Question regards scars and a future visit to an AME

U

Unregistered

So I'm going to school to become a pilot in the fall since my college starts around the middle of August. I have an appointment scheduled with an AME, but I don't know too much about him. I do know that he's really well respected in terms of giving patients the best care he can, so I assume he's a pretty decent guy. I've tried calling to speak to him personally, but he's part of a huge major hospital, and the receptionists won't let me speak to him unless I schedule an appointment. Yes, yes, I know. I shouldn't go to an AME that I don't really know too much about, but I have no friends or family in the aviation field. Also, my school doesn't really give me a list of AMEs to go visit (which is kind of crappy.)

Anyways, a clarifier: I have never been diagnosed with depression, ADD, ADHD, or taken medication for either of those conditions. I have never had suicidal thoughts or even brought up the idea of killing myself in my head. I don't take any medication other than the occasional ibuprofen for head ache relief when necessary. I don't have any kind of medical condition that would stop me from becoming a pilot.

Now, the current issue (don't judge me, please): I have scars on my left arm ranging from my shoulder all the way down to the middle of my forearm. I dated a girl roughly four years ago who was into a blood fetish, and I thought I would try it out. It turns out that I liked it. However, over the course of two years of dating this girl, it's left some pretty nasty scars on myself that could look self inflicted from a doctor's stand point. However, I have never wanted to cut myself due to me being depressed or to use it as a coping mechanism. It's simply an extremely weird sexual deviancy kind of thing.

Also, I had a friend roughly four years ago that committed suicide. I wanted a tattoo, but my parents wouldn't allow it, so I looked up online about a process known as "scarification" that basically is like tattooing by allowing an injury to scar over. I did that when I was fifteen as a way to remember her by. I understand this was kind of a short sighted decision to make, but we all make really stupid choices when we're young. Some of us more than others. However, while doing these things, I never did them to alleviate depression or any other kind mental illness.

My question is will the scars (as well as the explanation of them) cause the AME to medically defer my medical certificate to the FAA? I know he's going to ask to see all visible scars, but I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The FAA says that all things related to a mental illness will pretty much defer the medical, yet these scars have nothing to do with a mental illness. However, I'm worried that the doc might see it that way and defer it. Can he do that? Sorry, maybe I'm just really overthinking this.

This is not the place to ask. You need a Drs opinion and statement. You need to find AME that you can see now. Are you a member of AOPA or EAA? They both have medical access that can point you in the right direction.

You will have to wear long sleeved shirts because the scars will give most people a lot of concern as to mental condition.

This is just my opinion. We all have baggage.

Will said AME's staff let you see the AME if you make an appointment for a *consultation* instead of a flight physical? At a consultation, there is no jeopardy for deferment as you have not formally applied for a medical certificate. You can explain your situation to the AME and ask him what paperwork will be required for him to issue you in the office, if that is indeed possible.

If his staff won't allow that, then you definitely have the wrong AME and need to look further. Hint: if you chose someone at random from the FAA's list, then you almost certainly have the wrong guy. Good AMEs are few and far between. They are nearly always Senior AMEs (it's not clear from your post whether you need a higher class of medical than 3rd, but if you do, you need a senior AME anyway), but even a senior AME can be the kind who won't do consultations or defers anyone who has a questionable medical history. You want someone who will take the time to talk to you "off the record", and to do the research if he doesn't know the answer immediately. That kind you aren't likely to find except through the grapevine, or here.

If you would post your general area, someone may be able to recommend a good local AME. If you're anywhere near central Illinois, the man to see is Dr. Bruce Chien in Peoria, who also frequents the AOPA forum (the "Red Board"). In Michigan, both Dr. Robert Gordon in the Detroit area and Dr. Greg Pinnell in Saginaw/Bay City are good choices (I mention Pinnell by reputation, Gordon by experience).

Good luck.

Will said AME's staff let you see the AME if you make an appointment for a *consultation* instead of a flight physical? At a consultation, there is no jeopardy for deferment as you have not formally applied for a medical certificate. You can explain your situation to the AME and ask him what paperwork will be required for him to issue you in the office, if that is indeed possible.

If his staff won't allow that, then you definitely have the wrong AME and need to look further. Hint: if you chose someone at random from the FAA's list, then you almost certainly have the wrong guy. Good AMEs are few and far between. They are nearly always Senior AMEs (it's not clear from your post whether you need a higher class of medical than 3rd, but if you do, you need a senior AME anyway), but even a senior AME can be the kind who won't do consultations or defers anyone who has a questionable medical history. You want someone who will take the time to talk to you "off the record", and to do the research if he doesn't know the answer immediately. That kind you aren't likely to find except through the grapevine, or here.

If you would post your general area, someone may be able to recommend a good local AME. If you're anywhere near central Illinois, the man to see is Dr. Bruce Chien in Peoria, who also frequents the AOPA forum (the "Red Board"). In Michigan, both Dr. Robert Gordon in the Detroit area and Dr. Greg Pinnell in Saginaw/Bay City are good choices (I mention Pinnell by reputation, Gordon by experience).

Good luck.

This. I filled out my form and submitted it before seeing the AME. Turns out I over-thought a couple questions and answered yes when it wasn't really what the FAA was looking for. I could have legitimately answered no. By answering yes and submitting the form, it cost me a bunch of additional testing and headache that wasnt necessary. A consultation would have caught this and allowed me to avoid the PITA that ensued.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information. I'm sorry I didn't clarify. My school requires me to get a 1st Class Medical, and I need someone in Ohio.

My biggest concern is what my scars personally fall underneath. I don't really think my bedroom habits have anything to do with me being mentally capable of flying an airplane. I was checking to see if a doctor would defer me based on that. Yes, it's an unusual thing that I did, but it was only with this one girl. I haven't really done it at all since then.

Unfortunately, I have already went to the medxpress.faa.gov website and filled out the form, but I know I checked all of the right boxes and gave the right information. I was thinking that maybe I could go into the doctor's office and just "forget" to bring in the form and see what he says.

This is not the place to ask. You need a Drs opinion and statement. You need to find AME that you can see now. Are you a member of AOPA or EAA? They both have medical access that can point you in the right direction.

You will have to wear long sleeved shirts because the scars will give most people a lot of concern as to mental condition.

This is just my opinion. We all have baggage.

Sorry for double posting, but I have tried to create an account to access the AOPA forums. It'll let me put my information in and everything, but every time I try to access the member forums, it asks me to verify my username and password. Despite the fact that I put those in correctly, it denies me access. So I don't know what's up with the AOPA website. :c

So I'm going to school to become a pilot in the fall since my college starts around the middle of August. I have an appointment scheduled with an AME, but I don't know too much about him. I do know that he's really well respected in terms of giving patients the best care he can, so I assume he's a pretty decent guy. I've tried calling to speak to him personally, but he's part of a huge major hospital, and the receptionists won't let me speak to him unless I schedule an appointment. Yes, yes, I know. I shouldn't go to an AME that I don't really know too much about, but I have no friends or family in the aviation field. Also, my school doesn't really give me a list of AMEs to go visit (which is kind of crappy.)

Anyways, a clarifier: I have never been diagnosed with depression, ADD, ADHD, or taken medication for either of those conditions. I have never had suicidal thoughts or even brought up the idea of killing myself in my head. I don't take any medication other than the occasional ibuprofen for head ache relief when necessary. I don't have any kind of medical condition that would stop me from becoming a pilot.

Now, the current issue (don't judge me, please): I have scars on my left arm ranging from my shoulder all the way down to the middle of my forearm. I dated a girl roughly four years ago who was into a blood fetish, and I thought I would try it out. It turns out that I liked it. However, over the course of two years of dating this girl, it's left some pretty nasty scars on myself that could look self inflicted from a doctor's stand point. However, I have never wanted to cut myself due to me being depressed or to use it as a coping mechanism. It's simply an extremely weird sexual deviancy kind of thing.

Also, I had a friend roughly four years ago that committed suicide. I wanted a tattoo, but my parents wouldn't allow it, so I looked up online about a process known as "scarification" that basically is like tattooing by allowing an injury to scar over. I did that when I was fifteen as a way to remember her by. I understand this was kind of a short sighted decision to make, but we all make really stupid choices when we're young. Some of us more than others. However, while doing these things, I never did them to alleviate depression or any other kind mental illness.

My question is will the scars (as well as the explanation of them) cause the AME to medically defer my medical certificate to the FAA? I know he's going to ask to see all visible scars, but I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The FAA says that all things related to a mental illness will pretty much defer the medical, yet these scars have nothing to do with a mental illness. However, I'm worried that the doc might see it that way and defer it. Can he do that? Sorry, maybe I'm just really overthinking this.

My god dude, wear a long sleeve shirt and don't mention it unless asked, answer questions consisley and only answer the question being asked.

The AME isn't going to ask to see all scars or tats, it's a simple physical, if a AME asks you undress I'd laugh and tell him you don't swing that way.

Not a issue, unless you CHOOSE to make it one.

Don't get diherea of the mouth

Last edited:
"What are those scars from?" "I was dating this nympho freak chick that wanted to lick my blood before sex." "What did you think about that?" "Weird, but it was decent ***** in trade for a scratch." It'll get a head shake and he'll move onto the next question.

Thanks for the information. I'm sorry I didn't clarify. My school requires me to get a 1st Class Medical, and I need someone in Ohio.
Not sure why it HAS to be in Ohio. The 1st class requirement means you need a Senior AME.
Unfortunately, I have already went to the medxpress.faa.gov website and filled out the form, but I know I checked all of the right boxes and gave the right information. I was thinking that maybe I could go into the doctor's office and just "forget" to bring in the form and see what he says.
The way the medxpress form works is you have to give the "confirmation number" to the AME. He punches it into the system and ONLY THEN is the exam "live", i.e. only then are you committed to one of three possible outcomes, issue, defer, deny. So you can bring in the form with the number redacted if you like, and go over everything with the AME, and if he says he can issue you, THEN AND ONLY THEN let him punch in the number and do an exam.

In other words, you are NOT committed to an exam just by having submitted the form. So fear not on that count. The only question is whether your AME will let you do a consultation prior to a "live" exam. Not all will do that. It pays to shop around.

Why does it have to be an Ohio AME again? Even if it does, there are a lot of Ohio pilots on here and I'm sure someone will be able give you a pointer to a good one.

My god dude, wear a long sleeve shirt and don't mention it unless asked, answer questions consisley and only answer the question being asked.

The AME isn't going to ask to see all scars or tats, it's a simple physical, if a AME asks you undress I'd laugh and tell him you don't swing that way.

Not a issue, unless you CHOOSE to make it one.

Don't get diherea of the mouth
All good advice, but there is no guarantee it won't come out anyway. Some med technicians insist on rolling up the sleeve to take your blood pressure. Best to discuss this in advance with the AME.

You have not been diagnosed with any DG'ing conditions. It's none of their business. Did I see where you said you sent in a med express form already? Simple, send in a new one answering the questions as asked, use the number for the new one and the old one will evaporate.

All good advice, but there is no guarantee it won't come out anyway. Some med technicians insist on rolling up the sleeve to take your blood pressure. Best to discuss this in advance with the AME.

Roll up the other sleeve. :dunno:

Besides having scars isn't a disqualifying condition, like I said just don't diharea of the mouth about it.

Roll up the other sleeve. :dunno:

Besides having scars isn't a disqualifying condition, like I said just don't diharea of the mouth about it.

I've never done this before, so thanks for the advice. What I'm worried about is the AME deferring the medical because he thinks otherwise. From what I've read, recording and documenting any scars is part of the standard practice.

What I'm worried about is giving him the truth. He asks, "What are those scars from?" "Oh, I dated this chick that was into this weird crap, thought I'd try it out, and it turns out it was pretty good. Dated her for a long time, so stuff adds up, you know?" "I don't believe you. I believe these are self harm scars, and I don't feel comfortable putting my signature on your medical certificate."

Not sure if this happens. I guess my mind is going worst case scenario here.

I've never done this before, so thanks for the advice. What I'm worried about is the AME deferring the medical because he thinks otherwise. From what I've read, recording and documenting any scars is part of the standard practice.

What I'm worried about is giving him the truth. He asks, "What are those scars from?" "Oh, I dated this chick that was into this weird crap, thought I'd try it out, and it turns out it was pretty good. Dated her for a long time, so stuff adds up, you know?" "I don't believe you. I believe these are self harm scars, and I don't feel comfortable putting my signature on your medical certificate."

I've never had a AME ask to document scars or anything, and I wouldn't go to a AME that did that type of thing.

Maybe if it was a scar from open heart surgery or something?

Go to your local airport, or small flight school and ask who they recommend for a AME, or ask here, get your medical with them, as long as you get what ever medical is required no one is going to care who you got it from.

As for the scars, think up a better story, or just say it's nothing that they need to worry about, and has zero to do with the matter at hand and move on, people talk too damn much, and about stuff that is no ones business.

I think you're really making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

Last edited:

He'll believe you took cuts for *****, dudes do all sorts of stupid crap for *****.:lol: Don't tell him you wanted to try it, tell him it was a condition of getting laid.

The AME is supposed to note "Identifying body marks, scars, and tattoos (size and location) and tick the "normal" or "abnormal" box. And, given the FAA's record of total intolerance of anything when it comes to "between the ears" stuff, how do you think this might go?

You want an AME that can deal with difficult cases - try this list http://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/media/HIMS INDEPENDENT MEDICAL SPONSORS.pdf

I've never had a AME ask to document scars or anything, and I wouldn't go to a AME that did that type of thing.
How do you know until you actually go? I remember having an AME ask about some abrasion scars on my shin which were barely visible. It was from where I hit a tree skiing and broke my leg when I was 16. I had reported that on my first medical. It was no issue at the time and since then PRNC. I think that was the only time I was asked about those scars. I have also heard of people measuring tattoos, for identification purposes in the unfortunate circumstance that they might be needed. This happened to a friend of mine.

Maybe if it was a scar from open heart surgery or something?
Then you would have reported it already, hopefully

Last edited:
Never been asked to show all my scars in a medical. I agree with the long sleeve short and MYOB approach.

And your story is unusual enough that I doubt anyone on here can tell you whether it happens. But we all know that there are plenty of things that one AME will issue while another will defer, and cases where the FAA reverses a med cert or asks for further information after the fact because they are suspicious of something. So you're on the right track by looking for more info, but you need it from an AME, not from some people on an internet board.

You have the names of three good AMEs who aren't all that far from you. James is right, no one will care who you went to for your flight physical as long as you come out with the class of certificate your school requires. Go to one of them, or someone else recommended by other pilots who have been through the FAA medical gauntlet.

How do you know until you actually go? I remember having an AME ask about some abrasion scars on my shin which were barely visible. It was from where I hit a tree skiing and broke my leg when I was 16. I had reported that on my first medical. It was no issue at the time and since then PRNC. I think that was the only time I was asked about that. I have also heard of people measuring tattoos, for identification purposes in the unfortunate circumstance that they might be needed.

Then you would have reported it already, hopefully

Word of mouth from other pilots.

Also I'd find a better AME if I were you, sounds like your AME isn't making sure you're safe, he's trying to find problems, these are two ENTIRELY different ways of doing things.

I have a medical every year, never have I ever been asked anything that intrusive, nor would I ever go to, or recommend a quack AME that pulled that crap.

The AME is supposed to note "Identifying body marks, scars, and tattoos (size and location) and tick the "normal" or "abnormal" box. And, given the FAA's record of total intolerance of anything when it comes to "between the ears" stuff, how do you think this might go?

You want an AME that can deal with difficult cases - try this list http://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/media/HIMS INDEPENDENT MEDICAL SPONSORS.pdf

If you think this requires a "difficult case" AME.....

Last edited:
Never been asked to show all my scars in a medical. I agree with the long sleeve short and MYOB approach.

I have, when he asked I asked back, "All of them, or just the biggies? Because I have a lot of scars." He just pointed at the ones and I either identified them or said "can't remember". The ones from surgeries were all "PRNC" and then a bunch of ones from various accidents and fires. All of it was just noted and on we went, no problems.

Find a better AME.

I have a medical every year, never have I ever been asked anything that intrusive, nor would I ever go to, or recommend a quack AME that pulled that crap.
You never really know. Besides, the OP sounds like he is planning a career as a pilot. Do you think that it is reasonable to say that he will never need to take off his shirt? What about when he gets an EKG at 35?

Then you got lucky and found a pencil whipping AME. Scars are one of the things the FAA requires the AME to document.

From what I've read, recording and documenting any scars is part of the standard practice.

They Definitely do that for military flyers, but the purpose is a means of identifying you after a fatal crash as an alternative/additional means to other identifying features, not for purposes of disqualification.

Off hand, I don't remember any of my AMEs cataloguing scars during my past 50 years of physicals.

And I agree with a previous posting of re-doing your MedExpress and providing the NEW confirmation number (and get rid of the old one).

Word of mouth from other pilots.
Dr. Bruce has also said as much, that the FAA's interest in scars and tats is primarily for ID purposes. BUT... they are also supposed to screen for as-yet undiagnosed and possibly DQing conditions. In the wake of Germanwings, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see greater emphasis on signs of possible mental health issues.
If you think this requires a "difficult case" AME.....
It may or may not. We simply don't know, none of us. The OP needs more INFORMATION and he isn't going to get it here.

What he needs is a good AME who can give him that info, outside the context of a flight physical.

The OP needs more INFORMATION and he isn't going to get it here.

What he needs is a good AME who can give him that info, outside the context of a flight physical.

Agree completely.

You never really know. Besides, the OP sounds like he is planning a career as a pilot. Do you think that it is reasonable to say that he will never need to take off his shirt? What about when he gets an EKG at 35?

The only pilots who NEED to take their shirts off are actually dude strippers or star in Top Gun...

You can run the leads for a EKG just fine with a shirt on, also after having a medical for all that time, no one is going to ask about old scars after a decade of medicals.

Then you got lucky and found a pencil whipping AME. Scars are one of the things the FAA requires the AME to document.

No, I just have never had have a busy body AME, I've also never dropped my pants for a AME, or any of the other weird (slightly homo erotic) stuff I've read here that some of your AMEs are doing.

It's really a simple physical unless someone doesn't want it to be.

Thank you for that. This is what I'm worried about:

"Unless otherwise directed by the FAA, the Examiner must deny or defer if the applicant has a history of: (10) Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts;"

Not sure if these scars would be indicative of that. I'm pretty sure someone's kinky-ness in the bedroom isn't grounds for a personality disorder, but again, I'm just worried the doc will refuse to sign my medical certificate due to him not believing the truth. I'm actually not sure if a doctor can do that.

"Unless otherwise directed by the FAA, the Examiner must deny or defer if the applicant has a history of: (10) Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts;"

Not sure if these scars would be indicative of that. I'm pretty sure someone's kinky-ness in the bedroom isn't grounds for a personality disorder, but again, I'm just worried the doc will refuse to sign my medical certificate due to him not believing the truth. I'm actually not sure if a doctor can do that.

Look, were you trying to kill yourself, if the answer is no, and there is no record that you've have ever seen a shrink, or been on any meds that would make someone think otherwise, and you show up to the physical acting like a normal happy person, then...

I thought you said you cut yourself on a broken window as a kid?

And 5 bucks says with a long sleeve shirt it never even comes up :yes:

Fill out a new application on med express and carry on.

Last edited:
The AME is supposed to note "Identifying body marks, scars, and tattoos (size and location) and tick the "normal" or "abnormal" box. ...

I was asked about scars & tattoos at my last exam.

First time in the 10 years I've been flying. Third AME I've used; first visit.

Found it odd, but now I know. Thanks.

Like I said, tell him it was the basis of getting laid. That's stupid, but not a personality disorder.

The only pilots who NEED to take their shirts off are actually dude strippers or star in Top Gun...

You can run the leads for a EKG just fine with a shirt on, also after having a medical for all that time, no one is going to ask about old scars after a decade of medicals.
I've had numerous EKGs (I'm well over 35) and they have exchanged my shirt for a hospital gown for each one. I think if you demanded to leave your shirt on they would think you were hiding something.

And thank you to Matthew for linking to the AME guide. If you use the search feature and look for "scars" you'll see that they can certainly ask questions about them.

No, I just have never had have a busy body AME, I've also never dropped my pants for a AME, or any of the other weird (slightly homo erotic) stuff I've read here that some of your AMEs are doing.

It's really a simple physical unless someone doesn't want it to be.

Exactly. Its no different than courtroom testimony. If at any point in this chain he/she stops asking after your answer, you're done. Never volunteer info, wait to be asked.

AME:Do you have any scars?
You: yes.
AME: Where?
You: On my arm.
AME: Can you show me so I can document them?
You: yes (showing).
If they AME asks what they are from, then answer. Otherwise, no issues. Even if he/she asks, your reason, in my opinion, sounds legit since it would be a wierd thing to make up. Like (I believe it was Henning) said, guys have done all sorts of stuff for tail, ranging from wierd to illegal and everything in between. Absent supporting evidence that you were a "cutter" and/or depressed/suicidal, I think you are worrying too much about what they "might think."

The best example of simple answers I can give came from a demonstration that a prosecutor did with me when I was concerned about being wordy in my testimony. He asked me "do you know the time?" I answered yes, looked at my watch and gave him the time. He then pointed out that he hadn't ansed what time it was or whether I could give it to him. He had only asked if I knew it. The answer should have been "yes" as opposed to "yes, one second...it's 11:30." I thought it explained the notion of simple honest answers well.

I've had numerous EKGs (I'm well over 35) and they have exchanged my shirt for a hospital gown for each one. I think if you demanded to leave your shirt on they would think you were hiding something.

And thank you to Matthew for linking to the AME guide. If you use the search feature and look for "scars" you'll see that they can certainly ask questions about them.

Were these in a ED or something?

It's not required, if I went in for one (I'm not airlines so I don't see it happening) I'll unbutton my dress shirt and they can place the leads, if they can't do that they probably aren't qualified to use, place or read the EKG, I also don't have time to play hospital dress up, times money, place the leads, get your reading, move on.

I've seen TONs of EKGs placed and you don't need to take your shirt off and change into a damn gown lol.

Besides read the rest of my post, after a decade or so of medicals, no one is going to be asking about, or care about, old scars.

Also as a working pilot he will probably not be using quack busy body AMEs

Exactly. Its no different than courtroom testimony. If at any point in this chain he/she stops asking after your answer, you're done. Never volunteer info, wait to be asked.

AME:Do you have any scars?
You: yes.
AME: Where?
You: On my arm.
AME: Can you show me so I can document them?
You: yes (showing).
If they AME asks what they are from, then answer. Otherwise, no issues. Even if he/she asks, your reason, in my opinion, sounds legit since it would be a wierd thing to make up. Like (I believe it was Henning) said, guys have done all sorts of stuff for tail, ranging from wierd to illegal and everything in between. Absent supporting evidence that you were a "cutter" and/or depressed/suicidal, I think you are worrying too much about what they "might think."

The best example of simple answers I can give came from a demonstration that a prosecutor did with me when I was concerned about being wordy in my testimony. He asked me "do you know the time?" I answered yes, looked at my watch and gave him the time. He then pointed out that he hadn't ansed what time it was or whether I could give it to him. He had only asked if I knew it. The answer should have been "yes" as opposed to "yes, one second...it's 11:30." I thought it explained the notion of simple honest answers well.

Yup.

And 5 bucks says it never even comes up.

Last edited:
If you don't take your shirt off you could be hiding a pacemaker scar. That finally grounded a guy I know.

That would be below your left shoulder( most times) how would one get the leads on and not notice that? Plus not many folks pay cash and provide false info for a pacemaker implant, I'd wager that info would be on record anyways.

Still, I'm not planning to stay around long enough to have a desire to change clothes, place the leads and get on with it, now I'm not going to wear a compression under armor shirt, but I shouldn't have to do anything more than life up my polo, tshirt or unbutton a dress shirt, if a AME wants to reach and refuse my medical over assumptions, that's a whole nother situation.

Were these in a ED or something?

No, they were in the AME's office.

As far as old scars go, the one I'm talking about on my shin was anywhere from 10-15 year old at the time someone asked about it. I have only been asked about it once that I can remember. But now it's totally disappeared. It wasn't all that noticeable to begin with which is why I was surprised I got the question.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back