Question about Flying to the Bahamas

Bill, thanks for the detailed post about your experience.

I'm headed down in early April. Got the CBP sticker ordered, cottage booked and a boat rented on Guana Cay.

First leg will be just shy of 3 hours. KTTA - SSI - KXFL. About 3 hours flight time. XFL is showing 4.80/gal fuel which is pretty low it seems. I'll fill the tanks (7hrs fuel) Next leg will be down to Jupiter inlet and then hop over to Marsh Harbour. About 2:15.

This looks to be a great GA trip. Airline tickets can't match the cost and schedule. It looks as if it will cost me half as much and take half the travel time flying GA.

Check out fuel prices at KOMN as well, right next to KXFL. It used to be a bit cheaper than Flagler.

Check out fuel prices at KOMN as well, right next to KXFL. It used to be a bit cheaper than Flagler.

One thing about pricing fuel for a Bahamas trip, even if you spend $1 more at the closest airport to the Bahamas, you'll save money on the twice the price fuel you don't have to buy in the Bahamas to get back. The trick if you can manage it is to arrive in the Bahamas with all the fuel you need to get back so you don't have to buy any there.

One thing about pricing fuel for a Bahamas trip, even if you spend $1 more at the closest airport to the Bahamas, you'll save money on the twice the price fuel you don't have to buy in the Bahamas to get back. The trick if you can manage it is to arrive in the Bahamas with all the fuel you need to get back so you don't have to buy any there.

I can do that filling up at XFL.

Marsh Harbour charges a $20 "facility fee" that is waived if you buy 10 gallons of $7.50 gas. I'm probably just going to pay the fee.

I would prefer to go to treasure cay so I don't have to pay landing or tie down fees but i'll just cough up the cash to save a 20 minute cab ride each way.

Last edited:

No offense intended, but KOMN is about the most expensive fuel in 50 miles according to airnav.com

Bill, thanks for the detailed post about your experience.

I'm headed down in early April. Got the CBP sticker ordered, cottage booked and a boat rented on Guana Cay.

First leg will be just shy of 3 hours. KTTA - SSI - KXFL. About 3 hours flight time. XFL is showing 4.80/gal fuel which is pretty low it seems. I'll fill the tanks (7hrs fuel) Next leg will be down to Jupiter inlet and then hop over to Marsh Harbour. About 2:15.

This looks to be a great GA trip. Airline tickets can't match the cost and schedule. It looks as if it will cost me half as much and take half the travel time flying GA.

I'll miss you by a week or two, I've got a trip out there later in the month. KSGJ is a good fuel stop in Florida. Self serve facility with its' own bathrooms and vending machines.

Thanks for the tip Dave. They are showing 4.75/gal. Looks like a winner.

I'm flying out on the 12th, returning 16th.
Haha not exactly early April

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Can someone tell me where do you find current weather reports for most of the Islands?

If you do not have ForeFlight, is there any where else?

I received my new charts for the Bahamas and it brought up some new questions.

Looking at the Nassau VOR ZQA are there different type routes coming off this VOR?

Example
MIAMI Sectional SOUTH
BR 55V
M329 B646
G 437
BR 53V-55V A555
LOW ALT L-23 Same radials as above
BR55V
B646M329
G437
A555-BR53V-55V

Are all of these Victor Airways?

BR stands for Bahamas Route. It is printed on your Miami Sectional.

I flew IFR back home from Marsh Harbour (MYAM) yesterday and got picked up on Miami Center's radar at about 7k feet, maybe 10 miles west of MYAM. My routing was ZFP BR62V ANGEE KFPR

Nassau at least has some weather reporting. Still, carry lots of fuel! I had poor luck with the weather.

Get to know the BR's coming and going and the intersections there, the controllers do like to use them.

Last edited:
BR stands for Bahamas Route. It is printed on your Miami Sectional.

I flew IFR back home from Marsh Harbour (MYAM) yesterday and got picked up on Miami Center's radar at about 7k feet, maybe 10 miles west of MYAM. My routing was ZFP BR62V ANGEE KFPR

Nassau at least has some weather reporting. Still, carry lots of fuel! I had poor luck with the weather.

Get to know the BR's coming and going and the intersections there, the controllers do like to use them.

Thank you for the info.

Do you happen to know what the M and G stands for?

MIAMI Sectional SOUTH
BR 55V

M329 B646
G 437
BR 53V-55V A555
LOW ALT L-23 Same radials as above
BR55V
B646M329
G437
A555-BR53V-55V

Ive got any other charts.. trip documents...customs help you need.

I flight plan internationally to the Bahamas fairly regularly.

-----

www.skycrewaviation.com

Thanks for the offer. I think I have already purchased all the stuff i need but if I have any questions I will Send you a PM

Thinking of stopping at Ft Pierce for the night on our way to the Bahamas next month.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a very nice place to stay and a good place to eat?

We just got back from our trip to The Bahamas.

We had a great time.

Thanks all for the helpful info.

Back