Question

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
More of a curiosity thing... what is the purpose of the what appears to be stabilizers on the tail for? Are the acting as wing-let to give the aileron more oomph?

image.png.3e2d82604f42375edd01749ac6ad85f1.png

Additional vertical stabilizer area to make up for the floats and/or turbine sticking out ahead of the CG.

Nauga,
and Cn,beta

what is the purpose of the what appears to be stabilizers on the tail for?
Longitudinal Directional stability. As mentioned some float planes push too much air up front and it makes the tail/yaw a bit aerodynamically challenged. The extra fins help keep it straight. Beaver has them also.

Last edited:
More of a curiosity thing... what is the purpose of the what appears to be stabilizers on the tail for? Are the acting as wing-let to give the aileron more oomph?

image.png.3e2d82604f42375edd01749ac6ad85f1.png
Aileron more oomph?

You will notice the NASA shuttle carrier also had similar devises on the horizontal stabilizer.. and the Canadair fire plane has them as well.

Directional stability ;)
My bad--I fixed it. Maybe it's the vortex generators for the longitudinal stability? Either that or my memory has completely failed.....:confused:

The Beech 1900D always had a bit of a Lego hodge-podge look to it.. it's certainly not winning any beauty awards!

In general, adding floats tends to destabilize the aircraft in flight, especially in yaw.

The Cessna 206 requires a greatly-enlarged rudder and a ventral fin when operated on floats.

5954879.jpg

The Cessna 195 floatplane has extra vertical tail surfaces as well, looking like a Bellanca:

P1030905.JPG

Back