Question for ForeFlight/Stratus users

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
What "right column" Map Mode features do you have checked off as your default in flight? Why?
FFMapMode.gif

Just TFR's. I'll display others as I see the need to avoid crowding the map.

TFRs only. I don't have data enabled for the iPad, so even TFRs only show when there is a wifi connection. i don't enable terrain because if I'm VFR, then I can see the terrain. If I'm IFR, then being at the proper altitude will keep me clear of hazards.

I think terrain is somewhat useful as a planning tool in the mountains (i.e. making it easier to identify box canyons) but not so much in flight.

TFRs only. I don't have data enabled for the iPad, so even TFRs only show when there is a wifi connection. i don't enable terrain because if I'm VFR, then I can see the terrain. If I'm IFR, then being at the proper altitude will keep me clear of hazards.

He did mention with a Stratus, which would provide the data enroute. I am about to pull the trigger on a Stratus. Radar for Nexrad. Also flight rules will give you color coded quick reference to which airports are VFR or not. Ceilings can be useful, too, if you are trying to navigate under a layer and maybe get over some terrain. As Sac mention, you can turn them on and off pretty easily. I have XM now and like picking up METARS for my destination on longer trips.

Ah, why yes it did say Stratus. That reminds me, I need to scrape up the $800 or however much and get one. Once I have it, I'll probably use it for weather and winds, as well as updated TFRs.

Mark, I use exactly what you have checked while enroute. Nice to have the extra information available when need arises.

Doug, I didn't check those. The graphic is from the FF manual. Trying to decide what I want to check is the reason for this post. :)

Back