psychiatrist or HIMS psychiatrist

A

aviationenthusiast

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I have been granted an extension by the FAA until early June to hand in all documentation in an attempt to receive my first class medical certificate. I need to schedule with a "board certified" psychiatrist known to the FAA or hims psychiatrist as soon as possible. I live in Philadelphia but I am willing drive or fly somewhere if need be. I have a friend that lives in Tampa and can easily stay there. Any suggestions are appreciated, especially you have personal experience with them. Thank you

I think it depends on what has already happened that led to the FAA requesting documentation. See Dr. Bruce Chien's post from just earlier today, and there are lots of long discussions about the pitfalls elsewhere on this forum as well.

The agency wants a dissertation according to part 67. SOMETIMES RARELY a community FORENSIC pscyhatrist provides enough information (google this: "forensic psychiatrist Philadelphia PA) and you'll get a couple.

There are two HIMS pscyhiatrists in metro PA both quite good- but FAA constrains HIMS AMEs from giving out the names. If we do, we get dismissed. They insist that we do the due diligence with also includes among all your records, the AME Version of the FAA medical record which takes a while to get. Because sometimes the situation requres somethign completely different from whqat the FAA thinks it wants. The purpose of the HIMS Psychiatrist names being near classified is to make sure you cannot "shop an opinion".

You can, after you have an appointment, ask FAA for an extenstion to just after that date...but you have to do it before the date in the letter you have.

So, If you want to use a HMS psychiatrist who lives eats and breathes part 67 defs of disease, you need to get to one via a HIMS AME. We are, the "scut puppies" of the FAA psychiatry system.

B

Last edited:
This is my first time trying to get a medical certificate from the FAA. I’m very new to navigating this system and understanding the way the FAA works. I want to start flight training, but I reported some things on my medexpress that now require me to get some testing done per my letter. I’ve gone to a HIMS neuropsychologist, and now I’m trying to satisfy the last part of the requirements which is to see a board certified psychiatrist. I am not currently seeing a HIMS AME.

You think a forensic psychiatrist will do the trick? I’m not sure how else to find these psychiatrists and I feel nervous that I am running out of time. When my extension was granted from the FAA to have additional time on getting the required info my letter said it was a “one time extension”, does this mean I cannot get another? What if my appointment gets scheduled and it’s past that date? That was my first request for extension. Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and respond it is greatly appreciated.

OP, make an account and message me. Might be able to help you
OP, make an account and message me. Might be able to help you
Hi George,

I’ve created an account. Not exactly sure how to message you when I go to your profile but I followed you. Any help is very appreciated thank you in advance.

@aviationenthusiast, perhaps go back and read the previous responses. Particularly the one by user bbchien.

The HIMS psychiatrist will be able to help you navigate what you're needing. And there are 2 of them reasonably close to your current location, again per user bbchien who knows the system.

There is enough to get you started here.

This is my first time trying to get a medical certificate from the FAA. I’m very new to navigating this system and understanding the way the FAA works. I want to start flight training, but I reported some things on my medexpress that now require me to get some testing done per my letter. I’ve gone to a HIMS neuropsychologist, and now I’m trying to satisfy the last part of the requirements which is to see a board certified psychiatrist. I am not currently seeing a HIMS AME.

You think a forensic psychiatrist will do the trick? I’m not sure how else to find these psychiatrists and I feel nervous that I am running out of time. When my extension was granted from the FAA to have additional time on getting the required info my letter said it was a “one time extension”, does this mean I cannot get another? What if my appointment gets scheduled and it’s past that date? That was my first request for extension. Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and respond it is greatly appreciated.

Interesting that the most knowledgeable person on this board is telling you exatly what you need to do and you completely gloss over it and just ignore it with another follow up saying how new you are and dont know how to proceed. . . . Literally read your previous message and follow it. Now, if you dont like it and want to go your own way with alternatives - then you're on your own. Good luck.

Interesting that the most knowledgeable person on this board is telling you exatly what you need to do and you completely gloss over it and just ignore it with another follow up saying how new you are and dont know how to proceed. . . . Literally read your previous message and follow it. Now, if you dont like it and want to go your own way with alternatives - then you're on your own. Good luck.
Your straightforwardness is appreciated. I’ll reread what he wrote. It wasn’t my intention to gloss over anything. Thank you.

Hi George,

I’ve created an account. Not exactly sure how to message you when I go to your profile but I followed you. Any help is very appreciated thank you in advance.
Newly created accounts don't get to start conversations. He had a run in with guys creating accounts and spamming existing members of the board via PMs. George can start a convo with aviationenthusiast if he wishes.

Back