Question about medical deficiency

FlyBoyAndy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoyAndy
Does anyone have a ballpark time as to how long it takes the FAA to contact someone that has been issued a medical deficiency?

Does anyone have a ballpark time as to how long it takes the FAA to contact someone that has been issued a medical deficiency?
Not yet enough information supplied to provide a good answer.

How issued the medical deficiency? How does the FAA know about the deficiency? What deficiency are we talking about?

How issued the medical deficiency? How does the FAA know about the deficiency? What deficiency are we talking about?
And have you contacted the office in OKC?

Discovery time + processing time + notification time.

I didn't know that there were different levels of deficiency. I just assumed if the AME had a finding and did not issue the medical, that you would go through a process to show that the finding has either been resolved or that they place a limitation.

And have you contacted the office in OKC?

Yes, but the answer is that they have a backlog and could not give an answer. I was seeing if anyone has experienced this and could give a ballpark time frame. I wasn't sure if it was 2 weeks or 6 months.

Discovery time + processing time + notification time.

I would think that this is correct. Just seeking someone with experience.

I’m guessing this is for your initial medical. The answer is it depends. Only you and your AME know what the deficiency is right now.

Here’s a place to start for the process: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/

Now, you still have to wait your place in line for them to tell you what to do. If you think you have a difficult case, you should probably reach out to Dr Chien now, tell him the truth and do what he says.

@FlyBoyAndy ... so instead of issuing your medical certificat, the AME deferred your application to OKC?

Did he discuss with you the reason for the deferral?

This was a difficult one because the AME that I've used for 20 plus years had retired or sold his business and is no longer doing medicals. His practice was sold to an urgent care. I asked a fellow pilot and CFII that does my flight review who he uses and I made an appointment with him. I read reviews about him on the Internet and everything said that he has a poor bedside manner and one fellow pilot said he's"not user friendly". I've gone through many medicals for 33 years and they just seemed routine for me.

My last medical was the first time that I've been n medication for high blood pressure and the AME and I talked about it because my weight increased and he had thoughts that I may have sleep apnea. I talked with my family doctor and he said we can look at that. In the two years since my last medical, I was diagnosed with pre diabetes, so my doctor put me on medication for it. So when I filled out the online information for this medical, I indicated that I am taking medication for the pre diabetes and listed everything else that was the same as lat time. I did look up the medication for the pre diabetes and it looked to be an approved medication.

The medical starts approximately 45 minutes after the appointment. He has difficulty getting into the medical site because of a password issue (he called it his computer crashed). I'm an IT person so I take that tern to mean he's just having some issues that can resolved quickly. He starts with the blood pressure test an mine is always above 120/80, but within the FAA limits. However, he made it clear to me that my family doctor should work harder with me and that my weight is a big issue to him. I'm at 217 pound and 5'9" and I'm on a plan to lose and doing it. He then says you checked diabetes on the site and that wasn't there last time, wait a minute I have to go to the site and do more. He then continues the medical with sight exam and the rest of the testing. He then gets to checking my eyes and he shines the light in them for what seemed several minutes. He gets another instrument that he can't get to work and then ends the exam.

He then says I have three concerns... the blood pressure needs to be better controlled but is within limits. The FAA is going to need information about the diabetes and your last results from blood work. I may be seeing some AV Nicking in your eyes so you need to go to an ophthalmologist and get an 8550-7 completed with results. AND we need to get more information about the sleep apnea that the AME brought earlier. And I told him that I was being tested for it by an ENT.

This exam went bad from the beginning and snowballed from there. I'm confident that the FAA will be OK with all of the results for what he's asking for, but I'm not 100% that I know what he's asked for and told the FAA. Quite frankly I have to get just a little more courage to call the doctor and ask. The reviews about his bedside manner was accurate, but I have a strong personality that can handle it. He may tell me to wait and talk with the FAA because that is what he told me to do in the office. Hence, my initial question as to how long it takes.

I've seen medical posts in the past and usually scanned them because I've never had an issue and at 53 years old wasn't expecting this. I won't go to this guy again and it isn't because of this experience, it is that his office it sort of a circus (under staffed and looks to be overbooked), but he also told me he was too old to be doing what he's doing.

I'll be waiting for the FAA to contact me.

Anyone who has never had trouble, but will now answer yes to any question on the medical should follow this thread.

Welcome to the club of people for whom BasicMed was made. At this point your medical is in the system and you have a deferral. There's no recourse now but to see it through. I'm not a doctor, but I sometimes have useful information.

Apnea first - I'm confused at the doctor's assessment. Following the protocol at https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ices/aam/ame/guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/osa/ and https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/FAA OSA Flow Chart.pdf I arrive in box 3 (if I stretch it), which instructs him to issue if otherwise qualified. You're not otherwise qualified, but you're also not meeting the FAA's "gotcha" for OSA testing (Obstructive Sleep Apnea). Your BMI is 31 and your Type 2 diagnosis is pre-diabetes. So this should be a warning, but issuable?

Diabetes - the key test here is a part of the blood panel screening called A1C. The test is measuring your average blood glucose level by testing how much sugar adheres to red blood cells over time. Since red blood cells live for about 90 days, you get a reading of the past 3 months. Eat lots of sugar for 3 months and you can force this way up. Don't eat sugar and you can bring it down. You're looking for your A1C test to be below 6.5 to be in the pre-diabetes world. Because you reported medication - I presume metformin because that is the usual starting point - you're falling into the Type 2 category. https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ame/guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/diabetes_med/ is your guide. I suspect here you just need the worksheet filled in by your doctor and with a satisfactory report, you will be issued.

Simple fix, drop most sugar, including sugar sodas, from your diet. Lose the weight because fat cells have an impact on the removal of glucose from the bloodstream. Exercise. See, just like a doctor would say.

The eye thing - I'm not sure what that was, other than it sounds like the AME didn't know how to do use his equipment. For 8500-7 information starts at page https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...s_delegations/designee_types/ame/amcs/8500-7/, form at https://www.faa.gov/forms/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/185784. Apparently the AME should have given you instructions on what to do with the form.

Anyone who has never had trouble, but will now answer yes to any question on the medical should follow this thread.

Welcome to the club of people for whom BasicMed was made. At this point your medical is in the system and you have a deferral. There's no recourse now but to see it through. I'm not a doctor, but I sometimes have useful information.

Apnea first - I'm confused at the doctor's assessment. Following the protocol at https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ices/aam/ame/guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/osa/ and https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/FAA OSA Flow Chart.pdf I arrive in box 3 (if I stretch it), which instructs him to issue if otherwise qualified. You're not otherwise qualified, but you're also not meeting the FAA's "gotcha" for OSA testing (Obstructive Sleep Apnea). Your BMI is 31 and your Type 2 diagnosis is pre-diabetes. So this should be a warning, but issuable?

Diabetes - the key test here is a part of the blood panel screening called A1C. The test is measuring your average blood glucose level by testing how much sugar adheres to red blood cells over time. Since red blood cells live for about 90 days, you get a reading of the past 3 months. Eat lots of sugar for 3 months and you can force this way up. Don't eat sugar and you can bring it down. You're looking for your A1C test to be below 6.5 to be in the pre-diabetes world. Because you reported medication - I presume metformin because that is the usual starting point - you're falling into the Type 2 category. https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ame/guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/diabetes_med/ is your guide. I suspect here you just need the worksheet filled in by your doctor and with a satisfactory report, you will be issued.

Simple fix, drop most sugar, including sugar sodas, from your diet. Lose the weight because fat cells have an impact on the removal of glucose from the bloodstream. Exercise. See, just like a doctor would say.

The eye thing - I'm not sure what that was, other than it sounds like the AME didn't know how to do use his equipment. For 8500-7 information starts at page https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...s_delegations/designee_types/ame/amcs/8500-7/, form at https://www.faa.gov/forms/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/185784. Apparently the AME should have given you instructions on what to do with the form.

Thanks for the information. I really didn't expect this outcome and will work though this.

AMEs are now profiling for OSA. I have an OSA SI so I know that process, but the new AME screening I don't know a lot about. Did he give you instructions to get an OSA screening or did he just "recommend" it?

Wish I could help more. I would double check that the doctor deferred you, but I'm sure he did. At this point you have to wait for the FAA to do it's thing and send you back a letter with instructions on how to solve these things. I'll ask others to chime in with hints on how to expedite that - calling every other day, when you send them stuff, make sure that your information is on every other page, etc.

Not too early to approach your doctor about BasicMed. You have to clear this medical up first, but the next time you see him, I would go ahead and bring up BasicMed to see if it's an option for two years from now.

AMEs are now profiling for OSA. I have an OSA SI so I know that process, but the new AME screening I don't know a lot about. Did he give you instructions to get an OSA screening or did he just "recommend" it?

The AME that I was going to for years asked me two years ago as to why I was now on high blood pressure medication and I told him that I noticed that my blood pressure was high when I had an injury. I tested again and it was high, so I went to my family care doctor. My weight was up and we kept testing, so eventually I was placed on high blood pressure medicine. The AME and I had a great relationship and he really wanted me to have my doctor look into sleep apnea. A year and a half after, I get tested and there is a good case for me having it and getting a CPAP machine. I am working as hard as I can to reduce my weight and I have been moderately successful so far (not easy losing weight at 53). So the new AME said something when I brought it up. Not sure what he reported.

I'm in the medical field and the above sometimes translates to," I got this new OSA equipment, and you'd look GREAT giving it a test drive for $$$"

I'm in the medical field and the above sometimes translates to," I got this new OSA equipment, and you'd look GREAT giving it a test drive for $$$"
Yeah, I know.

But FAA is getting their AMEs involved in the screening. Started at least a year ago, maybe two. Maybe right after the OP got his last medical.

Here's what FAA says about it in their AME instructions:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ices/aam/ame/guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/osa/

>>>
AME Actions - On every exam, the Examiner must triage the applicant into one of 6 groups:
<<<

My take on it was that my blood pressure wasn't perfect, the introduction of the diabetes medicine came up, he wasn't all that happy about my weight and the mention of possible sleep apnea. He then looked at my eyes with the typical medical instrument for several minutes and then decided to get another Welch Allyn piece of equipment that he tried to get to work for a few seconds and gave up and then gave me his overall concerns. One of them being I need to see the ophthalmologist for potential AV Nicking. It absolutely snowballed on me. I do feel confident that I will be able to work through things, but I will not be going back to him. It was mainly because I felt the office was disorganized.

Never heard of AV Nicking before, so I looked it up

AV, or arteriovenous nicking (also known as arteriovenous nipping in the UK) is the phenomenon where, on examination of the eye, a small artery (arteriole) is seen crossing a small vein (venule), which results in the compression of the vein with bulging on either side of the crossing.​

I tried corresponding with the FAA so that I could have a list of the AME's findings so that I can be prepared to answer them, and I received a response. He didn't mention a thing about the AV Nicking.

Back