Questions for Flight Schools

Andrew Byrd

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingByrd
Hey guys, I'm planning on touring a flight school in a couple of weeks that is about 10 hours away so I'm trying to prepare ahead of time as much as possible. Part of that preparation is making a word document containing questions to ask the flight school. Any suggestions?

What's the purpose of this exercise? Is it for your own decision making or for a school project? If school, what level? If we provide you with questions, will you know what constitutes a good or proper answer?

@bobmrg ... do you have any resources on this topic?

@bobmrg ... do you have any resources on this topic?

No. I would look for signs of orderly administration, attentiveness to customers needs, cleanliness...after that it is all instructor-student chemistry. Any school is going to recite the regulatory minimums for certification and ballpark a cost estimate. I would check on the number of planes and instructors available to ensure that my progress would not be delayed because of a 100-hour inspection or an instructor who is on a charter (an unforgivable sin). A lot of it is gut feeling. And do not put down money up front, no matter how good the discount looks...schools have gone out of business with student's deposits unrefunded.

Bob

Hey guys, I'm planning on touring a flight school in a couple of weeks that is about 10 hours away so I'm trying to prepare ahead of time as much as possible. Part of that preparation is making a word document containing questions to ask the flight school. Any suggestions?
This sounds like you'll be moving to someplace with a full-time school, such as ATP, Embry Riddle or similar. If so,
Step 1 - check reliability, how long has it been in business, what are the financial arrangements?

If you are happy with the answers, then....

What is the experience level of the CFIs?
What is the turnovers rate of CFis?
How many students does a CFI have at any given time?
Is ground school included?
Is there a good relationship with local DEs?
Give an example of a student's typical day.
What airplanes are in the fleet?
Do you have your own maintenance shop?

There's more, but most of these can and should be answered before you get there. Then when you get there you should be more interested in meeting CFIs and seeing which match with your personality and learning style.

No. I would look for signs of orderly administration, attentiveness to customers needs, cleanliness...after that it is all instructor-student chemistry. Any school is going to recite the regulatory minimums for certification and ballpark a cost estimate. I would check on the number of planes and instructors available to ensure that my progress would not be delayed because of a 100-hour inspection or an instructor who is on a charter (an unforgivable sin). A lot of it is gut feeling. And do not put down money up front, no matter how good the discount looks...schools have gone out of business with student's deposits unrefunded.

Bob
Thanks Bob, great things to look for!

What's the purpose of this exercise? Is it for your own decision making or for a school project? If school, what level? If we provide you with questions, will you know what constitutes a good or proper answer?
No this is not a school project haha. I have my PPL, but I always tend to think of questions to ask after the fact, so I'm trying to plan ahead so I don't miss anything. If they were 30 minutes away, I wouldn't mind missing something cause I could just pop in and ask, but if they're 10 hours away I really need to have my ducks in a row.

This sounds like you'll be moving to someplace with a full-time school, such as ATP, Embry Riddle or similar. If so,
Step 1 - check reliability, how long has it been in business, what are the financial arrangements?

If you are happy with the answers, then....

What is the experience level of the CFIs?
What is the turnovers rate of CFis?
How many students does a CFI have at any given time?
Is ground school included?
Is there a good relationship with local DEs?
Give an example of a student's typical day.
What airplanes are in the fleet?
Do you have your own maintenance shop?

There's more, but most of these can and should be answered before you get there. Then when you get there you should be more interested in meeting CFIs and seeing which match with your personality and learning style.
Thank you so much! This is something that would be way down deep, but that I'd never think about without planning! Great questions.

+1 on the list from @murphey Also, how long are people in the program.

There's a place nearby that does it and you can live there. If it is something like that take a REAL LONG LOOK around, with your eyes, ears and NOSE.

+1 on the list from @murphey Also, how long are people in the program.

There's a place nearby that does it and you can live there. If it is something like that take a REAL LONG LOOK around, with your eyes, ears and NOSE.
Is there anything kinda shady I guess would be the way to put it, that I should look out for? I've been told that supposedly their Hobbs is activated by the master switch as opposed to the typical oil pressure, so as soon as that switch is flipped, they are counting time. And supposedly they require a post flight light check which would require that switch to be on while you're doing a post flight check. I have that on my list, so I will be asking about that.

You do know the flight school doesn't teach you anything, or have much effect on your training, that's all the individual CFI.

I'd be interviewing CFIs and going to whichever school (if not freelanced) that CFI was at.

When I was learning and looking for a school my favorite question to ask was "do you allow students access to the aircraft logbooks and maintenance records?" If they said no I didn't bother. Also if they have had any accidents or incidents. Yes answers were fine as long as they were honest. The place I got all my ratings at did have accidents/incidents but were open and upfront about them. though the vast majority were just people ground looping the Supercubs, they were honest.

I wish more people asked some of the good questions above, and stopped asking "how much is it, how can I get a discount and how fast can I get it done?". I lose students because I give honest averages and answers instead of being the lowest bidder.

You do know the flight school doesn't teach you anything, or have much effect on your training, that's all the individual CFI.

I'd be interviewing CFIs and going to whichever school (if not freelanced) that CFI was at.
I do realize that, and your point is noted. I will say though, the interviewing of a flight school could be considered the "first interview" for an instructor. It is very unlikely that an instructor would stay with a school that they have strong disagreements with, not saying it doesn't happen, but its unlikely. After I meet with the Chief, the. would be the best time to meet with the instructors. After all, instructors are in as high demand as airline pilots (trickle down effect).

When I was learning and looking for a school my favorite question to ask was "do you allow students access to the aircraft logbooks and maintenance records?" If they said no I didn't bother. Also if they have had any accidents or incidents. Yes answers were fine as long as they were honest. The place I got all my ratings at did have accidents/incidents but were open and upfront about them. though the vast majority were just people ground looping the Supercubs, they were honest.

I wish more people asked some of the good questions above, and stopped asking "how much is it, how can I get a discount and how fast can I get it done?". I lose students because I give honest averages and answers instead of being the lowest bidder.
I agree completely about being the "lowest bidder". I understand you gotta have the money to do it, but at the same time, I feel you can't put a price on my life. Safety records are paramount, but I shouldn't be paying $100,000 to get my multi Ppl, instrument and multi commercial. It's all in the hands of the purchaser (student), but hopefully all student will agree with me when I say that safety is WAY more important than cost. I'd pay $200,000 to train with a safe school as opposed to the same ratings from a not as safe school for $50,000.

No this is not a school project haha. I have my PPL, but I always tend to think of questions to ask after the fact, so I'm trying to plan ahead so I don't miss anything. If they were 30 minutes away, I wouldn't mind missing something cause I could just pop in and ask, but if they're 10 hours away I really need to have my ducks in a row.

Got it. When you wrote that part of the preparation was making a Word document, it sort of sounded like you were doing a school project. In fact the phrasing of the overall post sort of seemed that way to me. My mistake.

Both Murphey & Bob had good thoughts but unless you know what is a good answer to their questions then not much use asking them.

To tell you the truth, if the Hobbs info is correct that would be a non starter for me. I'd look for someplace closer to home to begin with.

Also providing the name and location of the school would allow those on POA who are familiar to provide you with specific feedback. There are people here from all over the USA and if no one has personal knowledge of the school they will know someone who does.

Good luck.

I do realize that, and your point is noted. I will say though, the interviewing of a flight school could be considered the "first interview" for an instructor. It is very unlikely that an instructor would stay with a school that they have strong disagreements with, not saying it doesn't happen, but its unlikely. After I meet with the Chief, the. would be the best time to meet with the instructors. After all, instructors are in as high demand as airline pilots (trickle down effect).

Yes and no, the quality instructors don't just stop instructing once they can downgrade to a regional airline job, so the airlines don't really change the dynamic of finding a GOOD instructor as much as finding bulk instructors, if that makes sense.

You'll also find that most of the really good ones freelance, I did this for quite some time and still do to an extent, I had privileges at a few schools, by that I mean my students could rent their aircraft and use me, paying me separate from the plane, or paying everything through me, I didn't really know their CFIs very well and couldn't say much for their instruction, most of my interaction was initially with the owner and after that just with the front desk.

My recommendation would be to ask for a CFI recommendation on these forums as well as on some regional aviation facebook groups if you can find any, make a list and interview those CFIs.

Use the cheapest airworthy plane you can find, bonus points if you can find a taildragger or a glider.

I'd wager you a beer the above method will not only provide a considerably better education, but will also probably save you some money.

I'd wager you a beer the above method will not only provide a considerably better education, but will also probably save you some money.

Beer?! Someone mention beer? Oh yeah, it is beer-thirty isn't it....

Last edited:
Look at the conditions of the airplanes and the attitudes of the instructors!

Look at the conditions of the airplanes and the attitudes of the instructors!

At his stage I doubt he can judge the condition of the aircraft, faded paint or a ripped seat is about all most non aviation people know to look for, you could show them a fully overhauled plane with faded paint and a worn 70s interior and they take a death trap with new paint and pretty seat covers.

I will second finding a CFI who's attitude meshes with him

Pretty much all the above. You might want to add where do y'all go to eat around here?

Back