Question for the CFI Log Book Entry

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
In a log book, does an instructor need to sign each entry where they gave instruction, or can they just sign a page as a blanket to all the entries on that page?

Never heard this one. I don't think there is an "official" answer. Given what the two applicable regulations actually say, the convention is to endorse each lesson, and FWIW, I think it's the better practice. As a certificate or rating trainee, I would not accept anything else. What if the CFI leaves suddenly before the page is complete?

A page of a logbook can contain not just a CFI's lessons, but also (say) some solo flights, a random helicopter lesson, and a trip to Las Vegas and back... The CFI can't testify to all of those things having happened. Just their own dual given.
So signing each lesson is the only option that makes any sense.

In a log book, does an instructor need to sign each entry where they gave instruction, or can they just sign a page as a blanket to all the entries on that page?

I log ground instruction with numerous dates, topics and one signature. I don’t do that with flight instruction.

As long as it’s clear what’s what, I’d think it’s all good.

Having been deposed after a pilot to whom I had given a private checkride had an accident, I can tell you that when push comes to shove the lawyers want each maneuver and operation described in detail for each flight. If it is not logged properly it did not happen, in a lawyer's eyes.

Bob Gardner

Back