Pursuing Instrument rating, need suggestions

Ozone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ozone
I found a fellow CAP member/instructor who's willing to help me get my IFR rating.
He suggested the FAA IR handbook, IR procedure book for me to get started.
When I did my PPL, I like the DVD's I got for that course so I was looking at both Sporty's and King schools. Does anyone have any opinions regarding either or both of these courses? It looks like if one is willing to spend a little more $$, you can get the FAA books with the sporty's course. King schools sweetens their deal with some extra videos for about the same price.

Sounds like you have what you need. Your choice/decision on the videos. Now get up and get started!

Lol, leave it to a cap guy to say "just read the FAA handbook"

King school FTW, they are the gold standard, I've used them with my students and myself, never had a student fail a written or oral (what it preps you for) after using King.

Also you can download all the FAA pubs (including approach plates) for free.

I like the Jepp book and the King videos, but any of them will do the trick. Once you understand it, just keep taking practice tests until you get a good score and go take the test! Who are you going to use for a DE? Might want to talk about that one with your instructor.

I used king for my private and sporty's for my IFR. I got a lot more out of the king videos with much better knowledge retention. In the end for my IFR I just used the practice tests until I had memorized enough of the information to pass. YMMV

Gary

Lol, leave it to a cap guy to say "just read the FAA handbook"

King school FTW, they are the gold standard, I've used them with my students and myself, never had a student fail a written or oral (what it preps you for) after using King.

Also you can download all the FAA pubs (including approach plates) for free.

The two FAA instrument handbooks, especially the Instrument Flying Handbook, are really not as bad as you're making it out. They aren't a bad starting point, and unlike King, they are the horse's mouth as far as the written exam goes. People failing written or oral with any prep system is very rare, unless the student is a total jerk off AND the instructor is not paying attention.

A CAP instructor is still an instructor. That he's CAP means only he is much more generous with his time than most. He doesn't get paid while instructing in CAP aircraft. Which means a student should do everything possible to be a self-starter. Don't waste his time when he's giving it away.

Sure, the OP could spend some money on a King course or some half dozen or so alternatives (Jepp seems really common as well), but it's hardly the only answer. The IFH is adequate. The procedures handbook is a bit overkill, but it works.

For my own training, I started with the IFH, and eventually read both the Machado and Jepp books. Somehow, I managed to pass both my written and oral without resorting to King.... and with a CAP instructor (though not in CAP aircraft -- I didn't feel it right to ask him to work for free), too. He was quite a good instructor, far better than my primary instructor had been, and I've recommended him to several student pilots now.

I used King videos for studying for written and Sheppard for test prep. I can't say enough good things about Sheppard. Just passed test last week and their test prep was great. Just follow their study and preparation suggestions and you will pass easily.

I used King videos for studying for written and Sheppard for test prep. I can't say enough good things about Sheppard. Just passed test last week and their test prep was great. Just follow their study and preparation suggestions and you will pass easily.

Exactly this for me. Sprinkle in some reading from IFH and you'll have a winning combo.

Count another for King for Instruments. I think there are just too many new concepts for your IR to learn any other way than someone kind of spoon feeding it to you the way the Kings do it.

I'm actually almost done studying for my commercial with Sheppard though....they have a really neat system- I'll let you know how well it works after I take the test this week!

I used a jeppesen text book and home flight simulator for my IR. For the written I used the free sportys practice tests. That worked. I think I did something right because I was less than a handful above the minimum hours to get my rating.

I am using Gleim for commercial right now. I like the way they outline stuff. We'll see how it goes

King for the videos. They only aimed at passing the written, nothing else. And, for that, they worked as advertised. 100% on the PP and about 97% for the IR, so I have no complaints (other than Martha's "humor"). For books, I used Gleim as well. Plus, Rod Machado's Instrument Pilot Survival Guide (I think that's the title) was a great reference, as well. His way of figuring holding pattern entries is great, and I haven't seen it anywhere else. Darned near worth the price of the book right there.

I did Sheppard air for the written, and the sportys videos for oral prep. I thought the sportys videos were better than king videos I've watched before.

Hi Ozone.

Like a lot of others here, I used King for mine. Worked great for me.

I used sports for IR knowledge. read aim, and other books as well.
then did sheppard to get ready for the "written".

those FAA books will put even the most insomnia-ridden person to so
peep in 10min, tops.

King for the videos. They only aimed at passing the written, nothing else. And, for that, they worked as advertised. 100% on the PP and about 97% for the IR, so I have no complaints (other than Martha's "humor"). For books, I used Gleim as well. Plus, Rod Machado's Instrument Pilot Survival Guide (I think that's the title) was a great reference, as well. His way of figuring holding pattern entries is great, and I haven't seen it anywhere else. Darned near worth the price of the book right there.

Not really, it used to be Shepard or dauntless was just for the token written.

But the king school videos are for the written AND the oral, ofcourse your CFI should be doing mock orals with you too

I used the King videos (web version) for the written plus the ASA written prep for additional practice tests. ASA had one or two documentably wrong answers, but overall they were excellent. I would recommend either, or both.

I see King's have a few versions of the IFR course. Do you guys recommend the "Written" or "Written & Checkride?" Just wondering if you can get a good amount of information from just he "Written" only to pass the checkride.

I see King's have a few versions of the IFR course. Do you guys recommend the "Written" or "Written & Checkride?" Just wondering if you can get a good amount of information from just he "Written" only to pass the checkride.

I never used their "Checkride" stuff...I figure I pay my instructor to get me ready for the ride, and have a hard time understanding how a video will teach any more than doing with a personalized instructor. But I'm sure others will tell you it is helpful.

All I have done is use king/gleim/sheppard for the written, then the ASA oral prep, and learned the actually ride stuff with my instructor

Something a little different.
Peter Dogan's Book developed for PIC.
It is very engaging to read and teaches with great real world anecdotes. It is certainly outdated with regard to GPS navigation, and you will need additional materials, but it is a very worthwhile read as an instrument student.

https://www.amazon.com/Instrument-Training-Developed-Professional-Courses/dp/0916413268

I used Dogan's 1st Edition book a lot back when I trained for my instrument. Very good and helpful.

I used the checkride video from King. My CFII had me ready for the ride, but watching the video helped calm the nerves a little because it gave you a better idea of what to expect. I think it was worth the cost.

I passed my IR written using Sporty's and just bought the King for my check ride... I like Martha's humor lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, it used to be Shepard or dauntless was just for the token written.

But the king school videos are for the written AND the oral, ofcourse your CFI should be doing mock orals with you too

King has separate classes for the written and for the oral. But, absolutely, your CFII should be doing mock orals. You want to be rock solid when you go for the ride.

Here's a video on holding patterns we just uploaded to YouTube:

Here's my $.02: The PPL body of knowledge kinda gets spoon fed to you to get you into the door. You go to a classroom, you get the Jeppesen flight bag with the text, workbook, paper E6B, and plotter. Its all nice and tidy, and its great promotional value for the FBOs.

As a part 61 instrument student, you typically don't have access to the same kind of instruction. You can buy the Jeppesen Instrument/Commercial package, thats pretty good. But, you still gotta slog through it on your own for the most part.

I see this as an advantage. Get one of the written test prep books that let you take practice written exams over and over again. Use the free PDF books from the FAA website (Instrument flying handbook, etc...). Keep at it till you can score 90% or better every time. Then, before you plunk down hard earned dollars on airplane and CFII, dig into the Instrument Rating ACS and take responsibility for "Learning" to the standards, rather than trusting someone to "teach" you to the standards.

If your CFII doesn't give a complete syllabus and go over it with you ahead of time, you suggest to him that you might learn faster with a syllabus that describes each and every training flight, provides lesson objectives and ties those back to specific topics in the ACS.

By not waiting to be spoon fed this huge mountain of knowledge, you'll get through it quicker, for less money, and be a better pilot for it. JMHO!

Back