Questionable change from VFR to IFR

Instructors like this need to be taken out and shot. He should never have let the hooded pilot fly into IMC without a clearance (and certainly not posted his transgression).

A while back I was flying back home to my field. I was above an overcast so I requested the ILS into the next airport over (we have no approaches). I'm just inbound on the hold-in-loo when ZTL reports traffic ahead of me at my altitude that he is not talking to. I tell them I am in solid IMC and offer to take another loop in the hold for this guy to move out of the way. The second time around the traffic is clear and I fly on in breaking out at about 2000' and then just cancel and fly VFR into my strip.

It turns out the culprit were two flight instructors, one giving the other a BFR or IPC or something. The one playing instructor allowed the hooded student to fly up into the clouds. His wife was in the back seat and called it out to him. He was rightfully livid (especially when I told him I could have easily hit him on the approach had I not gotten the radar callout). I made a note to never fly with the so-called instructor.

I heard another one of these down in the RIC class C one day. The controller utters the words I never want to hear directed at me: "Do you know how close you came to hitting another aircraft."

Just because you "can" be IFR doesn't give you any latitude on entering the clouds without being IFR.

I found this over on Reddit and the discussion there was pretty damning towards the CFI. Thoughts? https://streamable.com/819do
CFI needs to be damned. Seems unconcerned that they are in the goo without a clearance. Tells the student to take an altitude given to another aircraft. And then asks the guy in the back seat to pass up the IPad so he can figure out where he is. Someone needs to rip the epulats off his shoulder and smack him upside the head with them

I don't have a problem with requesting an IFR clearance if the weather deteriorates during a VFR flight but, as far as I can tell, unless they were in Class B airspace, they were't meeting VFR cloud clearance requirements at any point in the video.

I don't have a problem with requesting an IFR clearance if the weather deteriorates during a VFR flight but, as far as I can tell, unless they were in Class B airspace, they were't meeting VFR cloud clearance requirements at any point in the video.
Yeah, not anywhere close.
The student on the radio confesses to Approach that they are already in the clouds when requesting the clearance.

EDIT: it wasn't the student. The CFI was doing all the talking

Last edited:
Agree with all the comments. It's easy to just call and get a clearance for whatever you want to do. I've done it many times. This clown CFI filming the transgression hopefully back fires on him and the FAA comes after him.

That is pretty ridiculous. Man

Agree with all the comments. It's easy to just call and get a clearance for whatever you want to do. I've done it many times. This clown CFI filming the transgression hopefully back fires on him and the FAA comes after him.
I wonder if the controller caught it when he said he was already in the clouds.

When I saw the name of the school as the "14 day IFR" or whatever, I knew it was going to be bad

Then I saw the flight was part of a "luxury" flight training package, and I knew it was going to be so bad it would be a good watch.

Then I saw the gold bars in a 172 cockpit and the little in ear headset, and I was sold, this is going to oh so bad it has to be a good watch, and it didn't fail to disappoint lol

But legit between the name of the school, name of the IFR program and just looking at the CFI, you'd have to be a complete dumb dumb to think you were at a good school.

Last edited:
14 day pilot is still on day 7 or so...

Here's a follow-up video where the CFI discusses the flight:

image.jpg

Scary, he's actually holds a type rating in a citation! Talk about no excuse to not know better.

It's not the type rating that concerns me. It the instrument rating.

That too, and the "English proficient" might leave a little to be desired as well.

Oh man, that guys site...

So, apparently he's also a director?!

image.jpg

And why didn't I get 4 gold bars and even flight wings when I got my PPL, guess I should have found a better instructor like Capt / Film Director Gema lol!

image.jpg

http://www.14daypilot.com/

Last edited:
Then I saw the gold bars in a 172 cockpit and the little in ear headset,

I was in Flagstaff, AZ one time. There were several business jets parked, one puny little C-414 (that I was in) and an even smaller C-172. I saw 4 people walk out of the FBO, two in white shirts and ties, one of the white shirts with 4 stripes, the other with 3 stripes. I try to guess which business jet they will get into.

They walked straight to the 172 and start getting in.....:lol::lol::lol:

I don't wear a white shirt, tie and stripes, not even for Halloween...

I don't have engrish proficient on my certificate. Is that something I should have...???

Here's a follow-up video where the CFI discusses the flight:

Also is it me, or for someone who "knows the rules" does he start to go a little sideways at 4:50 when he starts rattling off cloud clearances?

I don't have engrish proficient on my certificate. Is that something I should have...???

You know, I'm not sure if that's required or if you're grandfathered in. We had to get it when I was at the airline.

You know, I'm not sure if that's required or if you're grandfathered in. We had to get it when I was at the airline.

From what I understand it would be required if I was going to fly out of the USA. There is probably more to that but I don't do nighttime flights from south of the border, down Mexico way, to undisclosed landing areas in the desert anymore.....

I'll just keep my unique certificate for now.

Then I saw the gold bars in a 172 cockpit and the little in ear headset, and I was sold, this is going to oh so bad it has to be a good watch, and it didn't fail to disappoint lol

What's the issue with the in-ear headset?

Dear Randy

Thanks for the feed back

Please watch this as the explanation from the SAFETY PILOT before he became Citation Pilot and CFI

It wasnt Instruction flight and both pilots are friend went lunch and got trapped after.

Official explanation also published

It was 12 months ago and this video is used for education purpose to make future students aware for the mistake. Its totally a PIC and safety pilot error and as we know one of them at least realized and did a corrective action. Many motives in here, seems like the attackers are vulnerable and immune from mistakes.

To make a better understanding-

1. That video was for education purpose to made other students aware for the pilot mistake

2. NO ONE WAS INSTRUCTOR. It was far away back before Right hand seat Guy became Instructor, 12 MONTHS AGO and you can check with the ATC. Its a lunch flight got trapped into IMC.

3. They are friend and the PIC was that time FOREIGN BASED PPL and few months after finish his FULL PPL CHECKRIDE conversion. And the SAFETY PILOT finally got his Type rating checkride few months later and CFI

4. The point is The Safety Pilot aware it was a mistake and even the PIC now has his full PPL license

No body perfect from mistake. There are so many videos of flight out there And we believe not every videos are perfect from mistakes and violation. We dont attack and bullying each other for that but help them to aware and make a better decision next time. No point to make a conflict, better use this experience as a positive point to improve.

Thank you for the feed back and hope this explain well and become a good lesson for everyone

KARIN

THANK YOU MR RANDY

Response to an email I sent.

I felt my blood pressure rise while watching that. I hope that idiot gets his ticket pulled. I'm all for learning from mistakes, but that went entirely way too long before he ever did anything about it.
I get the feeling from those type of pilot-mill instructors that they don’t seem to know their end from a hole in the ground.

Last edited:

I love how their argument is that the other guy is a safety pilot instead of instructor. This "safety pilot" was doing an awful lot of coaching and directing as well has handling all ATC calls Hmmm....

Even if that is the case (which I have my doubts about) wouldn't it have been prudent for this "safety pilot" to alert the PIC while he was under the hood that they were in fact in IMC for a good period of time?

I'm sorry it's just not a valid excuse. Any certificated pilot at any level knows that they shouldn't be doing that. Mistakes happen and IMC can sneak up on you but they were just hanging out in IMC for a extending period of time. That isn't a mistake at that point, it is a conscious decision that you are willing to violate the rules that keep us safe.

How many of us haven't been IFR in IMC and had VFR traffic called?

A CFI friend of mine took a primary student out for a night proficiency flight with IMC in the vicinity, in an aircraft that didn't even have working cockpit illumination. They blundered into the IMC and nearly lost it. I dressed him down three ways to Sunday over that cluster****. Just about got himself and his student dead. Me chewing out a CFI, pretty ironic.

I actually chewed out an airline captain once, as respectfully as I could manage. Didn't do any good.

A CFI friend of mine took a primary student out for a night proficiency flight with IMC in the vicinity, in an aircraft that didn't even have working cockpit illumination. They blundered into the IMC and nearly lost it. I dressed him down three ways to Sunday over that cluster****. Just about got himself and his student dead. Me chewing out a CFI, pretty ironic.

I actually chewed out an airline captain once, as respectfully as I could manage. Didn't do any good.
I have chewed out lots of airline pilots, like the guy that had a engine overtemp on a 727 for 3 legs. He told me he did us a favor by waiting until he got to DFW before writing it up. He was changing equipment at DFW. Chewed him out in front of the pax exiting plane. These were the days when burner can shift was a problem.

How many of us haven't been IFR in IMC and had VFR traffic called?
Me. :) (I am a special snowflake)
I was VFR in VMC at 3,000 about 500 below a solid deck. Approach calls some Mooney at 4,500 and tells them about us. I hear a reply "traffic in sight".
They then call me and tell me about Mooney traffic ahead, opposite direction who has me in sight. I reply "negative contact, we are under a solid deck". Silence. No questions. I felt bad but I only reported my exact situation (didn't really want to rat out another pilot, although a liar). At least he was in level flight and not descending toward us.

But yes, okay, I'll agree that I should not have even replied because I surely have been in solid IMC and had VFR traffic called out around my altitude. LOL I'll STFU now.

At KIMM there's a CFI that thinks a right pattern is the way to go. When asked were he got that info he showed the example of a right pattern in the instructional books. This is one if the guys out if Tamiami teaching the future Air India pilots. On unicom their English is lacking to say the least.

The dude doesn't get it.

Also it's how the video was titled, and how they reacted, it seems they didn't even know they did anything wrong until the comments, also seems to be a good amount of clear under that cloud bank, they didn't ask for the ILS to get out of the clouds, they asked for it for practice and only pulled a IFR after ATC told them a few different times and a few ways that there was no way to shoot the ILS under VFR.

Going VFR into IMC is always a bad idea, but doing it during a busy time of day in the LA basin, into a busy airport, that's just asking to make the news.

Add to that the guy in the right seat WAS NOT JUST A SAFTEY PILOT, since the left seat didn't hold a US PPL and they were in a N reg aircraft, the right seat was PIC all day long, and despite him not being a CFI at the time, it sure as heck looked like he was giving instruction (I'll be it poor instruction) to that student.

Last edited:
At KIMM there's a CFI that thinks a right pattern is the way to go.
Students should be comfortable flying both left & right patterns. What is he suggesting that’s rubbing you the wrong way?

Students should be comfortable flying both left & right patterns. What is he suggesting that’s rubbing you the wrong way?
Other than the regulatory requirement that all turns be to the left unless a right pattern is indicated?

The airport has a left pattern. He was flying against traffic. He didn't know how to discern what the pattern is. He flys right patterns where ever he goes. He took the example of a right pattern in the book as the way you fly the pattern at every airport. The guy is a CFI.

Back