is and adjust trim and just use the controls to put it where you want it. Gently but firmly. Like leading a dog who wants to stop and sniff a bush instead of walking with you. But this dog wants to go straight and you might want it to go a little left. Or right. Or up. Or down. Be an airplane whisperer. :)

Pitch changes airspeed on landings. Power changes descent rate. Yes there’s an interaction but moving both rapidly will just lead to the airplane not flying itself down a nice boring constant speed descent you trimmed it for way back at the downwind. If your downwind to base to final is going to slow down some at each corner you’ll just add a couple more small rolls of up trim at each to hold the nose up as the elevator loses authority and the airspeed slows. Nothing drastic needed. Trim for a new constant airspeed descent. Just like the one in the practice area. Easy! (Flaps have some consequences here too, they add drag so let them do their thing before getting too concerned with the trim. Just use the yoke to keep your descent coming down and let it settle for a second.)

Coordination is just leading a little with just enough rudder and then as you develop a feel for it, feeling your body being pushed to the outside or inside of a turn.

One caution here, don’t get wild with the “leading” thing and over push the inside rudder when low and slow. That’s a setup for a spin. Push enough, but don’t get wild about it.

Remember the ailerons and how far the nose moved the wrong way? You’re just stopping THAT movement. That’s it. Once the ailerons are back to neutral you don’t need to keep pushing with your foot usually. Not at low power settings anyway.

(You probably already know about pushing with your right foot at high power when all of those left turning tendencies you’ve learned about are working against you. That does require a push and is the mantra of CFIs everywhere. Right rudder. Right rudder. Right rudder. But not usually at low power in a descent if the airplane is rigged right and normal.) Thus why you do some descents in the practice area with just power reduction and see where it stabilizes. Know it’ll stabilize. Internalize that part.

Okay that was long. Some stuff for you to think about while you’re outside of the cockpit when you have all your brain cells and are not overloaded.

Picture the airplane as wanting to fly a path if you just let go. If it wants to fly too nose down, add a little up trim and wait for the airspeed to change. See where it settles in at. Same the other way. A little trim goes a long way UNTIL the airspeed is so low the control surfaces aren’t as effective. Then it’s either a lot of trim, or just use the controls to deal with it.

More elevator as you slow. More aileron if you’re slow and a gust bumps you. And no aileron ever without rudder too or the nose goes the wrong way.

Listen too. Hear the RPM changing. Hear the airflow getting quieter (slowing down too much?). Feel it. This comes after you trust it’s not going to stop flying if you don’t DO stuff constantly. It won’t. Relax.

Then you’ll start to see how they interact and predict certain things. That’s all your instructors are really doing. Predicting the known behavior the airplane will try to do if they leave it completely alone and remove their hands and feet from the controls.

The airplane wants to fly. Let it. Correct it. It’s not exactly like a car that needs to be kept out of the ditch with constant control inputs. On a calm day it’ll fly around fine without you doing anything. It’s stable. It has positive dynamic stability built in. Let it fly.

Hopefully that is helpful. Fly the airplane but don’t over-fly the airplane. It wants to fly. Let it do the majority of the work. Guide it.

It’ll click. Go give it a try. :) Relax. :) :) :)

The most difficult thing for this former student to grok was landing . . . I read about roundout, flare, looking at the end of the runway, touchdown. My CFI wasn't happy with my landings, but couldn't clearly articulate what was wrong, what I was doing wrong or what I needed to do differently. So I flew with another instructor, who said my landings were fine. Went uo with my first CFI, landings were still fine . . . .

And I think "grok" is the perfect word to describe it. Much more than knowledge or understanding. For the uninitiated, google Robert A. Heinlein and "The Man From Mars" in his novel Stranger in a Strange Land.

Trim will constantly change if airspeed is changing. Are you allowing pitch to change on final approach? Pitch for airspeed, power for altitude if you started with a stable constant airspeed descent. At least one CFI I know doesn’t teach students to trim during landings. He has them trim for a constant airspeed descent and any reduction of power will increase sink rate until the final reduction a few feet off the ground where they’ll need a reasonable pull on the elevator to keep things looking right.

If you go out to the practice area and have your instructor trim the airplane for level flight and slow cruise (say whatever your normal downwind speed is) and then just reduce power a few hundred RPM, the airplane will just descend at a constant airspeed without ANY input from you at all. The nose will fall a little bit and it’ll settle into it.

This is important to know because otherwise you’re likely pushing and pulling and upsetting it’s natural tendency toward static dynamic stability that most all trainer aircraft will exhibit. Set power lower and let go and it’ll fly a constant airspeed descent. If you’re pumping the flight controls you’re just destabilizing it. It’ll fly just fine without you. :) Same with leveling off. Put the power back where you started. It’ll level off on its own. Now add a little more power. Constant airspeed climb. Stable! See how that works?

Now extend that thought to the airport instead of the practice area. Pretend you’re doing a 5 mile straight in instead of a pattern. If you were trimmed five miles away, there’s a point in space where you can just pull a little power off and the airplane will fly allllllll the way to the runway all by itself without you doing a darn thing in a no-wind day. Completely stable, beautiful, 500 ft/min descent all the way to the ground. You’d be fast at the bottom but apply power and you’d do a perfect go around. The airplane wants to fly fine all by itself. You can let it as much as possible. Or reduce power and add back pressure to keep the nose off and it’ll land.

Okay that’s probably enough to chew on for the approach and landing for the moment. Think about that a bit and smooth out your control inputs. Let the airplane fly, relax your grip on the controls, and finesse it with trim to the pitch attitude you want.

As far as coordination goes, go out to the practice area again and start over a little. Ask to do some rudder ONLY turns. Yeah they’re uncoordinated. So what? Press on a pedal and hold it. What happens? Airplane banks and rolls that way and turns. It’s a crappy turn but with trainer airplane dihedral it’ll do just fine. Now you have FELT how much rudder it takes kinda. Let go. What happens? Dihedral raises the wing and you’re back to straight and level or nearly so. Again, the airplane wants to behave and fly just fine without you.

NOW, you can apply your knowledge of ailerons. When you apply aileron ALONE watch forward and pick a point on the horizon. Which way does it go initially when you add left aileron? The nose goes RIGHT, doesn’t it? Hmmmm. How can we stop that? We just saw it. LEFT rudder!

We have to (almost) lead with our foot. And how hard do we push? Well we get used to exactly how hard but you saw what forcing the airplane to turn with only rudder took, so say maybe half of that pressure and see how it works out? Try it.

Finally we put it together. ANY time the ailerons moving, your feet need to (almost) lead. If it’s gusty and you need left aileron then right aileron then left aileron your feet need to be leading on the dance floor! Make sense?

The airplane will fly fine without you if you leave the controls alone. Trim and stability in the design make this happen. Less chasing on the controls and more “guiding” the flight path. The airplane will go where you want it but it’s headed somewhere without you anyway if you release the controls. Figure out where THAT is and adjust trim and just use the controls to put it where you want it. Gently but firmly. Like leading a dog who wants to stop and sniff a bush instead of walking with you. But this dog wants to go straight and you might want it to go a little left. Or right. Or up. Or down. Be an airplane whisperer. :)

Pitch changes airspeed on landings. Power changes descent rate. Yes there’s an interaction but moving both rapidly will just lead to the airplane not flying itself down a nice boring constant speed descent you trimmed it for way back at the downwind. If your downwind to base to final is going to slow down some at each corner you’ll just add a couple more small rolls of up trim at each to hold the nose up as the elevator loses authority and the airspeed slows. Nothing drastic needed. Trim for a new constant airspeed descent. Just like the one in the practice area. Easy! (Flaps have some consequences here too, they add drag so let them do their thing before getting too concerned with the trim. Just use the yoke to keep your descent coming down and let it settle for a second.)

Coordination is just leading a little with just enough rudder and then as you develop a feel for it, feeling your body being pushed to the outside or inside of a turn.

One caution here, don’t get wild with the “leading” thing and over push the inside rudder when low and slow. That’s a setup for a spin. Push enough, but don’t get wild about it.

Remember the ailerons and how far the nose moved the wrong way? You’re just stopping THAT movement. That’s it. Once the ailerons are back to neutral you don’t need to keep pushing with your foot usually. Not at low power settings anyway.

...TRUNCATED TO FIT THE LIMIT

Hopefully that is helpful. Fly the airplane but don’t over-fly the airplane. It wants to fly. Let it do the majority of the work. Guide it.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write all that! It's a big help, and a lot for me to think about.

I have done the trim exercises you describe in the practice area, although it has been a while now. Back then with my first instructor, we used to fly downwind fairly fast (90+), and when I would pull the power back to 1600, we'd get a nice steady descent and it worked out quite well. I remember him explaining that the plane should be trimmed out correctly for the rest of the landing this way, and it was. The current instructor wants me to fly downwind quite a bit slower. Which is fine, but I've never been able to get it to come together as well as before. Flying downwind at 80, I have to pull the power back quite a bit (around 1750) and trim up a fair bit. When I get to the numbers and reduce power to 1600, it's not much of a reduction and I'm not seeing the same descending sight picture that I used to. My first reaction was to invoke to the 'power for altitude' rule and pull the power out further. But what I found then was that I always end up low on final, or even before. I came to the conclusion that you can only reduce the power so much due to being on the back side of the drag curve. I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but it seems that way. So if I need to keep the power around 1600 or so, it seemed like pushing the nose down and trimming was the only way. Maybe I'm just not being patient enough though.

One thing I would like to know is: on a typical landing in a 172, flying final at 65 with full flaps, would you expect to land with the trim up or down relative to the take off position? I've avoided asking that before because I know everyone will say "Don't worry about that, just set the speed with the yoke and trim the pressure away, whichever way it's needed". But I think it would help me to know, because it might shed some light on what I'm doing wrong before that point.

The stuff you wrote on coordination is great, and thanks again for that. I think I do have a tendency to forget the rudder when I'm making sudden unexpected corrections for gusts so what you've said sounds like a good thing for me to practice.

Every student is different.

I find radio communication especially with ATC more difficult to teach than I was expecting because sometimes I want to jump in and do it myself.

Lots of students have trouble understanding the region of reverse command. No matter how much I talk about it on the whiteboard, they have trouble applying the theory to practice.

(You probably already know about pushing with your right foot at high power when all of those left turning tendencies you’ve learned about are working against you. That does require a push and is the mantra of CFIs everywhere. Right rudder. Right rudder. Right rudder. But not usually at low power in a descent if the airplane is rigged right and normal.) Thus why you do some descents in the practice area with just power reduction and see where it stabilizes. Know it’ll stabilize. Internalize that part.

Okay that was long. Some stuff for you to think about while you’re outside of the cockpit when you have all your brain cells and are not overloaded.

Picture the airplane as wanting to fly a path if you just let go. If it wants to fly too nose down, add a little up trim and wait for the airspeed to change. See where it settles in at. Same the other way. A little trim goes a long way UNTIL the airspeed is so low the control surfaces aren’t as effective. Then it’s either a lot of trim, or just use the controls to deal with it.

More elevator as you slow. More aileron if you’re slow and a gust bumps you. And no aileron ever without rudder too or the nose goes the wrong way.

Listen too. Hear the RPM changing. Hear the airflow getting quieter (slowing down too much?). Feel it. This comes after you trust it’s not going to stop flying if you don’t DO stuff constantly. It won’t. Relax.

Then you’ll start to see how they interact and predict certain things. That’s all your instructors are really doing. Predicting the known behavior the airplane will try to do if they leave it completely alone and remove their hands and feet from the controls.

The airplane wants to fly. Let it. Correct it. It’s not exactly like a car that needs to be kept out of the ditch with constant control inputs. On a calm day it’ll fly around fine without you doing anything. It’s stable. It has positive dynamic stability built in. Let it fly.

Wish my instructor had put it this way while on ground. Still learning everyday and do a dumb thing or two every flight, but thanks for posting this, helps clarify a lot of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write all that! It's a big help, and a lot for me to think about.

I have done the trim exercises you describe in the practice area, although it has been a while now. Back then with my first instructor, we used to fly downwind fairly fast (90+), and when I would pull the power back to 1600, we'd get a nice steady descent and it worked out quite well. I remember him explaining that the plane should be trimmed out correctly for the rest of the landing this way, and it was. The current instructor wants me to fly downwind quite a bit slower. Which is fine, but I've never been able to get it to come together as well as before. Flying downwind at 80, I have to pull the power back quite a bit (around 1750) and trim up a fair bit. When I get to the numbers and reduce power to 1600, it's not much of a reduction and I'm not seeing the same descending sight picture that I used to. My first reaction was to invoke to the 'power for altitude' rule and pull the power out further. But what I found then was that I always end up low on final, or even before. I came to the conclusion that you can only reduce the power so much due to being on the back side of the drag curve. I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but it seems that way. So if I need to keep the power around 1600 or so, it seemed like pushing the nose down and trimming was the only way. Maybe I'm just not being patient enough though.

One thing I would like to know is: on a typical landing in a 172, flying final at 65 with full flaps, would you expect to land with the trim up or down relative to the take off position? I've avoided asking that before because I know everyone will say "Don't worry about that, just set the speed with the yoke and trim the pressure away, whichever way it's needed". But I think it would help me to know, because it might shed some light on what I'm doing wrong before that point.

The stuff you wrote on coordination is great, and thanks again for that. I think I do have a tendency to forget the rudder when I'm making sudden unexpected corrections for gusts so what you've said sounds like a good thing for me to practice.

I think you’re gonna find that takeoff trim is more level, while landing trim is more nose-up (pulling the trim wheel back towards you or “down”) in a 172.

Lots of students have trouble understanding the region of reverse command. No matter how much I talk about it on the whiteboard, they have trouble applying the theory to practice.

It's not just student pilots that I've seen struggle with this. I do a lot of advanced training and I'd bet that around 65% of the guys I've worked with haven't mastered the concept, even after several hundred hours of flying. I feel it is MUCH easier to teach someone how to do an instrument approach once they understand the basic pitch and power controls and how to use them to control their descent instead of sitting there watching the student struggle to maintain a glideslope while yanking and pushing on the yoke all the way down.

I'd have to agree, this is probably one of the harder things to explain and teach. Even with a ground lesson and an in flight demonstration the subconscious response to the desire to climb or descend seems to be to pull or push on the yoke.

No worries on the long post, I type fast. :)

I think a lot of this explanation stuff gets inadvertently avoided when instructors rush ground work. If the standard flight is show up, jump out of the car, and jump straight into the airplane, well, airplanes make for a lousy classroom. They’re noisy, the student is busy and overloaded/distracted, and it’s not a good place for an aerodynamics chat. :)

One positive compared to when I learned to fly is online forums like this one MIGHT fill in some gaps there, so we post and answer stuff. We can’t replace the instructor who SHOULD be doing more ground questioning to figure out which piece of the building blocks got missed or is being forgotten in the airplane when busy, but we can give your brain some stuff to mull over when you’re not trying to think and fly the plane at the same time. :)

Ground is often where the stuff you know from the books all of s sudden makes more sense when applied to “so what did we see on the last flight” which makes debriefs also important. Very important.

So anyway, your question. Where will the trim be?

I think it’s a reasonable question. And you framed it for a specific aircraft type, so you know this will change in other airplanes, eventually.

(Don’t worry about people who say a question is dumb or you think they will, just ask. They asked “dumb questions” once too.)

You’d probably be very nose up trimmed at that speed in a Skyhawk. Probably not full up but read on, you could be.

The slower you are the less air across the control surfaces the more deflection the surface needs to be moved to exert the same force it did at a faster speed. You get that part in your head already I’m sure. Apply it to the trim tab. Lots of trim for slow, less trim for fast. You’ll see this in cruise. It doesn’t take much of a trim tweak to make a big change in pitch at high airspeed. It takes a couple of half rolls of the wheel at low speed to do the same pitch change. Right?

One thing to be aware of when using a LOT of up trim on landing is that you always have to be ready for a go-around. When you push the throttle forward the air moving over the elevator and horizontal stabilizer is instantly greater because it’s coming from both the airplane accelerating AND the propellor.

The airplane is going to pitch up, and it can be a bit dramatic of a pitch up too. You have to be ready to hold the pitch angle you want with the elevator control and re-trim immediately because the trim will be, essentially, far too “deflected” for that new airflow it just got, and will force the nose up.

This is why that one CFI I mentioned, doesn’t teach students to trim much in the pattern. I don’t ascribe to that, instead I’d rather teach what’s going to happen when the power comes in quickly like that, and ask the student to put the cowl edge (or whatever their usual mark for a normal takeoff pitch angle is) on the horizon. Let the airplane pitch up to that angle but push to STOP the upward movement and now re-trim for that.

Some instructors might also MIX those methods. Maybe pre-solo and through solo, set a general pitch and speed with trim and fly it all with the yoke so the student learns the relationship between airspeed and control forces and effectiveness and bring in more demands for trimming it all after solo as the student develops a feel for it.

Anyway back to this glide path idea barely touched on above...

For most trainers, a “stabilized” (don’t get me started on that word... I’m just using it here because you’ve probably heard everyone harp on it) three degree glide path with full flaps is going to take some power. So there’s a trim that will hold that and the airplane will just fly down to the runway with that trim and power setting.

But let’s say you started closer to the runway and had not descended from pattern altitude at all? Throttle to IDLE and full flaps and again, there will be a trim setting that flies that steeper glidepath all the way to the runway.

In my very very slow 182 with a STOL kit on it, I can set up a steeper than standard glide path with flaps at 40 and very little power, if any, and full up trim.

The two trim settings likely won’t be the same because of a concept we were discussing earlier. Air flow from the prop over the tail.

(Ah-ha! Lightbulb!)

In the idle scenario and super steep glide path there will not be as much airflow over the tail pushing on that trim tab. In the power on scenario there will be more.

Okay, kinda. I’m exaggerating it a bit to make the point.

If the airplane is flying 65 knots in both cases the airflow over the tail will be nearly identical. But the concept here is, the trim wheel won’t always be in the exact same location. Nor would you want to think about it that way.

But...! You’re question about where would it generally be? Up. Quite a bit up. Because you’re slower than cruise, and they designed it (at least on this airplane) to be fairly effective across the entire normal operating airspeed range of the airplane.

It wouldn’t be nice of them to design it to not have enough throw to be able to help you out as the airplane slowed down. Make sense?

So now you ask, “so why is there a takeoff trim location marked on the thing if the trim is that variable?” Excellent question, grasshopper!

It’s because, what power setting do we almost always use for takeoff? FULL power. Whatever we’ve got! Full smash, full rental power, stoke up the boiler and let’s get this thing into the air and off the ground!

They knew that, so they could mark a reasonable place for it. Cool huh? Nice of them.

Thus, you “trim away pressures” because pressures are created by different airspeeds. That’s the connection in the knowledge chain. If the airplane slows, it’ll need more trim deflection just like if you just pull a little more on the yoke as you slow. Same the other way, if it speeds up, too much trim deflection for the faster speed and you’d have to roll it back out.

And that leads to the somewhat misleading but accurate for a constant speed descent, “trim for airspeed”. You’re really trimming for a particular pitch angle (and really an angle of attack, but we’ll ignore diving into that for the moment) that results in an airspeed. But it’s accurate enough as a reminder on final. Trim the nose to where when no power changes or flap changes are happening, your approach airspeed is whatever you’re shooting for. Essentially the trim is “holding the yoke for you” so you don’t have to work muscles as hard.

Now introduce those “power for altitude” concepts. You’re a little high. You reduce the throttle. The airplane should just pitch down a little on its own and fly your “trimmed speed” and descend. It might need a trim tweak, but just a tweak, however because less airflow over the tail from the prop. Maybe the nose dropped a little too much and it’s accelerating.

That ending paragraph is where your “feel” for this particular airplane comes in. You’ll just know after a while that a single engine prop plane nose will drop a little more with a power reduction and it’ll try to speed up a little. Just a little. Very subtle when you start to notice these things.

So there ya go. More thoughts on trim that you ever wanted! Summary version is “trim away pressures” and that’s why you’re confused. If you talk about where the pressures are coming from you backtrack into what you already know about airspeed and control surfaces and how effective they are at different speeds. Cool, huh? All that silly “booklearnin’” actually does apply. Just nobody mentioned how!

Remember trim is a helper. Positive aircraft control is always done with the main flight controls. If the nose needs to come up or go down RIGHT NOW, do it. Trim should be kept close enough that it can wait. And that trim up can fight you pretty good on a full power go-around. Don’t forget that one. It’s a low altitude pitch up rapidly to a stall accident that can sneak up on you.

One student I know is VERY small. She’s short, not incredibly muscular, and she’s modified her go-around procedure in high horsepower airplanes to bring about 70% of go-around power in, then quickly re-trim to remove the large control forces trying to push her nose too high, then add remaining power and finish trimming. She HAS to use trim to her advantage. She’s not a fat old flight instructor with chiseled arms of steel, like some of us. :) But that trim wheel makes her equally capable of putting the nose right where she wants it.

Hahaha. Right. Chiseled. I’m about as chiseled as a brick. :)

Here’s some fun for you. You know how tired you are of hearing the instructor say right rudder? My STOL airplane, the STC changes to the POH day this in the pre-takeoff checklist for short and soft field takeoffs.

Rudder trim: Half right.

Hahahaha. No kidding. And it works. And I STILL need to push a little more right rudder with my foot. Because when you rotate and fly off at the silly-low speeds of a STOL airplane, the rudder just isn’t fully effective at liftoff. It’s flapping way over there to the right trying to find some air to grab and most of it is coming from the prop!

Have fun thinking about all this. It’ll help in he airplane when you realize the control pressures are changing because airspeed is changing! :) You’ll settle right in knowing how that trim really works!

@denverpilot probably covered this, but I have a limited data plan so couldn’t afford to download his novels.

It takes some practice to realize it, but you’re trimming for a particular AIRSPEED.

Here’s an exercise that might help solidify this concept: Go to the practice area at an appropriate maneuvering altitude. Set the trim for your approach speed. Then, add and remove power. You’ll see the airplane will climb or descend, but the airspeed won’t change (once it’s settled in its new flight attitude).

Once you realize that, you’ll find trimming for approach is pretty much a single adjustment. Hold control pressure as necessary to achieve your desired approach speed and then trim off the control pressure (essentially telling the plane “this is the airspeed I want, thank you very much”). Then, adjust power as needed for the descent and you should be all set.

Landings are always frustrating for the student (and the instructor) at some point. Seems like the student has some success, then finds he unable do it the next well time out. Very frustrating. That and he is itching to fly and can't.
Crosswind landings for the PPL.
Holds and hold entries for the IFR.

As far as the level off and flare goes my primary instructor broke it down very simply like this -
"move the controls whatever amount you need to move them at a rate that corresponds with what is happening"

In other words if after the level off you are descending quickly then you flare quickly. if you are descending slowly then you flare slowly.

Same theory also worked great doing autorotations and serves me well even to this day when landing the CRJ.

Back