Question about getting a class 1 or 2 after a brutal Covid bout in Dec 2021

Cali pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cali Pilot
Question I fly with basic med now, I developed Covid in Dec 2021 received my basic med Sept 2021 from having a second class medical at the time i went to basic med due to the fact i didn't think at 55 yrs old i would consider flying professionally . Covid for me was brutal i developed phenomena and respiratory failure along with blood clots in my lungs, no respirator just a nose canal . After 5 days in the hospital i was released and on blood thinners for 6 months (eliquis) . I have fully recouped and healthier then ever and take zero medication and have had multiple lung tests etc with zero long Covid side effects. I was thinking of going back to a class1 or 2 medical to pursue an aviation career, I was told by my AME that if i provide all the paperwork that i am healthier then a bull that there is no guarantee the FAA will issue me a medical , in fact if it is denied they will in fact take away your basic med. Any thoughts on this? I hate to have to camp out in front of my mail box every day awaiting the results, I am perfectly content flying for fun now and hate to awake a sleeping giant. I have heard some real horror stories about pilots going thru hell with opening up pandora's box. Thanks in advance

Not a doctor but personally I wouldn't take the risk even if it was a 95% chance it wouldn't be problem. If you are denied you are done with pretty much everything. The system as it stands sucks.

There's a reason that there are now some 80,000 healthy pilots on Basic Med, many with Commercial Certificates reverting to Private privileges by choice.

I'd rather put my money into fuel and maintenance than paying out of pocket for medical evaluation and testing that has no medical benefit, consumes a ridiculous amount of time, and risks permanent grounding. I agree about the system sucking.

No idea on likelihood of FAA outcome, but the AME is correct in that a denial does render you no longer eligible to operate under Basic Med

No idea on likelihood of FAA outcome, but the AME is correct in that a denial does render you no longer eligible to operate under Basic Med

Agree 100%. However, I would suggest the danger goes even further than that. A denial renders you unable to act as PIC in ANY capacity, even Sport Pilot.

So, in this case, there would have to be a huge potential reward to outweigh that very real risk to applying for a medical of any class from the FAA.

Not a doctor but personally I wouldn't take the risk even if it was a 95% chance it wouldn't be problem. If you are denied you are done with pretty much everything. The system as it stands sucks.
I took an 14 yr break from flying went back in 2018. Back in the day the old medical forms were filled in by hand brought into the AME then the physical was completed after knowing that it was now done by internet the medxpress form i completed the form went to an AME and passed my class 2. After reviewing the form when I got home Irealized that I did not check the box of having ADMISSION TO HOSPITAL. Upon noticing this I contacted the FAA and told them I made an honest mistake that I meant to check the box of having ADMISSION TO HOSPITAL in 2001 and my prior application in 2004 reflected that i did indeed check the box and in remarks section was for weight loss surgery . I just in fact forgot to recheck it in 2018 and I miss understood the question. They sent me a later denied me my medical and I had to hire a medical attorney , submit all medical records . dmv records, and get all labs and kidney liver function tests done. It was being chastised for simply being honest and stating "hey I made an error I meant to check this box and I didn't even though it was checked in the past with explanation and wasn't an issue" I sweated it out for 3 months finally was cleared. Never want to relive this again.

If you're already talking to your AME he should be able to tell you whether he can issue in the office or defer it to the FAA, choose accordingly.

A denial renders you unable to act as PIC in ANY capacity, even Sport Pilot.
Not quite. With a failed medical, you can still fly gliders (including motorgliders), balloons, and ultralights.

The spec is the AME has to obtain the hospital record, and the recovery record, and summarize the case, and then defer. So you have to find an AME consultant who will do that. Your AME "didn't get the message".

And, as I always say, "lie/omit at your peril, it's a Felony" If you were hospitalized the insurance footprint is so big they will find out soon enough.

Last edited:
Seems from the readings the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Since i own a bonanza and enjoy flying it tremendously, I can't see the risk of losing the one passion in life i have for simply trying to upgrade a class in medical status. Worse yet the amount of frustration , worry and aggravation as to every day wondering what letter may arrive or not arrive in the mail, and if that letter did arrive what hoops must be jumped through to obtain the results of upgrading. I guess in this case "If its not broken don't try to fix it" stands true

And at age 55 you aren't really dealing with a "career" of flying. At best you're dealing with half of one and jeopardizing the "hobby" part of the other.

I was thinking of going back to a class1 or 2 medical to pursue an aviation career,....

There are all sorts of aviation careers that don’t require a class 1 or 2 medical. CFI. A&P. Flight school owner/operator. Airport manager. Aviation attorney. AME. Aeronautical engineer. Aircraft broker. FAA bureaucrat. Treetop flyer.

Don’t play medical roulette. Keep your Basic Med, enjoy flying, and if you want an aviation career, pick one that doesn’t require a medical.

This advice is worth only slightly less than you paid for it.

Back