Pt 121 CRM

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Assume 'big iron' multicrew.

What is happening in the cockpit 40 or 20 minutes or 10 minutes prior to beginning descent from cruise alt?

Also, what briefings are made to cabin crew and when?

I just witnessed an overflight of what I assume a flight from Mexico City to San Francisco and that got me to wondering.

Only speaking for myself.... But you did describe a non-sterile time..
Chair reclined, feet up, shooting the breeze about God knows what.
I should mention a little before decent we are getting ready for arrival with a few housekeeping items including briefing, performance, company contact for gate info, saying bye to the folks... All that takes less than 10 minutes.

As far as talking to cabin crew, we chat a few times throughout the flight. We make a "be seated" announcement on final. They are generally well aware of our impending landing.

But please do tell about the overflight...??

Thank you for answering. Would that 'reclined, feet up' time include the Capt advising if you have to go to the bathroom now is the time because we'll be running the before descent check when you get back?

I don't mean to imply that things will become hurried but that a crew ahead of the game will have plenty of time...as long as they remain ahead of the game.

We try to go before descent because as you suggest, things start getting busy. We also try not to go during the first hour and a half so we do not disrupt the cabin service.

But please do tell about the overflight...??

I was on the ground looking above into the night sky. Sigh.

On a separate note, today I got a phone call from some company who sez they were hired by the FAA to conduct a survey.
"As a pilot have you contacted FSS between Jan and March 2015?"
No.
Why not?
Because I have not exercised my pilot privileges in that time.

double sigh.

Many arrivals can bring you past the airport, then back around. Especially true if they are landing the other direction. Is that possibly what you saw?

Many arrivals can bring you past the airport, then back around. Especially true if they are landing the other direction. Is that possibly what you saw?

My present position is fairly near KFUL (SoCal). According to AirNav it's 310 airmiles to KSFO. Assuming the aircraft that I viewed was landing SFO I figured they were about 40 minutes prior to beginning their descent. Hence my questioning. Questions due to eternal curiosity.

Not sure exactly what you saw, and in no way am I doubting you, but.... If an airliner flew 310 miles past their destination I'm sure we'll here about it on the news.

I may have misunderstood your "overflight" meaning.
Think I get it now!!

I may have misunderstood your "overflight" meaning.
Think I get it now!!

Did I misuse the term 'overflight'?

It could be that I was aboard that aircraft which overflew a specific geographical point.

Or, it could mean as a ground based observer I witness an aircraft overfly my geographic position.

I mean the latter case.

EDIT: Oh, now I understand...you thought I meant an aircraft that flew past it's destination. Yeah, I can see that. And yes, that would be a problem. Stupid English. I guess I could have said 'flyover' but I'm not running for political office. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't think you misused anything... I misinterpreted.

I road the jumpseat both ways on a 200 nm quick turn yesterday :)35 min. flight time each way.) There wasn't a lot of "feet up" time, although the captain did slide his seat back a few inches after the level off...which didn't last very long. The crew, as expected, was diligent on their checklists and callouts throughout the flight.

Back