Question - future student

Pmcdn

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pmcdn
Hi all,

I'm gearing up and creating a budget to begin taking lessons to work on my private pilots license after the beginning of next year. I have done quite a bit of flying most of life with other pilots and am familiar with the cockpit and flight dynamics. I'm really looking forward to earning my own license to fly.

My question to all is this: what is the average time it took some of you to solo? Can you guys share your experiences about how long it took to solo, instructor hours, total hours to check ride, etc? I'd love to hear.

I am aware that it differs for each student, but I'd like to hear from some of you and how things went overall.

Thanks!

David

Hi all,

I'm gearing up and creating a budget to begin taking lessons to work on my private pilots license after the beginning of next year. I have done quite a bit of flying most of life with other pilots and am familiar with the cockpit and flight dynamics. I'm really looking forward to earning my own license to fly.

My question to all is this: what is the average time it took some of you to solo? Can you guys share your experiences about how long it took to solo, instructor hours, total hours to check ride, etc? I'd love to hear.

I am aware that it differs for each student, but I'd like to hear from some of you and how things went overall.

Thanks!

David

Why the obsession with hours to solo? The full training involves so much more than that benchmark. You only really need to reach solo to complete the day VFR xcountry flight. If it took you your entire training to get to solo it's better for you...that way you can get solid with the CFI in the cockpit with you.

If you get hung up on when the CFI gets out and cuts your shirt, you will miss out on the fun of the training.

And don't forget, the ground school part is more than half the work.

I would recommend using 40 hrs dual and 20 hrs of solo as a benchmark, + written, + ground, + books materials and checkride

Welcome to PoA.

Best thing is to not focus or stress on your question... It is too big of a variable and there is not correct answer. Just study the books, find a good instructor (don't be afraid to change if it isn't a good fit), pay attention to what he teaches, practice practice practice, fly at least twice a week, study the books for the written, get your medical out of the way early, don't lie on the forms, don't get stupid and do a DUI or get caught with drugs, study well for the oral exam, practice practice practice for the practical, schedule with the DPE, ace the oral, ace the practical, join the league of temporary airmen, go out on a flying vacation.

But to answer your intended question...

Logged time to solo: 27-29 hours
Checkride: 58 Hours
Time to decide to get out and start training, 30 years.

Why the obsession with hours to solo? The full training involves so much more than that benchmark.
If you get hung up on when the CFI gets out and cuts your shirt, you will miss out on the fun of the training.

And don't forget, the ground school part is more than half the work.
:yes:. I think I soloed in 10ish hours but it really doesn't matter. To me, the experience being alone, operating, and being pilot in command far outweighs the numerical value put on the solo. It was definitely an unforgettable day. As for total time until your license, you're looking at 60-70 hours. Many people do not take their rides right at 40 hours. I think I did mine at 75 hours. My instructor was a ~5000 hour ATP with most of the time giving dual. Budget out at least $10,000 and have the money beforehand.

Last edited:
It takes as long as it takes. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. If you are driven by financial concerns about your training, best to hang it up. The expenses only increase.

I know that's not what you were looking for, but that truly is the best advice I can give. Sorry.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks!

David

While I truly understand why you want a number like that for a budget, the truth isn't very pleasant.

It varies all over the place.

A very rough rule of thumb is to double your age in years, to get the time to check ride in hours. But you can make it arbitrarily long with instructor switches, gaps in training, and even weather, mechanical issues, or other stuff beyond your control (say, your instructor has a medical event and loses his medical -- I've seen that happen).

Even the very same lesson can take 2 hours with six others in the pattern on a nice weekend day, or 1 hour at 6 AM with the pattern all to yourself.

I was told 15 hours to solo, 50-60 to complete Training and that it would run $8000 - $12000 in costs. So far I solo'd at around 15 hours, Have 25 hours now and have spent $3500 on CFI & Rental Fees. Doesn't include all the other stuff like Headsets, Bag, charts, plotter, fuel tester ect.. Do with that information what you wish.

The entire process is a blast!

Thanks. All good info.

Just to clarify, I am NOT obsessing on the solo flight, or any one portion of the training experience for that matter. I am just interested in hearing some of you share your experiences with me.

I am thinking about the financial side of this, and I am already figuring it to be around the 10K mark and more as I go. I am not interested in pursuing a career in flying, just want to learn for my own interests.

Thanks. All good info.

Just to clarify, I am NOT obsessing on the solo flight, or any one portion of the training experience for that matter. I am just interested in hearing some of you share your experiences with me.

I am thinking about the financial side of this, and I am already figuring it to be around the 10K mark and more as I go. I am not interested in pursuing a career in flying, just want to learn for my own interests.
$10,000 is a good number. I suggest you have the ALL the money ready when you start training. If you don't, you'll end up paying more for training. It's kinda like one step forward and two steps back.

$10,000 is a good number. I suggest you have the ALL the money ready when you start training. If you don't, you'll end up paying more for training. It's kinda like one step forward and two steps back.

This seems about where I am heading. It took me 25 to solo, but landings (like many other people) took me the longest to learn. The other maneuvers, navigation, and take offs on the other hand have come to me very quickly. I went from solo at 25 hours to solo xc at 37 hours. So for me things feel like they have accelerated once I got to that first solo loop around the pattern.

Everyone is different

Out of quite a few people I trained;
Solo in 10-15hrs (over 20 was VERY rare)
License in about 60hrs total time.

Make sure you fly at least twice a week

Just to clarify, I am NOT obsessing on the solo flight.

Don't take it personal. All threads that mention SOLO and TIME in the same sentence get a swarm of similar posts.

Once you solo it's important to use the following hours practicing. Not just flying the pattern. Plan on flying twice a week.

Thanks. All good info.

For some reason the strange idea seems to be bubbling out there that soloing is some kind of waypoint, benchmark, or indication of how long it will take to do the whole training.

Soloing has nothing to do with PTS, or being successful ultimately in the checkride. You only need to solo to get the solo xcountry part done. All the rest is dual training. And the checkride is dual.

When you take that plane up by yourself YOU and YOU alone have to do it all. You have to watch for other aircraft, do all the radio work without help, navigate, aviate, and be ready to deal with emergencies. You will no longer be able to concentrate on technique or rough edges. You will fill up with just staying ahead of the aircraft until you get so used to flying that much of that starts to become muscle memory.

So, soloing early is a loser. You want to take advantage of having the CFI there so you can concentrate and limit your focus to just what you are doing and not worry as much about being the sole set of eyes on the sky, and being ready to deal with an engine out.

Good for you for making a budget ahead of time! My wife and I are total budget nerds, too. It's a blessing and a curse :)

To answer your question, my first solo is scheduled for tomorrow with 25 hours in the logbook. That's with a conservative instructor and VERY rocky start due to motion sickness. It slowed down my landing progress big-time.

Make sure you pile up cash before you start the training. I don't know if it has to be $10-12k up front, but enough that you know money won't be the determining factor for your training schedule. The higher your disposable monthly income (that can be put toward training) the lower your cash pile will have to be. And the lower your disposable income, the bigger your cash pile will need to be.

Intentionally add some padding to overestimate what it will cost you. If it ends up costing more than you expect, you'll be ready. And if it ends up costing less, you'll have more money left over in the budget to spend on airplane toys! I'm hoping to squeeze in a nice Bose headset or a new iPad with Foreflight somehow.

As you shop around for CFIs, they should be able to give you a good breakdown of what it's likely to cost you, saying, "Here's the average. You may be more. You may be less." And you should plan for a bit more than the high number to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't choose the CFI based on whoever gives you the low-ball estimate, though. I assume you know that.

Good luck with your training! It'll be expensive, but it'll be rewarding.

13 hours to solo
1300 hour instructor
55ish hours til checkride
All total cost around $8k with books, headsets, fees, medical blah blah blah. This was in 2012

Enjoy it, its a fun and expensive journey. Fly often and dont worry about hours, your gonna pay to fly regardless so whether its 40 or 80 hours just keep the checks writing and the left seat occupied.

I think that's swinging a bit too far the other way.

"soloing early is a loser" ??? I think it's kind of arbitrary and will depend on the student, the instructor, and the local flying environment. I don't think it's any more accurate to say soloing early is bad than it is to say soloing early is good.

Also, I believe there is something to be gained flying solo at times other than the solo cross countries. Do people really show up for their checkride with their only solo hours being the required ones?

For some reason the strange idea seems to be bubbling out there that soloing is some kind of waypoint, benchmark, or indication of how long it will take to do the whole training.

Soloing has nothing to do with PTS, or being successful ultimately in the checkride. You only need to solo to get the solo xcountry part done. All the rest is dual training. And the checkride is dual.

So, soloing early is a loser. You want to take advantage of having the CFI there so you can concentrate and limit your focus to just what you are doing and not worry as much about being the sole set of eyes on the sky, and being ready to deal with an engine out.

This is also really important. Once a week doesn't cut it.

I think this should be taken with a grain of salt. I fly once a week. I soloed in under 20 hours, and I am on track to get my license in under one year of training. If you are a diligent student, and you try hard, once a week is not so terrible at all.

When you take that plane up by yourself YOU and YOU alone have to do it all. You have to watch for other aircraft, do all the radio work without help, navigate, aviate, and be ready to deal with emergencies. You will no longer be able to concentrate on technique or rough edges. You will fill up with just staying ahead of the aircraft until you get so used to flying that much of that starts to become muscle memory.

:no:

Few points in there aren't totally factual

One, a student that has a good feel for the plane and solos easily will often get done sooner compared to someone who struggles. That's just common sense.

Two, before your solo you SHOULD be doing all the radios, lookout, etc yourself. If this isn't the case pre-solo your CFI has gravely failed you.

Three, your check ride ISNT considered dual

Four, soloing early isn't a looser, and you should be worried about engine failures plans, and keeping an eye out for traffic form day friggin one!
If you're using your CFI as a crutch or thinking "it's OK he's here" you're ripping yourself off, and not mentally ready to be PIC.

:no:

Few points in there aren't totally factual

One, a student that has a good feel for the plane and solos easily will often get done sooner compared to someone who struggles. That's just common sense.

Two, before your solo you SHOULD be doing all the radios, lookout, etc yourself. If this isn't the case pre-solo your CFI has gravely failed you.

Three, your check ride ISNT considered dual

Four, soloing early isn't a looser, and you should be worried about engine failures plans, and keeping an eye out for traffic form day friggin one!
If you're using your CFI as a crutch or thinking "it's OK he's here" you're ripping yourself off, and not mentally ready to be PIC.

You missed the point:

1. the subject is not this guys coordination, intelligence or lack of fear...it's his assumption that soloing is a goal or benchmark, and his larger question about how to best prepare for, and what to emphasize on his training. Soloing should not be on anyone's list when starting training.

2. when he is alone in the plane, he will be at higher risk to himself and others in the air. And he will be more dangerously overwhelmed because he will be solely and utterly responsible for avoiding a mid air and for dealing with a real engine out. getting solid in all aspects of flying should be his emphasis before he takes those chances.

3. your checkride IS dual. there are two pilots in the plane. one logs PIC, but there are TWO pilots in the plane, one junior (him), the other senior (the CFI). the dual controls are not virtual, they are real.

4. soloing early is a loser for the reasons given in #2 above. why increase your risk when you are just learning? it's a foolish idea.

Again, the ONLY reason one needs to be alone in the plane during training and pre checkride is to do the solo xcountry. there should be no hurry to get there.

Some are under the utterly mistaken assumption that soloing with few hours under their belt is some kind of indication of being a better pilot. that is a dangerous idea and gets in the way of the more important lesson that should be learned - that piloting a plane is about lowering risk, and anticipating the worst.

Last edited:
You missed the point:

1. the subject is not this guys coordination, intelligence or lack of fear...it's his assumption that soloing is a goal or benchmark, and his larger question about how to best prepare for, and what to emphasize on his training. Soloing should not be on anyone's list when starting training.

2. when he is alone in the plane, he will be at higher risk, and he will be more dangerously overwhelmed because he will be solely and utterly responsible for avoiding a mid air and for dealing with a real engine out. getting solid in all aspects of flying should be his emphasis before he takes those chances.

3. your checkride IS dual. there are two pilots in the plane. one logs PIC, but there are TWO pilots in the plane, one junior (him), the other senior (the CFI). the dual controls are not virtual, they are real.

4. soloing early is a loser for the reasons given in #2 above. why increase your risk when you are just learning? it's a foolish idea.

Again, the ONLY reason one needs to be alone in the plane during training and pre checkride is to do the solo xcountry. there should be no hurry to get there.

Are you a CFI?

If one is that concerned with risk, perhaps flying isn't for them, after the check ride you'll be on your own as well .

Soloing early, though it isn't a end all be all, the earlier you can demonstrate the skills and judgement to make your CFI feel confident to let you go solo, well that's a good thing all day long.

As I stated earlier, you solo when you solo. It's based off demonstrated abilities, wether the student is in a rush or not does not change anything for me as the endorsing instructor.

Also I like to have my students go fly solo when they please after there soloed out, I'd rather they be comfortable as PIC prior to their ride. Typically I have them call me prior to any solo flights, I just have them tell me what there going to do, brief me on the weather and notams, etc. I just listen and verify all is accurate and correct, if there're any errors we discuss.

And the check ride is NOT dual, it's not instruction, the FAA is very clear on that point, the person sitting next to you may be a CFI but he didn't log into IACRA as an instructor nor is he acting in that capacity, he is a DPE, he isn't there to teach.

"Dual" is a term used when discussing the logging of time when receiving instruction, you're also not dual when your non-pilot girlfriend is sitting right seat ether.

Last edited:
I think this should be taken with a grain of salt. I fly once a week. I soloed in under 20 hours, and I am on track to get my license in under one year of training. If you are a diligent student, and you try hard, once a week is not so terrible at all.
It all depends on the student but I'd say most students who fly once a week won't cut it.

I would tend to agree here being a once per week student. I soled at 25, xc at 37, and have had a few bad weather stretches where I went 3 weeks no flying. I am on target to finish in just over 1 year, and in the 50 to 55 hour range. Would it have been better to be twice weekly, yes, but only going once per week is not stopping me from getting it done. I have personally had some of my best days when I have not flown for two weeks. Go figure.

Think saying somebody won't cut it if they can't be twice weekly is a little harsh. People have different commitments and different paths to getting their PPL. I know there are many successful private pilots that have taken longer times, or more sporadic paths then the magic at least twice per week. Is twice or more ideal, it likely is, but it does not grantee success, or exclude success if that does not work for an individual.

Last edited:
You only need to solo to get the solo xcountry part done. All the rest is dual training. And the checkride is dual.

This is not necessarily true (although I agree with the whole "solo hours don't matter").
10 hours of solo time are required, of which only 5 need to be x-country.
There's nothing keeping you from doing all 10 solo hours as x-country, but I think most people spend some solo time practicing maneuvers and polishing landings (I know I did).

Let me first off say that flight training is FUN! i first soloed at 14.4 hours. did all the pre solo maneuvers, power on, power off stalls, steep turns, slow flight, and of course some emergency procedures. instructor hours around 25 or so give or take. Total hours before check ride, i was right around 55. Biggest thing is, stick with it and make as much time as you can toward your lessons. Train in the most reasonable aircraft. (Remember you don't need to train in a fast 4 seat aircraft) if you can fit in a 2 seat 152 go for it, you will save money! During training its not about speed its about hours, train in what fits you best. I also feel like its best to begin your training in a real small plane such as a 152, because they take a little more finesse to fly in some sense. What i mean is going from a less stable aircraft during your training to transitioning to a larger more stable aircraft. Good luck and most of all be safe and have fun!

I did my solo flight at 25. I think it depends so much on the variables. In my scenario, I fly out of a relatively busy GA airport with lots of training and jet operations. Very close to SFO class B and busy airports close by. I ended up doing my solo at 25 hours mostly because winds were usually 15 knots or greater for half of those hours which made my CFI uncomfortable given he hadn't seen very many calm wind landings.

Another thing to remember is that while you might learn your maneuvers quickly and figure out how to fly the plane, the CFI will be most interested to see your decision making; when you choose to go around, when you are consistently safe. Then they will let you solo.

Try to fly as regularly as possible to avoid having to review material after a short stop. Also, try to do it when you have lots of time available. The more consistent and dedicated you are daily to your learning, the faster you'll learn and the more solid your foundation will be.

It doesn't really matter where you solo between 10-25 hrs, you're still on schedule for 40. If you just remember to always trim (pitch) for airspeed and use the throttle to control rate of descent, you'll do fine. Trim, trim, trim, the secret is to always be in trim for every desired change in speed, never fight the yoke, never hold pressure for more than 10 seconds before you trim.

Last edited:
Back