Query: Remote Preheater on/off solutions

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
What are the current solutions for remotely switching a preheater on and off?

I recall past discussions using cell phone and SIM card tech.

We also have Wi-Fi coverage from the nearby FBO, but signal strength is low.

Last edited:
The easiest one is a switchable outlet on WiFi if you have Wifi in your hangar.

With no WiFi, the Switcheon.com unit works well for me. The downside is a $50/yr subscription.

Switcheon, hands down. No wifi needed. No SIM cards or messing around with cell company number. Simple app. $50/yr renewal on app. Excellent customer service.

Switcheon, hands down. No wifi needed. No SIM cards or messing around with cell company number. Simple app. $50/yr renewal on app. Excellent customer service.
Second for the switcheon. I'm on my third winter with it.

Will it allow multiple folks to access it? I'm researching a solution for our group owned aircraft.

Will it allow multiple folks to access it? I'm researching a solution for our group owned aircraft.
That's a great question. I think so...I access mine on both my phone and my tablet. You scan a qr code that the box displays in order to link it to the app.

Here's what the account page looks like:

Screenshot_20230114-235138_SwitcheOn~2.jpg

It would appear you can control multiple boxes whether you're paying for them or not.

Please do your research, but I strongly suggest you keep the engine heater on 24/7, so no need for switching on/off.

Multiple people can access it. You just need the QR code that the box shows or you can access the QR code in the app and can be shared from there.

Please do your research, but I strongly suggest you keep the engine heater on 24/7, so no need for switching on/off.

Why is that preferable? If you only fly once a week why waste energy for the days it won't fly?

I think doing your research on this is a good idea. There are widely varying opinions on this, but little data.

I'm cheap. I have a 100 watt light bulb up under the bottom of the cowling,
It also keeps condensation from forming in the engine compartment.
If it gets REALLY cold I'll use a (gasp) 150 watt halogen.

Most sources, including Lycoming and Continental, state that you should NOT leave the heat on full time.

http://www.reiffpreheat.com/Continental SIL 03-1 Cold Wx Ops.pdf

"2. Begin preheating of the engine at least 5 hours prior to expected departure. However, do not leave the engine preheating system in operation for more than 24 hours."

That said, in my case (unheated T-hangar), I have measured under cowl temp and humidity. With outside temps around 20F, I saw under cowl temps of 20 - 30F (south facing hangar door so midday to afternoon, hangar is warmer), but relative humidity of 80 - 90%.

With an oil sump heater only (no cylinder bands) and no insulated blanket, I saw 75F and about 15% RH.

So what is safer for the engine?

At 30F and 80% RH, there is 2.69 grams of water per kg of air. If the temp drops to 24F, there will be condensation.

At 75F and 15% RH, there is 2.72 grams of water per kg of air. To get condensation, the temp would have to drop to the same 24F.

Which is more likely, a heated engine dropping temp 50 degrees or an unheated engine dropping 6 degrees? So which is safer, low temp but possible condensation or higher temp (faster chemical reactions) but no chance of condensation?

Some quick research states that wet corrosion requires the present of liquid water and is a fast process. Dry corrosion is without liquid water, and is a slow process.

The owner of the FBO on my home drome (A&P/IA) is a fan of heat on all the time. Most of his planes are school planes, so fly often. But others, that do not fly as much also follow his advice.

Can you place a remote antenna outside the hangar? I think the Verizon cell signal is fairly week at my hangar location, but inside the hangar it's nearly absent.

I should have mentioned, we already have the heater solution.

Can you place a remote antenna outside the hangar? I think the Verizon cell signal is fairly week at my hangar location, but inside the hangar it's nearly absent.

The Switcheon uses a different band of cell service that seems to provide very reliable service in poor conditions. But, yes, you can knock a hole in the hangar wall and feed the wire through, using a grommet to protect the wire and a magnetic base to hold the antenna. I'd do that if I needed to, but don't.

Hey guys thanks for the good feedback about SwitcheOn. I am SwitcheOn’s first dealer and was thrilled to have the opportunity to provide it to everyone a few years ago. SwitcheOn is simple to use and is reliable. If something is wrong, we fix it. I have an excellent inventory and orders ship daily.

Www. Gallagheraviationllc.com

James Gallagher

call me at 1-833-425-588 or email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com. It’s just me so if I do not pick up leave a voice mail and I will call you back.

I have a data card in my iPad I use for Foreflight. I leave it in the hangar most of the time where it creates a wifi network that I can both have a cheap motion sensing camera that notifies me if there is any movement, and a cheap amazon plug that I can control anywhere in the world that I use to turn on my heater.

I have a buddy that lives up north that has a system using IFTTT that if he gets a weather briefing by email (another little program he wrote) and the weather meets certain parameters on temperature, the plug will automatically turn on 5 hours before his planned departure. It also turns on his kerosene heater an hour before arrival at the airport and heats it up for him.

To be a computer geeek

@AggieMike88 yes multiple users can control the same box. I have provided SwitcheOn to many flying clubs and their members just download the free app, scan the QR code (once the box is activated) that is in the app once activated, and you can control it. Very simple and slick. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

James

Back