Question for the controllers here about reusing file IFR flightplans

sixpacker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sixpacker
A couple of weeks ago I made plans to pick up a friend at 10 AM at another airport nearby (about 35 miles away) and to then fly elsewhere. I checked the weather and the pickup airport was VFR and the final destination about 150 nm distance was IFR so I filed an IFR plan from the pickup airport. I headed off to my hangar with the intention to do the short hop VFR.

It was perfectly unlimited ceilings at my home airport. I pulled my plane out, did the preflight, started it up and taxied to the runway. I usually recheck the weather at the destination on my iPad just before leaving but didn't this time since as mentioned I had blue skies with not a cloud visible. :redface: I took off and turned towards the pickup airport. Crapdammit, almost immediately I could see clouds in the direction of the pickup airport and they looked REALLY low like fog. I dialed up the ATIS frequency and there was a special METAR saying mist and 200 foot ceilings. :eek: I kicked myself for not rechecking the weather before I took off. This stuff had really just rolled in and was unexpected (it was not in the TAF either). I quickly pulled up my iPad and checked the approaches. It had an ILS with a 250 foot minimum. Hmmm... I had lots of fuel so I thought, heck let me try get in since I was picking up a friend there and there was beautiful clear weather behind me if it didn't work out. I was not on FF so I called up the appropriate approach frequency (this pickup airport is under a class B shelf). I explained that I was VFR intending to get into this airport that was now IFR and asked for a pop up clearance. The controller gave me a squawk and then told me I was radar contact then immediately gave me a new squawk. He didn't ask for any other information and cleared me to that pickup airport via vectors and asked what approach I wanted. I was surprised he was able to get me into the system so quickly and didn't ask for SOB or fuel or equipment etc. He only had my tail number. I later realized he must have just used my filed IFR plan from that airport.

He vectored me to the ILS and asked how I wanted to terminate it. I said I was going to land this mofo :lol: (Q1: is it acceptable to ask for an approach when you know the weather is below the minimum? I assumed yes as long as I go missed at the appropriate time. ???) I got established and was told to switch to tower. The tower controller immediately asked if I had the weather and did I realize the ceiling was at 200 ft? (The tone in his voice was surprised). I said yes but I'm going to try anyway. I descended down the glide slope and it was hard IMC no hint of the base anywhere close when I got to my minimum. So I went missed and told the tower and he said "duh!" :lol: Then told me to follow the published missed and gave me a different departure frequency to call. I then flew back to my home airport uneventfully. I called up my friend and we decided to postpone until the next day. When I checked on flightaware later, it showed that small flight path I had taken into the pickup airport, the missed approach and then my trip back to my home airport but all the rest of the details were for the trip that I had filed. In fact, flightaware actually showed me as still being in the air with my "approximate position" almost halfway to the filed destination airport I didn't even start to fly towards.

So my second question is, did the approach controller just bring up my other IFR flight plan and activate it? Is this why I was given a second squawk? If I had landed would the tower just have suspended it then reactivated it when I left again? I know these are probably unimportant behind-the-scenes type details but I'm just curious about how the system works.

Last edited:
(Q1: is it acceptable to ask for an approach when you know the weather is below the minimum? I assumed yes as long as I go missed at the appropriate time. ???)
So my second question is, did the approach controller just bring up my other IFR flight plan and activate it? Is this why I was given a second squawk? If I had landed would the tower just have suspended it then reactivated it when I left again? I know these are probably unimportant behind-the-scenes type details but I'm just curious about how the system works.
Q1: Part 91 can fly any approach he and the plane are qualified for regardless of weather.
Part 91 may also depart legally in zero zero conditions.

Q2: Just a guess, but likely you were just a pop-up clearance.

(Q1: is it acceptable to ask for an approach when you know the weather is below the minimum? I assumed yes as long as I go missed at the appropriate time. ???)
You assumed correctly, as long as you were plain Part 91, not 135 or 121 or something like that.

So my second question is, did the approach controller just bring up my other IFR flight plan and activate it?
No. They can't use your outbound clearance on an inbound flight.

Is this why I was given a second squawk?
The first squawk probably came from a block reserved for VFR flight following, and when they shifted you to IFR, the computer spit out a new code with the IFR strip.

If I had landed would the tower just have suspended it then reactivated it when I left again?
Unlikely to get a "through clearance" in that situation. More likely they would have just pulled up your strip for the next leg generated by your filed flight plan and a new squawk would have been part of the clearance they gave you on the ground there before launching again.

Yep, no problem shooting the approach in your situation. We had the same rule in the Army. 135, 121 is a different story.

If you look up the definition of Abreviated IFR Flight Plan, you'll see that's what the controller gave you. It's commonly called a "pop up IFR."

Your filed flight plan will show up in the computer usually 30 minutes prior to departure. Since your inbound is only something the controller wrote on a strip and assigned a local code, your departure code will be different.

Last edited:
I got a pop up IFR the other day and on flightaware they had me filed from some crazy airport 100 miles away to my destination. I thought it was odd, but figure they just put something in the block to get it going. :)

Yep, no problem shooting the approach in your situation. We had the same rule in the Army. 135, 121 is a different story.

If you look up the definition of Abreviated IFR Flight Plan, you'll see that's what the controller gave you. It's commonly called a "pop up IFR."

Your filed flight plan will show up in the computer usually 30 minutes prior to departure. Since your inbound is only something the controller wrote on a strip and assigned a local code, your departure code will be different.

I was attempting to arrive at that airport right about the time of my filed scheduled departure. Flightaware showed that plan I had filed (including the full clearance) as being activated so to me it is clear that the approach controller simply "took over" the IFR plan that I already had in the system. There can be no other explanation because while else would flightaware have shown that filed plan as being activated?

What has happened with me is that when having a clearance to a distant airport and chosing to make a stop (bathroom break), they've held my IFR clearance open (essentially a through clearance) for the duration of my ground stop. Of course this was out in southern Ohio or Indiana and I suspect that wouldn't happen in he NE.

Out there when I'm getting flight following I can ask "looks like it's getting cloudy ahead, can I have IFR at 6000" which comes back with "Cleared direct to Culpeper at 6000." where as in the NE I get routed to FSS and my eventual clearance involves a right turn to my route of flight and all sorts of other slips and jogs.

I was attempting to arrive at that airport right about the time of my filed scheduled departure. Flightaware showed that plan I had filed (including the full clearance) as being activated so to me it is clear that the approach controller simply "took over" the IFR plan that I already had in the system. There can be no other explanation because while else would flightaware have shown that filed plan as being activated?

I know. That's why you went from a local code to your departure code. The only problem with activating a departure too early is that it'll screw up times down the road. All the controller has to do though is when you're ready to depart they can amend your present position with the current time or do a hold message on your flight strip.

Last edited:
I know. That's why you went from a local code to your departure code. The only problem with activating a departure too early is that it'll screw up times down the road. All the controller has to do though is when you're ready to depart they can amend your present position with the current time or do a hold message on your flight strip.

Thanks for the info that makes sense.

Back