question about airline pilots life

farnama

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
farnama
Hello guys

I live in us
I have ppl and wanna be an airline pilot but........

How is the airline pilots life? could i have a family in future? how many day would i be off from my home town?

help guys.....

i love to fly but.......

First post! Welcome to PoA!

And you picked an interesting question for sure! Lots of debate gonna happen with this one. :popcorn:

An opening question from me is: Are you sure that you absolutely want to be a pilot for the majors or regionals? Or is your desire to make a living within aviation and earning flight pay?

The answer may qualifiy the direction the conversation goes and advice given.

An example to the latter is our own David White. He got busy obtaining his commercial certificate as soon as the regs permitted, and now has a good job flying for an aerial survey company. He earns a good wage for a youngster (/insert_jealous_smiley), which is better than what you could expect as a FO in a regional. And he isn't absent from his current home that much.

Last edited:
Welcome to POA. I'm not an airline pilot but I do know several, and they all have families. So I would say, yes, of course you can have a family. As to the other questions, I can't answer.

Can you tell us more about you? Age? Flight experience? Educational level?

Fly helicopters. Pay is almost as good, it's far more fun, you won't be away from home as much and you don't need to worry about getting furloughed. :)

Welcome to POA. I'm not an airline pilot but I do know several, and they all have families. So I would say, yes, of course you can have a family. As to the other questions, I can't answer.

Can you tell us more about you? Age? Flight experience? Educational level?

yeah
50 hours of flight and got PPL and about to start the rest of education
and i am 20

1)would u please tell me how is these several pilots life that you are saying?
2)how many days are they out of their hometown
3)another question.i heard that usa pilots salary is lower comparing to Europe an Asia.is it correct?

Fly helicopters. Pay is almost as good, it's far more fun, you won't be away from home as much and you don't need to worry about getting furloughed. :)

how much is the average salary?

And you picked an interesting question for sure! Lots of debate gonna happen with this one. :popcorn:

An opening question from me is: Are you sure that you absolutely want to be a pilot for the majors or regionals? Or is your desire to make a living within aviation and earning flight pay?

An example to the latter is our own David White. He got busy obtaining his commercial certificate as soon as the regs permitted, and now has a good job flying for an aerial survey company. He earns a good wage for a youngster (/insert_jealous_smiley), which is better than what you could expect as a FO in a regional. And he isn't absent from his current home that much.

i want to be a pilot because i love flying buttttttt surely i need good salary for living. and i am some sort of family guy:wink2: so.....

Last edited:
Farnama, there are a lot of great people on this board that will give you good insight. I'd like to suggest also checking out PPruNe ( http://www.pprune.org/ ). It's got a much larger contingent of airline pilots, and boards dedicated to this. You may well find the knowledge you seek there.

Pay varies greatly but average is around 80 grand. Really depends on what segment you go into. Without military training, pretty much all civilian pilots start off as flight instructors making around $25,000. Generally once they get around a thousand hours they move into tours or oil and gas making around $60,000. Once you get a few thousand hours of experience you can get a contract job overseas making close to $200,000. Most jobs you're only working 6 months out of the year as well.

First off, if you want to be a professional anything, ditch the laziness in your typing.

it is not about being lazy.i just want a semi normal life

Pay varies greatly but average is around 80 grand. Really depends on what segment you go into. Without military training, pretty much all civilian pilots start off as flight instructors making around $25,000. Generally once they get around a thousand hours they move into tours or oil and gas making around $60,000. Once you get a few thousand hours of experience you can get a contract job overseas making close to $200,000. Most jobs you're only working 6 months out of the year as well.

what do you mean by contract job overseas?
how is these jobs?

what do you mean by contract job overseas?
how is these jobs?

You fly for a private firm (Blackwater) that gets awarded govt contracts to fly overseas.

Thanks for the link. "Common Myths" and "The Ugly" were especially interesting reads. One thing I keep saying is that the people getting out of the military are going to start filling any future pilot shortage. All the post 9/11 excess pilots are getting out and plenty of enlisted enjoying the flight benefits of the new GI Bill.

It's a crapshoot. Timing and luck. I suggest if you want predictability on the return of investment of your time and effort, not to mention the supposed "semi-normal" lifestyle you seek, just go to school and get a non-flying job. Go to dental school if you're actually smart enough to hack the academics and time required (which no offense, but your writing doesn't seem to indicate).

If you do feel like gambling with ten years of your time and potential debt incursion, then sure, go ahead aim high and live the dream of attempting to gain a lucrative position among the sea of meager paying pilot jobs. There's a 50/50 chance your life could be comfortable and decent beyond belief, or a total nightmare you can't recover from. Good luck!

Thanks for the link. "Common Myths" and "The Ugly" were especially interesting reads. One thing I keep saying is that the people getting out of the military are going to start filling any future pilot shortage. All the post 9/11 excess pilots are getting out and plenty of enlisted enjoying the flight benefits of the new GI Bill.

To sound like a broken record. There is no pilot shortage. There will be no pilot shortage. There has never been a pilot shortage.

There might be a shortage of people willing to work as a regional FO for regional FO wages for the preponderance of a 10 year span of time, as they fail to move up the ladder into living wages in less than 5 years. That does not mean in any way shape or form that there is a bona fide pilot shortage.

Anybody who wonders if we have a pilot shortage can prove it to their satisfaction by running a "pilot wanted" ad on any of the pilot websites. The speed at which your inbox overflows will be the first clue.

+1 on the typing. :yes:
With the internet and everyone having a computer workstation and QWERTY keyboard, our culture lost the skill of how to write long hand, and cursive.

With emails, we lost the genuine personableness of sending and receving hand written letters that made a connection because someone took the effort to write.

With cellphones and SMS, we are losing the ability to form proper sentences and use correct grammar.

I am concerned about the current crop of kids. I wonder if the movie "Idiocracy" is more prophecy than a comedic statement.

The U.S. Occupational Outlook Handbook has a very broad, very general view, but it is not that long or hard to read so it can provide an alternative perspective to the many subjective messages you'll get on the internet.
Here is the link for Airline Pilots:
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/transportation-and-material-moving/airline-and-commercial-pilots.htm

We are not being mean or snobbish when you are advised to present yourself in the most appealing manner possible, and that absolutely includes how you display your command of the English language. The reason is concern about your ability to communicate would be a negative consideration when comparing you with other job applicants. Communication is essential to safe flying.

No need to be so hard because of his typing doesn't mean he can't write , it's online and people like to get the thought out quick and not even check grammar **** look at how I typed this damn tappatalk iPhone forum typing lol

I am concerned about the current crop of kids. I wonder if the movie "Idiocracy" is more prophecy than a comedic statement.
Sadly I don't think the idiocracy we're headed for is starting with the current crop of kids. A simple look at the government we've had for the past 10+ years (without concern for which party has been in power) is enough to make my point, and the manner voters use to decide who will be next (having to do with everything except informed opinion) means it's not about to change.

As to being more prophecy than comedic statement... I think it's less prophecy than it is observation. Regarding comedic statement, comedy and tragedy are not so far apart ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I agree with the fun part... however, I haven't seen my family in over two months :eek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I agree with the fun part... however, I haven't seen my family in over two months :eek:

Well, don't do seasonal or contract stuff. Might have to take a pay cut and do EMS, law enforcement or news to see the family every night.

EDIT-Looks like you're a tour guy. Why isn't the fam living where you're at?

Last edited:
financially isn't worth it to move for 4 - 5 months, plus the wife's job pays all the bills ! and lastly still have a commitment to fulfill to the AF reserves back home

so yea eventually... 14/14 stay at home or otherwise, but until then its not unlike working for the "regionals" for a few years before you make the "majors"

edit - pretty much have to rely on wife's job as the pay sucks :( especially for the risk taken (single engine piston over " mountainous " terrain with forced landing areas few and far between)

Last edited:
If you do feel like gambling with ten years of your time and potential debt incursion, then sure, go ahead aim high and live the dream of attempting to gain a lucrative position among the sea of meager paying pilot jobs. There's a 50/50 chance your life could be comfortable and decent beyond belief, or a total nightmare you can't recover from. Good luck!

Welcome to life!

If you want to boreing job being a cog, yeah that's easier.

You want to do something more, aviation, starting your own (fill in the blank), it's going to be a risk.

Life is a risk, live your life without having to think what could have been.

"total nightmare you can't recover from"
this guy with the mellowdrama lol Only thing you cant recover from is death.

One thing you'll find with aviation folks, many b1tch about working in this industry, yet hardly any will say they would change things if they did it again, or would leave aviation now.

Last edited:
Today's headline in business section of local wipe:

American Eagle pilots face more concessions

Looks like the gravy train for regional pilots may be coming to an end.:D

Today's headline in business section of local wipe:

American Eagle pilots face more concessions

Looks like the gravy train for regional pilots may be coming to an end.:D

Never realized the regionals were on the gravy train :goofy:

Never realized the regionals were on the gravy train :goofy:

American Eagle had drifted to one of the top regionals in the country. They have many pilots that had made it their final stop in their career. The reason why there's an issue is that when American went into bankruptcy, American Eagle lost their scope provisions. Their flying is now being put out for bid. The big winner is the airline with the lowest costs. That airline is having trouble finding pilots because of their low pay and poor working conditions.

The sad thing is that every "career" regional has been gutted. The last man standing is Horizon. Their parent, Alaska, has started using other carriers to fly Horizon's old routes.

One thing you'll find with aviation folks, many b1tch about working in this industry, yet hardly any will say they would change things if they did it again, or would leave aviation now.

Very few professional pilots I know would recommend a career as a professional pilot to their friends and loved ones. Would I do the same thing? I don't know. I'm 47 and have been flying professionally since I was 20. Aviation has been good to me. Every company except my current employer and Ameriflight are out of business. My current 121 Supplimential airline went bankrupt in 2012 and emerged with a contract that is far less than what we had before. The survival of my airline is still an open question. If it fails, I will go to the bottom at a new airline and it will take 10 years to get back to where I am now.

The issue is that the career trend line is going down hill. I don't think it will get much worse. Most airlines are flying to FAR minimums. That will stop further erosion of quality of life. I don't see the pay getting much worse nor do I see it improving much either. The question every person has to ask is it worth it to them.

I've flown and commiserated with many who are older than you and who have been career pilots only to conclude they will have no retirement benefits and have been unable to self-fund enough money to make it to the box. The FAA ranks include many pilots who have "gone over to the dark side" to helpfully sock away some semblance of a decent retirement.

Very few professional pilots I know would recommend a career as a professional pilot to their friends and loved ones. Would I do the same thing? I don't know. I'm 47 and have been flying professionally since I was 20. Aviation has been good to me. Every company except my current employer and Ameriflight are out of business. My current 121 Supplimential airline went bankrupt in 2012 and emerged with a contract that is far less than what we had before. The survival of my airline is still an open question. If it fails, I will go to the bottom at a new airline and it will take 10 years to get back to where I am now.

The issue is that the career trend line is going down hill. I don't think it will get much worse. Most airlines are flying to FAR minimums. That will stop further erosion of quality of life. I don't see the pay getting much worse nor do I see it improving much either. The question every person has to ask is it worth it to them.

I fly for a land surveying company. I had a chat with my boss and I'm going to start only doing the flying and knock my CFI out and do that when I'm not doing trips for my boss.

I'm going to take a probably 50% pay cut to do it, too.

Really the only way for me to get a decent start would be to buy something that no one else has (aerobatic tailwheel) and corner the market on that kind of instruction in my area, and since no one else does it I would have a monopoly.

With the internet and everyone having a computer workstation and QWERTY keyboard, our culture lost the skill of how to write long hand, and cursive.

With emails, we lost the genuine personableness of sending and receving hand written letters that made a connection because someone took the effort to write.

With cellphones and SMS, we are losing the ability to form proper sentences and use correct grammar.

why are you acting like this...... guyssssssssssss?????

English is my second language.and i just moved to us.what are you saying....

i have writing problems.... so whattttttttttttttt?????????

No need to be so hard because of his typing doesn't mean he can't write , it's online and people like to get the thought out quick and not even check grammar **** look at how I typed this damn tappatalk iPhone forum typing lol

thanksss

:wink2:

I heard pilot salaries is veryyyy low in us

what is your opinion about this?

I've flown and commiserated with many who are older than you and who have been career pilots only to conclude they will have no retirement benefits and have been unable to self-fund enough money to make it to the box. The FAA ranks include many pilots who have "gone over to the dark side" to helpfully sock away some semblance of a decent retirement.

Really ? Would you consider a company that donates an amount of money equal to 16% of my gross pay (not deducts but adds) and puts into a Charles Schwab account in MY name a horrible thing ?

Back