Question on sectional

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
Was looking at a sectional around Evansville, KY and saw "VFR use only" just below the FSS box. Can any one please elaborate on what that message may be for? I consulted the internet without finding anything to include the FAA chart symbol guide.

Attached is the part I am referring to.

David

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 133
Wondering if it is a VFR check point. Looks to be pointing at the river or towers.

David

Was looking at a sectional around Evansville, KY and saw "VFR use only" just below the FSS box. Can any one please elaborate on what that message may be for? I consulted the internet without finding anything to include the FAA chart symbol guide.

Attached is the part I am referring to.

David

Wondering if it is a VFR check point. Looks to be pointing at the river or towers.

David

Nope. It's referring to the PDW NDB, which is for VFR use only. Don't file IFR with it in your route.

I had thought of that but dismissed that thought. Interesting. Thanks!

David

It's probably a state or locally maintained NDB that had been decommissioned by the FAA for use on an approach. Since it's no longer flight checked, it can't be used for IFR purposes. I guess it's handy for finding the field if you don't have a GPS.

Yeah, the NDB at VKX used to have a similar notation. The thing was dubious even for VFR use.

The AF/D data entry for Evansville (EVV) lists the NDB (PDW) as VFR only and unmonitored when the control tower is closed. The next line lists "NDB OTS"

The VICCI (EV) LOM is not charted, NE of the airport and has an NDB Rwy22 approach.

Just to clarify: the note refers to the PDW NDB due to its color and location under the NDB ID tag.
If in doubt, follow the color on the chart.

You may also find that evansville is in indiana and not kentucky at all.....
Frank

You may also find that evansville is in indiana and not kentucky at all.....
Frank

The sectional does not care! Even though I may have called it KY instead of IN. Oh well. Crap happens!

David

Back