Question of the day!

Twin_Flyer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Twin_Flyer
For those of you that are married or in relationships of any kind. Do tell your SO every time you’re going flying? This has become an issue in my space so I would like to get opinions.

Yep. And a lot of times like @donjohnston I'll text her when I'm about to go up and text here when I land.

Last edited:
Yep, and let her know when I am back, as I usually loiter around the airport after I land exchanging lies with other pilots for awhile.

I do the text before takeoff and text upon landing thing too. And she knows about it before the texts as well.

For those of you that are married or in relationships of any kind. Do tell your SO every time you’re going flying? This has become an issue in my space so I would like to get opinions.

No. But I do tell her I'm going flying sometimes when I'm going to be doing something else I don't want her to know about. That ain't true, just the first punchline that popped into my head. Yes I do. Nothing particularly special about flying. We just let each other know where we are. We're married.

Ditto... in addition I add the airport identifier as well. OTG ACK tells her I am in Nantucket, for example. -Skip

I only include the identifier if I'm going somewhere. Most of my flights lately have been to/from our home field. She also gets alerts from flightaware whenever the plane pops up on the system.

Married, so yes. We let each other know where we are.

If this is an issue when dating, it will get worse when living together or married, especially if kids become involved.

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

yup. married 48-yrs, wife totally supportive. text her before T/O and after landing.

Oh Hell Yes, I've been married 50 years plan on staying that way. We keep each other informed about where we are and what we are doing.
" Honey, I'm going flying, OK see ya, I'm going shopping."

Married, so yes. We let each other know where we are.
If this is an issue when dating, it will get worse when living together or married, especially if kids become involved.

Roger that. We used to use Latitude. But when Google killed that, we switched to Life360. Makes things so much easier.

I do, since most of the time she is with me anyway. If I’m going solo I’ll text her at launch and landing.

Yes. Text when on ground. If cross country, give ETA of next stop. Pad by 30 min.

...because she did get "that call" from the hospital chaplain the day her father crashed.

She knows when I go fly. Also I test 123 before takeoff and 321 after landing. Two people acting independently is not a relationship.

I don’t need to... if my wife isn’t going with me then she can see & hear me (start up, taxi out and take off, land) right from our house. :)

I do. I generally text her when I get back... "On the ground, did not die."

I let her know when I'm going flying (which days, where, what for, etc.). When a friend crashed renewing his aerobatic cert, she started asking me to text her when I land. If I'm traveling without her (uncommon), it's always on flightaware. Even then, she wants to know I've landed.

Always in the loop. Safety thing, plus she never complains when the checkbook gets hammered with MX.

Generally yes, and used to text/call upon landing. Been flying enough lately that it is just something I do. She usually knows when I am going somewhere, but don’t text after landing. occasionally a quick trip comes up and I tell her when she asks about my day. Been married 20 years and it works for us.

It's fairly obvious what I am doing when my flight bag, gym bag, or bicycle is missing.

I don’t need to... if my wife isn’t going with me then she can see & hear me (start up, taxi out and take off, land) right from our house. :)

Wow... she must have good eyes and ears. :D

Or do you never fly anywhere else?

When I fly I am flying for a living, so no. I'll just send a text saying I am on my way home from the airport.

My wife always knows my flight schedule before I leave the house and since I’m always IFR there’s never a doubt where I am. But even then I will typically send the text before takeoff and then once on the ground. I say typically because my trips are pretty busy and sometimes I forget, but FlightAware keeps her informed if I do.

I usually text saying safe back at the airport.

No I don't. Hence the reason I wear an ankle transponder that only she can program. Hey y'all asked. :D

What’s that famous aviation axiom?

Oh yeah, I remember.

Communicate - Aviate - Communicate

Well, that’s how I do it.

Yep.

Me - I'm going flying.
Her - Okay, don't crash.

Her - I'm going riding. (horseback)
Me - Don't fall off and hit your head on a rock.

Text when back on the ground.

Not all the time. I'm pretty sure she assumes if it's outside of working hours and I'm not at the house, I'm flying. But if I'm going to go make some overnight trip somewhere I will text you when I take off and when I land. And I also text my mom because she will let me know that she worries too LOL

Mrs. Steingar always knows when I’m going to go off and fly, and she gets a text or call if I scrub. I usually generally tell her the mission, I’m usually more specific if I’m going to meet up with a friend or relative. She gets a text or call when I arrive, a heads up when I plan to come home, and a call when I arrive at my home base. My first cell phone (after much resistance) was acquired because Mrs. Steingar wanted to be able to ascertain that the shiny was indeed still up, and that I hadn’t self immolated in a fiery collision with Mother Earth. Seemed reasonable to me then and still does.

I was away at a class, with a Reserve unit, in the 80's, and a C-130 crashed. She didn't know one unit from another, and spent half a day hand wringing. So now she knows when I'm flying, and when I'm back down.

Always, also text when back on the ground.

My wife and I text back and forth throughout the day as our work allows, so we always know what the other will be up to just through normal conversation.

I was away at a class, with a Reserve unit, in the 80's, and a C-130 crashed. She didn't know one unit from another, and spent half a day hand wringing. So now she knows when I'm flying, and when I'm back down.

I will text or call when I hear of a crash in my area. My mom is not all that worrisome. The only time she saw me race I had a pretty bad crash. I got out and walked to the ambulance, so she doesn't really worry.

My wife doesn't worry much. She has total trust in me and what I do. She has been with me for a few off airport landings in Alaska and has seen that I can land a plane almost anywhere.

Yes. When departing and after returning. And I also put the app on her cell phone so she can track my location from my SPOT locator. For local flights and short cross countries, if she doesn't go, she will be one of my notification channels if something goes wrong.

Back