Put in an offer on a house

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Yeehaw. Let the negotiations begin.

Pretty little home on a little under 1.5 acres. First time buying a house. Super excited.

Hi, Good luck, but what ever you do......do not appear excited. Play it really cool and remember its a buyers market so don't get carried away and offer too much. Need to leave some cash for more important things like flying.....:wink2:

colin,.

Way to go, every new family needs a home.

Congrats Nick. Your timing is lot better than mine, although I really didn't burned.

Hire your own lawyer to look over everything you sign even when the others say you're nuts.

Get a thorough inspection from a competent inspector. sorta like we see with Mike Holmes on HGTV sunday nights.

Much better than renting. Lots of good advice here. Have someone competent look over the paperwork. Have the house inspected by a competent inspector. And, most importantly, once escrow closes and you move in, enjoy being a homeowner! :D

how big is the garage?

Which one :)

It has a 2 car carport, a 2 car detached garage with workshop in the middle, and a 1 car basement garage (I'm assuming for my tractor and other lawn equipment).

It appears that the 2 car detached garage was originally intended to be a super man-cave, for working on vehicles (or airplanes).

I'll post some pics off MLS in a bit.

2 car...that should take about 5 minutes to fill up beyond capacity to the point where no useful work can be performed in it :)

Congrats, Nick. We're hoping to get out of the renting world next year once we decide which side of ATL to settle down on.

Here's the garage:
attachment.php

Attachments

• garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 154
interesting, is it open all the way inside or separated?

Congrats, Nick. Welcome to the world of home ownership. And constant expenditures. (someone had to say it).

You'll enjoy & always remember your first.

You'll enjoy & always remember your first.
Interesting how common a theme that is in our lives... My first truck was one of the most fun vehicles I have owned yet. 1951 Ford F1 with a inline flat six cylinder engine and 3 speed transmission.

Get a thorough inspection from a competent inspector. sorta like we see with Mike Holmes on HGTV sunday nights.

That guy's amazing. Love his attention to details and "doing it right the first time". I'd let him work on my place.

Congrats to you and your bride, Nick!

Anyone here a real estate attorney and want to make some money? Apparently its a requirement for home buying of some sort??

Oh, and the offer was accepted.

Anyone here a real estate attorney and want to make some money? Apparently its a requirement for home buying of some sort??

An attorney is usually not needed for a real estate closing. The title insurance company has plenty of attorneys to talk to for free so ask them first. Your state laws are obviously different than Nebraska so take my legal advice for what it is worth.

Not meaning to be critical but the garage looks a little "cosmetically challenged", but it is one solid brick garage! VERY cool. There are great products on the market now to gid rid of the mold on the shingles that is causing the streaks. Loose the storm door, and invest in a good gas powered weed wacker, Echo, Stihl, no Wallymart specials.

The weeds around it tell me it is a foreclosure? If it is good for you, I have bought and sold 100's of them. I hope you got a good deal for your market.

You should be excited, you are buying a piece of the planet, and they ain't making no more.

It is critical you have the property inspected so you know what you are getting.

Last edited:
interesting, is it open all the way inside or separated?

I thought I answered this one, but apparently, it never posted:

It is separated with 2 walls, but with big openings...so

Garage | Room | Garage

It reminds me of an auto mechanic's shop.

An attorney is usually not needed for a real estate closing. The title insurance company has plenty of attorneys to talk to for free so ask them first. Your state laws are obviously different than Nebraska so take my legal advice for what it is worth.

Not meaning to be critical but the garage looks a little "cosmetically challenged", but it is one solid brick garage! VERY cool. There are great products on the market now to gid rid of the mold on the shingles that is causing the streaks. Loose the storm door, and invest in a good gas powered weed wacker, Echo, Stihl, no Wallymart specials.

The weeds around it tell me it is a foreclosure? If it is good for you, I have bought and sold 100's of them. I hope you got a good deal for your market.

You should be excited, you are buying a piece of the planet, and they ain't making no more.

It is critical you have the property inspected so you know what you are getting.

Thanks. That picture is old, its from the listing. The weeds aren't so bad now. Agreed on the roof.

Not foreclosed.

For reference, this garage is about 40 feet away from the main house, toward the corner of the lot. It has a separate driveway....more reason to think it was intended to be a mechanic's shop.

In some states such as NY, I understand an attorney is required. I believe in NY, a contract to purchase real estate is not valid until reviewed and approved by an attorney.

Here in Virginia, lay settlement agents, such as title agencies, may perform closings; however, they are prevented from giving any legal advice. This includes lawyers who work for the title company. Title company lawyers are ethically not permitted to give legal advice to the purchaser or borrower. In some cases where attorneys own settlement agencies, the agency performs the closing, but the lawyer (in private practice) can give legal advice. There are certain situations where you would want independent legal advice. That being said, there is no reason that a lay settlement cannot be conducted and turn out just fine without the involvement of buyer's counsel. It all depends.

It depends. In some states, notably NY, an attorney is required to prepare the contract and hold closing (that from personal experience). Others, it can be a closing agent, often supplied by the bank.

I will say this, and it's especially true for a first-time home purchase, you should retain an attorney to make sure everything is in order rather than "trusting" the sellers and the bank. Nick, you've got the right instincts. A good attorney is worth every penny paid, and the peace of mind on a first home purchase is priceless.

you should retain an attorney to make sure everything is in order rather than "trusting" the sellers and the bank.
Never had an attorney and bought a few homes. The escrow company provides the legal backbone. It is in my opinion far more important to arrange for a thorough home inspection and have a good agent that can represent your interests when negotiating with the seller. Great time to by a home buyer!

Great news Nick!! There is nothing like the peace of mind of having a home for your family!! Do like the garage/workshop - that has potential.

You are staring that college fund next... right??

Gary

WRONG! Hire your own lawyer. If it costs you $400-$600 it's chump change compared to the costs of what traps could be waiting for you.

If Adam or Spike don't know any lawyers there, call the state bar association referral service. I would not use "the lawyer we usually use" from the broker(s) or even the title insurance company. They aren't necessarily working for you.

Keep in mind all of those "dumb people' who "should have known what they were signing."

Good advice. If you're buying a foreclosure it will still be "as is" (they won't fix anything or negotiate) but you could have a chance to walk on the deal.

Congrats! Your life just changed a bunch more! You think you needed a lot of plane toys, now you'll go on a buying spree of home stuff.

Last edited:
Congrats! You're life just changed a bunch more! You think you needed a lot of plane toys, now you'll go on a buying spree of home stuff.

I think Nick needs a bumper sticker: "My plane is a John Deere" :D

Seriously, congrats, Nick. Welcome to home ownership.

What I find cool is that thegarage garage resembles the layout of my home from the outside. Brick, same style roof and same
color shingles. Except your garage looks BIGGER than my house...lol

What I find cool is that thegarage garage resembles the layout of my home from the outside. Brick, same style roof and same
color shingles. Except your garage looks BIGGER than my house...lol

isn't that the way it should be? mine is nearly equal. 1396 sq ft in the garage and i think the house was advertised at 1700. guess i need to add on to the garage :D

isn't that the way it should be? mine is nearly equal. 1396 sq ft in the garage and i think the house was advertised at 1700. guess i need to add on to the garage :D

Not in my case. garage is nothing more than a lawn mower shed with a garage door. :(

WRONG! Hire your own lawyer. If it costs you $400-$600
Again, I never used a lawyer, don't know anyone of my friends who had paid for one for real estate transaction. But again, I am in CA, $600 would not go very far in getting a lawyer, also habits could be different in the midwest.

This is GREAT. Nick gets married, moves to NC, buys a house but puts up a picture of the GARAGE.

I wonder what this means.....

This is GREAT. Nick gets married, moves to NC, buys a house but puts up a picture of the GARAGE.

I wonder what this means.....

Better than a picture of the dog house... :rofl:

Back