Chris Mixon
Pre-takeoff checklist
- Joined
- Oct 27, 2022
- Messages
- 105
- Display Name
- Chris Mixon
- Home Airfield
- KIYA
I live in the deep south, near the Gulf, so big winds are not a regular thing. Thursday, I took a flight up to Clairmoore, OK,(KGCM) to help some friends look at a plane and ran into what were, for me, big crosswinds. Clairmoore has one runway: 18/36, and the folks there at the airport tell me that this works most of the year.
When we got there, the winds were from 260 at 20kts, gusting 30, which gave us a 90-degree x-wind component. We discussed it en route and decided to give it a try. We discussed the approach at length and decided that if I could not track the centerline at the 500-foot mark and remain stable, we would just abandon the approach and head over to Tulsa, which has a runway 26, and just get a rental car.
It turned out to be no big deal. Crabbed about 25 degrees into the wind, almost all the way to the ground, and then got the right wheel on first, no problem. Just had to carry a little more speed since Commanders are known to run out of rudder as they slow down, and kept the flaps at 10 degrees.
So here's the question for those of y'all that fly in these kinds of winds. Would this be a cause for concern while briefing your approach, or is it just Thursday for y'all?
When we got there, the winds were from 260 at 20kts, gusting 30, which gave us a 90-degree x-wind component. We discussed it en route and decided to give it a try. We discussed the approach at length and decided that if I could not track the centerline at the 500-foot mark and remain stable, we would just abandon the approach and head over to Tulsa, which has a runway 26, and just get a rental car.
It turned out to be no big deal. Crabbed about 25 degrees into the wind, almost all the way to the ground, and then got the right wheel on first, no problem. Just had to carry a little more speed since Commanders are known to run out of rudder as they slow down, and kept the flaps at 10 degrees.
So here's the question for those of y'all that fly in these kinds of winds. Would this be a cause for concern while briefing your approach, or is it just Thursday for y'all?