Q re: Lapsed medical, BFR in an LSA

Neal Howard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Neal@F14
Well, my airplane went out of annual, and both my medical and BFR status lapsed all three at the same time on Sept 30th.

My plane's annual will probably be complete Saturday (tomorrow) afternoon and my AP/IA (he's current) will fly it left-seat for the post-annual checkout flight.

I can't get an appointment to see my AME to get my medical renewed for a couple more weeks, and a CFI friend who's also let his medical lapse (and he'll not be renewing and will be doing the sport pilot thing from now on) has a 1946 J-3 Cub, and has offered to give me a BFR in his Cub. I took my last BFR two years ago with him in this same Cub right after he bought it, but both of us had current medicals back then.

Will that BFR count, in full validity, for me as a PP-ASEL when I get my 3rd class medical renewed at the end of the month, or will it only be valid if I exercise SP privileges in an LSA?

What does the FR reg say about what kind of aircraft you need to do your flight review in?

For example, can you do your FR in a hot air balloon and be good to go in a B-737 (from a flight review perspective)? What does the reg say?

What does the FR reg say about what kind of aircraft you need to do your flight review in?

For example, can you do your FR in a hot air balloon and be good to go in a B-737 (from a flight review perspective)? What does the reg say?
It's one of those situations where you hope the CFI takes a realistic look at the pilot's needs or where they do most of their flying then makes an appropriate decision not based on his or her pocket.

As long as the instructor is aware that you are not PIC-qualified due to your expired flight review, and is qualified and willing to act as PIC for the flight review, there's no problem at all. The review will be conducted just as if you were the PIC, and (assuming you have an ASEL rating on your pilot certificate), the endorsement will be fully valid for all your pilot privileges. Just be glad his Cub qualifies as a Light Sport Aircraft.

Back