Question about Flying to the Bahamas

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
I have a question for the pilots who fly to the Bahamas.

In a recent AOPA Webcast “Flight Operations in the Bahamas, Mexico, and the Caribbean” the speaker said one of the things you need to bring with you flying outside the USA was your Airplane Log books. He said if there is a problem with an official you may need to use them to prove your aircraft airworthiness.

How many of you Bahamas fliers do this? If so, have you ever had to use them? Do you keep the logs in the plane when you land or do you take them with you to your hotel room for safe keeping? Would a copy of you log books work?

I have a question for the pilots who fly to the Bahamas.

In a recent AOPA Webcast “Flight Operations in the Bahamas, Mexico, and the Caribbean” the speaker said one of the things you need to bring with you flying outside the USA was your Airplane Log books. He said if there is a problem with an official you may need to use them to prove your aircraft airworthiness.

How many of you Bahamas fliers do this? If so, have you ever had to use them? Do you keep the logs in the plane when you land or do you take them with you to your hotel room for safe keeping? Would a copy of you log books work?

I would never take the original logbooks anywhere in the plane.

I've only been to the Bahamas once, and nobody ever even mentioned anything about it - In fact, I don't think anyone ever even glanced at the plane except FBO staff.

If you're concerned about needing something like that, scan them and put them on your iPad.

They could care less about log books or any of that crap down there. They don't even care if you have a license. Customs is a breeze.

Coming back to the states, better pay close attention to eApis and customs rules.

Have fun it is a great trip from Texas.

I have never taken my log books out of the country,and never been asked to produce them in the Bahamas . Are you flying a home built or LSA?

Bahamas checks if you have a Passport, Visa or Master Card. Everything else is optional.

Thanks All for your input.

I thought the speaker was wrong about taking the logs alone. He was based in Mexico so he may have been talking specifically about Mexico.

I have my logs safely locked up in a fire proof file.

Hope to fly to the Bahamas this year.

Ron Keating – I am flying a Saratoga.

One more question – The speaker mentioned to come back into the country we would need a US Customs Private Aircraft Decal. This may only apply to Mexico but do the guys who have been there have a decal? Here is a link to the US Customs.
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/uftd_info.xml
https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/

EDIT FOR TYPING ERROR

Last edited:

I thought the speaker was wrong about taking the logs alone. He was based in Mexico so he may have been talking specifically about Mexico.

One more question – The speaker mentioned to come back into the country we would need a US Customs Private Aircraft Decal. This may only apply to Mexico but do the guys who have been there have a decal? Here is a link to the US Customs.

EDIT FOR TYPING ERROR

Yes, you need to have applied and paid for the decal, print out the receipt if you can. You should have the sticker, but you don't 'need' it if it doesn't come by the time of your trip; it will be in the computer system that you paid for it. Normally they come in the mail in between 4 and 7 days.

EDIT FOR TYPING ERROR

http://www.banyanair.com/bahamas_requirements.asp?tab=2#bt2

Step by step directions, and a list of documents.

They have a free travel kit. http://www.banyanair.com/bahamas_travel_assistance.asp#

Start with the video
It lists the requirements, procedures, who to talk to when and where.

Last edited:
When flying to Bahama's try to get there early before their customs closes for the evening. If you get there after they are closed, you will be charged additionally, I believe it was an extra $50 USD for each person.

Flying at night is prohibited.

Note: You will be flying in the Bermuda Triangle.

Have fun! And don't worry about it too much. They're pretty laid back. Get (and read) the Bahamas and Caribbean pilot's flying guide (http://www.pilotpub.com) and get the paperwork packets. Go to a Bahamas Gateway FBO and they can help you with getting the paperwork done in advance.

I *highly* recommend App Jet Center in Ft. Pierce, they were extremely helpful, had rafts for rent for very reasonable rates, and US Customs right next door on the way back in was the best and fastest I've ever been to anywhere - From the time I pulled off the runway to the time I exited Customs was less than 10 minutes, and that includes the taxi time!

Yes, you need the decal... Or at least the receipt for the decal. They didn't check it, but I probably just got lucky.

Have fun! And don't worry about it too much. They're pretty laid back. Get (and read) the Bahamas and Caribbean pilot's flying guide (http://www.pilotpub.com) and get the paperwork packets. Go to a Bahamas Gateway FBO and they can help you with getting the paperwork done in advance.

I *highly* recommend App Jet Center in Ft. Pierce, they were extremely helpful, had rafts for rent for very reasonable rates, and US Customs right next door on the way back in was the best and fastest I've ever been to anywhere - From the time I pulled off the runway to the time I exited Customs was less than 10 minutes, and that includes the taxi time!

Yes, you need the decal... Or at least the receipt for the decal. They didn't check it, but I probably just got lucky.

If you had it issued, they know it without checking.

Soon I will be flying to the Bahamas for the first time. I listened to the AOPA call as well.

The way I understand the logbook issue is this; if one were to require a major piece of work to be done due to an accident or whatever, the authorities might ask for some proof of airworthiness before departure. What would you do? A logbook with the work signed off would be ideal. Paperwork with signatures, stamps and such count for a lot.

Lots of 'ifs' in there. I recall him making the point generally but like others here I'm thinking it may be an issue to consider if traveling to Mexico or South America but not so much in the Bahamas.

I won't be taking my logs. I will be carrying my Repairman's Certificate for my experimental.

Bill "Bonefishing" Watson

The topic of logbooks is more related to countries like Mexico and Central American countries. The Bahamas is probably the most General Aviation friendly countries outside of the USA and is more interested in you visiting their country than anything else.

We had an incident in Mexico where the logbooks became a major factor. An aircraft was flying to a popular destination in Mexico and lost all communications. As there was a lot of IFR and VFR traffic at the airport, it became an incident which garnered the attention of ATC and Civil Aviation officials. The pilot had parts shipped in and "fixed" the problem and the radios became operational again. However, the local Civil Aviation officials wanted proof that the repairs were conducted properly and that there was a proper logbook entry declaring that the aircraft was approved to go back into service (they did not want a repeat of the incident on departure). As the pilot was not an A&P, the tap dance began.....

The FAR's require that we comply with the regulations of the foreign countries that we fly in. In the case of Mexico, you need the logbooks. In this case, there were neither logbooks nor logbook entries, nor stickers... nada. Made a bad situation worse. As AOPA rep in Mexico, we were able to intervene, find an FAA certified mechanic to review and sign off on the repairs, had a copy of the last page of the logbook scanned and emailed to Mexico for printing and presto, we were able to provide proof of a legal repair and proper logbook entry.

Fortunately, the civil aviation officials were accommodating because if they had wanted to press the matter it could have been more complicated. In the case of the Bahamas, you would probably not have such an issue.

Each pilot should know what the regulations are so that they can make an informed decision as to whether they want to take their logbooks or not. While we cannot predict what probability there is that not having logbooks would be a problem, at least you know.

PS. I live in Mexico, not New Mexico.

Hello Rick,

I enjoyed your AOPA WebCast. I took two pages of notes.

Thanks for the post.

Hey Rick, how have you been?

One thing to note about the Bahamas, and it's what makes it difficult to rent a plane to go there anymore, is that if you have a problem, you can no longer fly your mechanic and parts over to fix it. You have to use a Bahamian A&P and pay full duty on parts. Not a huge problem really as apparently most if not all Bahamian A&Ps are FAA certified, but it can get costly.

Hi Henning,

It has ben awhile since I have been able to visit the site. We have been really busy and now the Mexico APIS issue has been demanding a lot of our time.

All in all, the Bahamas is a great option. I know I can be accused of bias as I am from the Bahamas but if you look at the location, complexity and cost relative to other countries, it is a great destination option. However, as you point there can be challenges. The issue will vary from airport to airport in the islands. If there are Bahamian mechanics already located at, or near, the airport where you have a problem, they will be bending the ear of the immigration official when you try and bring someone form out of the country to work on your airplane.

We will be in the Bahamas mid-February and again in March on Fly-Ins, I hope we run into each other.

I'm planning a trip this spring.

Does the "pilot's bill of rights" still apply? From what I understand, this means no landing, tiedown fees for single engine airplanes at public airports. The only fees you pay are a $50 per aircraft customs fee and a $25 per person departure tax.

Pilots bill of rights - http://www.bahamas.com/private-flying-info

Couple folks on airnav were complaining about paying a bunch of fees at Marsh Harbour which is a publicly owned airport in the Abacos.

So I e-mailed them to ask about the fees for a piston single.

Hello Ren,

Thank you for your interest in Cherokee Aviation, the following fees would apply to the aircraft while here with us:

Facility Fee $20.00
Parking $10 per night
Processing Fee $50.00
Departure Tax $25.00 per person

The facility fee is waived if you get 10 or more gallons.
Please feel free to contact us should you require additional information.
We look forward to your arrival.

Margo

PS According to an airnav comment, that processing fee of $50 is in addition to the $50 tax levied by the government.

The legit customs fees are $100 for my trip and then when you add in their fees it brings the total fees to $220. That's an extra night at a hotel in the Florida Keys... Oh and don't forget the $30 customs decal for the plane. That's lunch for 2 and a rum + coke.

Last edited:
I'm hearing two different messages.

Message one; Go to customs directly in the Bahamas, and clear, then go fly until you leave when you go to customs again directly and pay your exit visa fee and go home.

Message two: Go to an agent/FBO on arrival and have them handle the customs intake, and do the same on departure and pay a fee both ways.

Which is it?

Message one; Go to customs directly in the Bahamas, and clear, then go fly until you leave when you go to customs again directly and pay your exit visa fee and go home.

Message two: Go to an agent/FBO on arrival and have them handle the customs intake, and do the same on departure and pay a fee both ways.

Which is it?

It depends on what you're bringing in. If it's just personal items, an agent isn't going to do much for you. If you are importing stuff to the Bahamas, an agent can often negotiate a better duty rate.

Just me and my wife, and personal effects. No comm activities, just pleasure flights.

Just me and my wife, and personal effects. No comm activities, just pleasure flights.

Just clear in and out through a port of entry through the normal channels, the Bahamians are quite friendly. Have cash.

I'm friendly too, I also don't wanna pay $100 in fees just to gain access to the customs folks. Sounds like the guy at Marsh Harbour had his pocket picked. I think if I go I'll just stop in Freeport, do my thing with customs, then go fly around, and stop there on the way out, do the exit fee thing and head home.

I'm friendly too, I also don't wanna pay $100 in fees just to gain access to the customs folks. Sounds like the guy at Marsh Harbour had his pocket picked. I think if I go I'll just stop in Freeport, do my thing with customs, then go fly around, and stop there on the way out, do the exit fee thing and head home.

Yep, you could also potentially 'clear out' at the same time you clear in if you intend to head home from a non PoE airport.

Look man, you gotta pay fees so that you can pay the fees. What part of that don't you understand? :rofl:

Look man, you gotta pay fees so that you can pay the fees. What part of that don't you understand? :rofl:

If you are importing stuff, usually the agent can save you well more than their fee in duty costs.

lol,, This prompts a short story. I was in S Korea working on some stuff. We needed a part from the states and had it shipped over. Korean customs told us it would be avail in 20 days or so. But, the expediting fee could reduce it to about 6 days. A further expediting fee could have it avail in a few hours. :D

I walked out with it later that day of course.

lol,, This prompts a short story. I was in S Korea working on some stuff. We needed a part from the states and had it shipped over. Korean customs told us it would be avail in 20 days or so. But, the expediting fee could reduce it to about 6 days. A further expediting fee could have it avail in a few hours. :D

I walked out with it later that day of course.

When I did the yacht fit out/commissioning in Australia, everything had to come from the US or Europe, in a year my shipping & import costs were over $1MM:yikes:

Making plans for a June tour of the Islands.
Ordered my Customs Decal.
Bought the 2014 Bahamas & Caribbean Pilot's Guide, Charts, and Forms needed.
We are trying to stay on 3 islands during our trip. It is hard to book rooms now for 4 months out and guess what the weather will be. We will just wait unil June 1 and make some calls and take what we can find.

OK. So we recently returned from our first trip to the Bahamas in our RV10. It was a wonderful trip and we'll be back for sure!

Our itinerary was NC to Pompano Beach KPMP to Congo Town MYAK on Andros Island (customs and Bonefishing), to Staniel Key MYES in the Exumas (lunch), to New Bight MYCB on Cat Island (deep chill & Superbowl), back to Staniel (skin diving and more Bones), to North Eleuthra (fuel & customs), to KFPR (customs) and back home in NC.

You can leave the states from anywhere (no customs req'd) but Ft Pierce would seem like a nice place to leave from if you need help of any kind. It definitely is a friendly place to return to. On the return, KFPR Customs is very friendly but their eyes are open, "when does your medical expire?" It doesn't seem like they look at the plane unless you peek back outside while they are not looking at your baggage. Very friendly, just have your stuff in order.

The Bahamian authorities are very friendly and easy. We went to 3 out island AOE airports and though the facilities are spare, they were manned/womanned as scheduled.
Yes, you need to have applied and paid for the decal, print out the receipt if you can. You should have the sticker, but you don't 'need' it if it doesn't come by the time of your trip; it will be in the computer system that you paid for it. Normally they come in the mail in between 4 and 7 days.
Mine took 3 weeks so I didn't have it for the trip. It's online but I had the receipt as well.
They could care less about log books or any of that crap down there. They don't even care if you have a license. Customs is a breeze.

Coming back to the states, better pay close attention to eApis and customs rules.
Yes, Yes and make sure your papers and schedules are in order when returning to states.
One thing to note about the Bahamas, and it's what makes it difficult to rent a plane to go there anymore, is that if you have a problem, you can no longer fly your mechanic and parts over to fix it. You have to use a Bahamian A&P and pay full duty on parts. Not a huge problem really as apparently most if not all Bahamian A&Ps are FAA certified, but it can get costly.
Bahamian A&P sounds right. They have laws about work only being done by Bahamians with properly imported Bahamian goods just like we do in the States except they may be more serious about it. Applies to everything. Non-Bahamian's work is carefully circumscribed.
Does the "pilot's bill of rights" still apply? From what I understand, this means no landing, tiedown fees for single engine airplanes at public airports. The only fees you pay are a $50 per aircraft customs fee and a $25 per person departure tax.

Pilots bill of rights - http://www.bahamas.com/private-flying-info

Couple folks on airnav were complaining about paying a bunch of fees at Marsh Harbour which is a publicly owned airport in the Abacos.

So I e-mailed them to ask about the fees for a piston single.

PS According to an airnav comment, that processing fee of $50 is in addition to the $50 tax levied by the government.

The legit customs fees are $100 for my trip and then when you add in their fees it brings the total fees to $220.
I didn't know anything about it but found the Pilot's bill of rights posted on official's doors!!

The fees for our trip were calculated at $100 and that's what they were. $50 coming in, $25 per leaving. Govt AOE airports were uniforming smooth surfaced, long and wide. Tiedowns varied with coral playing a big part. Staniel was slightly rougher and shorter. Security looked scarce but seems more than adequate. We quickly abandoned the prop lock and stopped thinking about security in general.

Which is it?
Land at any AOE in the Bahamas. Pay the $50 do the paper work. Go have fun whereever you want. Depart from any AOE in the Bahamas and pay the $25 per head. No hands out anywhere we went, no BS, no static, be friendly and you will be helped. Be bitchy and you will be served as well.
Just clear in and out through a port of entry through the normal channels, the Bahamians are quite friendly. Have cash.

The advice we had was avoid Freeport and Nassau. The advice we'd give is don't hesitate to go in or out of any AOE airport, no matter how remote. Can't speak to Marsh Harbour... maybe add to Freeport and Nassau list.

Have cash for everything... not because hands are out but because that's what you pay for things with. Bahamian $$ and US $$ are equivalent except for when you get back, so...

We are trying to stay on 3 islands during our trip. It is hard to book rooms now for 4 months out and guess what the weather will be. We will just wait until June 1 and make some calls and take what we can find.
Outside of hurricane season, there's not much weather from what I've heard. Seems true.

I couldn't book all the places I saw online on all the days I wanted them but there is another 'layer' of places to stay when you show up in person. Everything is neat and clean but not necessarily as nice and comfortable as others.

We had the freedom to extend our stay a bit and island hop based on who we met and what we heard. Worked out real well. Island hopping in your own plane is the ultimate is flexibility and speed. There's lot's of islands, many airports and only short stretches of water in between.

PM me if you have specific questions I can answer.

Bill W.
Thanks for the post. Very helpful.

I will let you know if I have any questions.

Scott

That Guide!!

I've seen it in physical form but I chose to buy the iPad version. The iPad version sucks but the guide is very useful once I worked thru the suckiness.

Suckiness? It took me 3 days to figure out how to turn a page on the iPad. All the data is there it's just a lousy implementation.

To others; consider the guide mandatory in one form or the other. Buy the book unless you insanely committed to the paperless cockpit and desktop like I am.

We are trying to stay on 3 islands during our trip. It is hard to book rooms now for 4 months out and guess what the weather will be. We will just wait unil June 1 and make some calls and take what we can find.

I'm probably going there in July, but I'm not booking anything until I arrive (or maybe 1-2 days before hand). I want the flexibility not so much because of the flying weather, but more for the boating weather which I'm more excited about that the flight even!

I wouldn't be worried at all about finding something last minute. Might not be your first choice, but it'll def work.

Staniel Cay it doesn't matter what the weather is doing, and June is early for big storms.

Any PIREPS for MYIG Matthew Town/Great Inagua? Planning on using it for a technical fuel stop on the way to Puerto Rico. Also, what airport would you use to stage in and out of Florida for that trip? Currently looking at TMB but others suggest FXE. Looking at the cheapest gas, but really looking at ease of clearing customs on the way back from PR (via Bahamas).

After gathering all the details about eApis, my general aversion/animosity with the idea of dealing with CBP, and the paperwork hassles in the bahamas, I really wish I had waited out and purchased an arrow iii with the 74gal usable tanks and thus make the trip non-stop. Outside a FAA-337 modification of arrow iii fuel tanks to my arrow ii, a fuel stop will be a necessity. Willing to give the bahamas a try. Hope it doesn't sour my bucket list trip.

Thanks!

If you aren't critical for every last drop, check the airports a bit NW of FXE around the S shore area of Lake Okeechobee, usually they have better fuel prices. It pays to check a few as it varies which one is cheapest. Otherwise pull up at Banyan on FXE, they also have an excellent pilot shop and rent overwater gear.

Also, what airport would you use to stage in and out of Florida for that trip? Currently looking at TMB but others suggest FXE. Looking at the cheapest gas, but really looking at ease of clearing customs on the way back from PR (via Bahamas).

I had an excellent experience with both CBP and App Jet Center at KFPR. They'll also help with Bahamas paperwork and rent overwater gear for reasonable prices.

Bill, thanks for the detailed post about your experience.

I'm headed down in early April. Got the CBP sticker ordered, cottage booked and a boat rented on Guana Cay.

First leg will be just shy of 3 hours. KTTA - SSI - KXFL. About 3 hours flight time. XFL is showing 4.80/gal fuel which is pretty low it seems. I'll fill the tanks (7hrs fuel) Next leg will be down to Jupiter inlet and then hop over to Marsh Harbour. About 2:15.

This looks to be a great GA trip. Airline tickets can't match the cost and schedule. It looks as if it will cost me half as much and take half the travel time flying GA.

Back