Purple board down?

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
I'm having trouble getting into the PurpleBoard this evening. Anyone else having troubles? I've tried a couple of different browsers.

Firefox:
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

IE
The database has encountered a problem.
Not much I can use to help diagnose!:no:

It was, for a bit, but seems to be ok now.

I thought you all were joking about the Purple Board. It really exists! Why did that one get started?

I thought it was a reference to mixing red and blue - which was also a play on red versus blue states = mixed would be purple.

I thought it was a reference to mixing red and blue - which was also a play on red versus blue states = mixed would be purple.
Are you saying the Purple Board is full of fence sitters? :)

When Kim (and a few others) started the Purple Board last October, there was the Red Board and the Blue Board. So she decided that the Purple Board would be appropriate and, yes, it was definitely with relation to the color of the other two boards.

It's a good community. A little different from POA, although it's kind of hard to say how. It's definitely a lot different from the Red Board, by design. It was designed to be a place with very little moderation, since it was a reaction to what many of us saw as over-moderation at Red. The thing I like the most about the PB, I think, is how there's just no bashing of other people at all and everyone is really supportive of each other. When I started hanging around here, I found much the same atmosphere and it's great.

I still go to Red a lot. For pure aviation questions, it's kind of hard to beat. But Purple and Blue are like a couple of hangars sitting side-by-side, full of friends, having a couple of beers and shooting the you-know-what about life, planes, and everything else. Some people tend to stay in one hangar most of the time but there's a lot of walking back and forth. ;)

I still go to Red a lot. For pure aviation questions, it's kind of hard to beat. But Purple and Blue are like a couple of hangars sitting side-by-side, full of friends, having a couple of beers and shooting the you-know-what about life, planes, and everything else. Some people tend to stay in one hangar most of the time but there's a lot of walking back and forth. ;)

great description, i feel the same.

When Kim (and a few others) started the Purple Board last October, there was the Red Board and the Blue Board. So she decided that the Purple Board would be appropriate and, yes, it was definitely with relation to the color of the other two boards.

It's a good community. A little different from POA, although it's kind of hard to say how. It's definitely a lot different from the Red Board, by design. It was designed to be a place with very little moderation, since it was a reaction to what many of us saw as over-moderation at Red. The thing I like the most about the PB, I think, is how there's just no bashing of other people at all and everyone is really supportive of each other. When I started hanging around here, I found much the same atmosphere and it's great.

Brian, that's a nice way to sum it up. :)

You do have to register for the PB but it's free. They decided to do it that way to keep the search engine robots from scanning the site.

It was designed to be a place with very little moderation, since it was a reaction to what many of us saw as over-moderation at Red. The thing I like the most about the PB, I think, is how there's just no bashing of other people at all and everyone is really supportive of each other. When I started hanging around here, I found much the same atmosphere and it's great.

;)

I'm going to mildly disagree with you here. Although it may have been set up with less moderation in mind, there are several mods who consider it their business to poke into other people's posts. As for the no-bashing, that also is incorrect. In fact, at one time, there was so much contention that one of the forums had to be closed for a while until cooler heads prevailed.

If I could post without continual mod interference, I would like to go back. I don't see it happening, because the same people are still there. No one is moderating the moderators.

Where there is one opinion, there will be another. Such is the nature of life.

At one point, Kim got upset over the politics forum, so she shut it down. I think she was the only one who really felt that way and later she admitted that she was embarrassed by her "meltdown" -- her words. She's new to forum ownership and she's allowed to overreact if she wants to.

The politics forum reopened as Mos Eiseley and, to be honest, I haven't gone there once. You need to ask for an opt-in and I haven't bothered. Since that chance, the PB is pretty warm and fuzzy. But, to be honest, that's sort of how I see the world, as a pretty nice place if you let it be. So it affects how I see places like POA and the PB.

Difference of opinion is what makes life interesting. However, once again, I must mildly disagree. Although Mos Eisley was to be an opt-in, I, and perhaps a few others were - well, opted in. Or perhaps 'co-opted' would be a better term. At that point, although we didn't have complete free reign there, it was expected that our ideas and views would be valued, and left alone, without meddling. Such expectation turned out to be incorrect. Again, a bit of moderating of the moderators would have gone a long way to keep several people around.

I think the PB is a great place for people to interact in many ways. It is perhaps not the best place to come with ideas which are outside the mainstream of the general public.

Folks who abide by the TOS don't have much problem there, as a rule.

Just know that there's usually more than one side to every story, y'all. And DO come by to visit! Things have shaken out nicely, we do believe. We had some growing pains, but I think it's working out well. And we hardly have to moderate anyone, these days!

We've been having a few server issues as of late....sluggish .....

Poor, Doc.....you're a little cranky this evening, honey.....the purple board and EAA.....

I understand that you feel insulted by the way you were treated in a thread in Mos Eisley. I'm sorry about that. Moderators make mistakes sometimes - but they're really good people who would never hold a grudge against you. So I hope you won't hold that grudge against the offending moderator forever....;):)

I looked for you at OSH.....where the heck were you parked?

The politics forum reopened as Mos Eiseley and, to be honest, I haven't gone there once. You need to ask for an opt-in and I haven't bothered.
I haven't gone there either and it's much nicer not even seeing the thread titles...kinda like opting out of the Spin Zone here. Makes it MUCH more pleasant. :yes:

Since that chance, the PB is pretty warm and fuzzy.
Yes, it is. :yes:

But, to be honest, that's sort of how I see the world, as a pretty nice place if you let it be. So it affects how I see places like POA and the PB.
Brian, that's a great way to view the world. :cheerswine:

I was doing backups last night while you were posting this. :)

I too experienced very slow performance, and at different points my browser returned some unfamiliar error messages rather than PB content. Hard to say if it was due to the backups (they've never slowed the PB down like that before) or just a coincidence.

As Kimmy says, we have been having issues with our host lately, first with DNS, then with email, now possibly this.

Maybe it's just sunspots?

Next time it happens, feel free to PM me here, on the Red Board, wherever. Chances are I know about this issue already, but I may not, and it would be good to know about it ASAP.

I'm glad this didn't turn into a board vs. board flame war. Each board has it's place, and each serves its purpose well. We're lucky to have so many choices, and so many different avenues for our different needs.

Last edited:
I'm glad this didn't turn into a board vs. board flame war. Each board has it's place, and each serves its purpose well. We're lucky to have so many choices, and so many different avenues for our different needs.

What's there to be "anti" about with either PoA or PurplePowerPassionPlace? It'd be like saying that, because you like Tahiti, Fiji sucks.

As for the Red, I don't hate it, there's just too much static to sift through while looking for the substance, and I just haven't got the time.

Poor, Doc.....you're a little cranky this evening, honey.....the purple board and EAA.....

I understand that you feel insulted by the way you were treated in a thread in Mos Eisley. I'm sorry about that. Moderators make mistakes sometimes - but they're really good people who would never hold a grudge against you. So I hope you won't hold that grudge against the offending moderator forever....;):)

I looked for you at OSH.....where the heck were you parked?

I guess cranky sums it up. I don't hold a grudge against anyone. It's the age-old contention between author and editor. I make mistakes too, and that's why there are editors.

I was hiding in plain sight at OSH. Right on the end row next to the Hanger Cafe in vintage section row 63. Right where I belong. I went up to the L birds and looked around a few times but didn't catch you either. Sorry we didn't connect. During the day, I spent a lot of time away from the plane.

Hope your server/net issues get straightened out, it can be a hassle to find the offending part or service and put it right sometimes.

Mos Eisley? Did I miss the reference?

"Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be careful." Ben Kenobi to Luke Skywalker

Star Wars, Episode 4, "A New Hope"

"Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be careful." Ben Kenobi to Luke Skywalker

Star Wars, Episode 4, "A New Hope"

We mods use Jedi mind tricks on our "unruly" users, too...

I'm getting kind of good at it. B)

I've put in a ticket with our hosting company.

It's time to start looking for another host... I'm sick of this crap.

I've put in a ticket with our hosting company.

It's time to start looking for another host... I'm sick of this crap.

You get what you pay for....

What do you mean? :confused: Do you mean I'm not paying enough....I'm paying too much? I'm paying the wrong host company??? I'm confused....:mad2:

Anyway, I'm sick of what we have....although this is the first time we've been down for more than just a few minutes....

For anyone who cares....they just responded to my crabby service ticket and said they are working on the problem and should have the server back up in less than two hours....

Glad I'm not running a business, huh?? Thanks, Jesse, for letting me use your board to communicate about my issues. That's really nice of you....I'll return the favor anytime. ;)

Last edited:
What do you mean? :confused: Do you mean I'm not paying enough....I'm paying too much? I'm paying the wrong host company??? I'm confused....:mad2:

Anyway, I'm sick of what we have....although this is the first time we've been down for more than just a few minutes....

For anyone who cares....they just responded to my crabby service ticket and said they are working on the problem and should have the server back up in less than two hours....

Glad I'm not running a business, huh?? Thanks for letting me use your board to communicate about my issues....I'll return the favor anytime. ;)
Kim,

I did not intend that in an offensive way. Basically what I meant is that it is hard to get priority service from most website hosting companies as you're just a small number in the big picture. As sad as it is, often, these companies would rather let a client go then dedicate costly technical resources towards fixing a problem.

I was trying to point out that one really needs to look at the cost and reputation of a provider more then the actual features. I meant it as a *tip* to Andy not as something negative.

If you're curious how PoA is structured right now I'll be glad to explain. I am essentially playing 'web host' for PoA. I have multiple servers located in different geographical locations across the country and manage almost all the aspects of it myself. The website itself is replicated 'on the fly' to different locations and would survive any natural disaster (short of losing the entire country) without a single post being lost.

The amount of hardware that I currently dedicate towards Pilots of America would run several hundred websites on any sub-$100 / month host. This is why we rarely have any performance issue.

That said the above is not cheap nor is it for the faint of heart. It works well for PoA since I volunteer the resources at no charge. If I didn't it'd likely be outside the budget. Since I do this exact same work for a living it isn't really a huge deal for me.

As you know I'm not exactly a big purple board user. That is mostly because I don't know people over there and really can't waste any more time reading a board then I already do. I have *absolutely* nothing against your community and have offered assistance to you in the past.

If I were in your shoes today--and had moderate/strong technical skills--I would build the site out on the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud. It would be cheaper then what I am currently doing but would scale well and be easily recovered **if structured properly** (this is critical on Amazon). The monthly costs would probably be around $80/month on Amazon (could vary)..but like I said--you really need a strong technical background to properly utilize their service.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/

If you have any questions feel free to ask here or PM me. You can also call me at: 763-229-9341 and I'll be glad to help you get your board back online.

Last edited:
I know you didn't mean it in a negative way, Jesse. And I certainly didn't take it that way. Thanks for your advice....in the past we have only had a few intermittent outages....quickly fixed and only mildly annoying. Being down for almost 10 hours is bordering on being REALLY annoying....(but I've gotten a lot of stuff done today as a result).

Thanks again for your advice....it is very nice of you to offer to help us. :yes:

Yikes, now they're asking me to be patient....saying it is a hard drive issue.....:crazy:

Back