Pulse light solutions

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hi all,

We've got the new Whelen 70303 LED recognition lights for the Mooney, and I'd like the ability to pulse them, with hopefully minimal installation cost.

We have the overhead light switch panel in a 1997 M20R Ovation, and I'm guessing that's where the wires go. Is there a replacement switch that could have off/pulse/on positions instead of just off and on? That would be ideal.

Barring that, what else is out there for pulsing modern LED lights? As far as I can tell, the MaxPulse unit is about it, and it seems that would need to be installed in the panel and involve running extra wires to get there.

What other solutions are out there?

There is a solution that is “covert”. It goes inline with the hot wire to the lamp. It switches between on and pulse with your stock switch. Every other time you switch it on it pulses. I’ll have to look it up, if interested.

There is a solution that is “covert”. It goes inline with the hot wire to the lamp. It switches between on and pulse with your stock switch. Every other time you switch it on it pulses. I’ll have to look it up, if interested.

Yes, interested. I've heard of such a thing but I didn't find anything about it in my searches either.

What other solutions are out there?
You'll find most pulse systems are designed for landing/taxi lites but will work with any light. AeroLED lights have a number of models that come with built-in pulse functions however not all come with PMAs, etc and will require install as an alteration. But since you have the lights already that is moot. There are also other standalone systems other than MaxPulse. PulseLights are one but hardly at a minimal cost, however, there are a number of cheaper systems that have costs and approval docs of various levels. Spruce, McFarlane, etc. carried some of them at one time but haven't checked in a few years. Another option is look for a light "flasher" system found at your local electronics store that will meet the requirement of your current lights. It will take an alteration to install them however whether its a minor or major will be up to your mechanic.

Sorry, I should have read more carefully. You won’t know they’re out of sequence, will you?:D

(Just re-read…you did say pulse, not wig wag, lol)

Interesting. No mention of an STC at all, though... And it's just a blinker, not a wig-wag, and gotta have one for each light! I had thought there was a certified wig-wag that operated similarly.

I answered on MS.

For wig wag, the Max Pulse does that. You can do wig wag or flash together.

I can’t put my finger on it now, but I thought the Whelen combo LED position light strobe allowed that just by connecting the two lights to each other without the need of a separate pulsing mechanism or power supply. Memory is fuzzy so I could be wrong.

Edit:Looking at the Whelen descriptions, all the Orion models.can do it, and no external power supplies.

Last edited:
Mine don't pulse but they wig wag because of one of these:

https://www.steinair.com/product/wig-wag-flasher/

SA-WIGWAG-1-600x600.jpg

Sorry, I should have read more carefully. You won’t know they’re out of sequence, will you?:D

Well, I can see them in some conditions. ;p

(Just re-read…you did say pulse, not wig wag, lol)

Sorry. My work planes wig-wag but the switch says "Pulse". I think wig-wag is one method of pulsing. ;)

I can’t put my finger on it now, but I thought the Whelen combo LED position light strobe allowed that just by connecting the two lights to each other without the need of a separate pulsing mechanism or power supply. Memory is fuzzy so I could be wrong.

Edit:Looking at the Whelen descriptions, all the Orion models.can do it, and no external power supplies.

Correct, but that's just for the strobes to flash together. We've already got the Orion 650E - The recognition lights are the new LED 70303 and are a forward-facing white fixture.

Are you able to turn off the wig wag and have the lights be on solid as well? And can that box be installed in a certified airplane? The site isn't particularly clear.

It does give the option for wig-wag or steady landing lights. I have no idea if it is applicable to certified aircraft but I'm guessing a quick call or email to SteinAir would get an answer:

651-460-6955
info@steinair.com

Correct, but that's just for the strobes to flash together. We've already got the Orion 650E - The recognition lights are the new LED 70303 and are a forward-facing white fixture.

Sorry I didn’t understand what you were after. On the other hand, my mistake made me aware of the Maxpulse unit that could be used to great benefit to flash my Zip Tip recognition lights on my Archer. Anything to help prevent the mid-air.
So, thanks.

And can that box be installed in a certified airplane?
Yes, but will depend on your mechanic. Also some aircraft may fall under a major alteration, however, most I've seen are considered minor alterations.

I thought mine could pulsate by turning on off on or something but it didn’t. My beacon is bright as anything so I settled with that instead.

Back