PSE PMA6000 audio-in question

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
I have a PSE Inc PMA6000 audio panel.
There's also a 3.5mm jack on the copilot side, I assume for the aux input.
The documentation states that the input must be at line level, nothing more than 2V peak-to-peak.

Question:
Does that rule out for example smartphones or MP3 players with 3.5mm earbud jack?
Would I need an attenuator (in the form of a resistive voltage divider) to be able to plug in these example devices?

Disclaimer: not an audiophile.

I have a PSE Inc PMA6000 audio panel.
There's also a 3.5mm jack on the copilot side, I assume for the aux input.
The documentation states that the input must be at line level, nothing more than 2V peak-to-peak.

Question:
Does that rule out for example smartphones or MP3 players with 3.5mm earbud jack?
Would I need an attenuator (in the form of a resistive voltage divider) to be able to plug in these example devices?

Disclaimer: not an audiophile.
No, just run the volume control down a bit on the player or phone. It is not a destruction limit but a distortion limit.

Jim

No, just run the volume control down a bit on the player or phone. It is not a destruction limit but a distortion limit.

Jim
Thank you, I will certainly try it with volume low first once I decide to connect it and test it.

The documentation for the PMA6000 states that the input signal should be below 2V p-p to avoid damaging the internals. I expected to see some signal conditioning on the input (clip etc) to avoid damage but the documentation really specifies that it would result in damage. Hence my question. Maybe they're just trying to scare us straight. :)

Thank you, I will certainly try it with volume low first once I decide to connect it and test it.

The documentation for the PMA6000 states that the input signal should be below 2V p-p to avoid damaging the internals. I expected to see some signal conditioning on the input (clip etc) to avoid damage but the documentation really specifies that it would result in damage. Hence my question. Maybe they're just trying to scare us straight. :)

Think for a second how many devices are subjected to static electricity, do they get fried all the time?

Static electricity has high potential (voltage) but low charge so it does not have much energy to burn things internally.

So let's rephrase my question:
anybody here with a PMA6000 audio box that is piping in earbud audio levels from a cell phone without problems?

anybody here with a PMA6000 audio box that is piping in earbud audio levels from a cell phone without problems?

Yes, until I got rid of that steaming pile of donkey dung, it was fed a regular diet of iPhone through the aux jack. Never a problem with being overdriven.

Yes, until I got rid of that steaming pile of donkey dung, it was fed a regular diet of iPhone through the aux jack. Never a problem with being overdriven.
Thanks for the info.
Feel free to PM me your dislikes of the audio box. I am curious. No need to start a rant thread here.

Static electricity has high potential (voltage) but low charge so it does not have much energy to burn things internally.

So let's rephrase my question:

Not so. Ever shuffled across a carpet with rubber soles on a cold dry day and then touched the fridge or a light socket screw? That really hurts; I suppose I could calculate how many joules in a whap like that but if it enough to knock me on my butt, it sure as hell could melt an emitter-base junction that is measured in Angstroms.

Jim

I too would appreciate learning what you didn't like about the PMA6000. There are several models, which one did you own?
PMA6000M
PMA6000MS
PMA6000B
Thanks
Mark

Hi BigBadLou!
You will have no problems using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod with any of our PMA6000 series.
Hope this helps
Mark

I too would appreciate learning what you didn't like about the PMA6000. There are several models, which one did you own?
PMA6000M
PMA6000MS
PMA6000B
Thanks
Mark
What does it matter? You don't want to deal with the ancient 6000 series. You said they aren't even worth me paying $200 for you to fix, so your opinion of them must be very low. Heck, even Terra panels are worth more.

Can't even get it fixed locally because you guys hide behind tso's and won't release service information. When you tried to up-sell a new $1300 replacement over my last problem, a cheap, warped bezel that made the buttons stick, you not only lost me as a customer, I now steer my customers away from PSE as well. Don't run down your legacy products to make a sale. It didn't work for Microsoft, it won't work for you either.

PSE has good ideas, poor execution, and slimy sales and service tactics. How many $1000+ PSE panels am I expected to buy and send in for multiple $200 factory repairs before being worthless, to last the lifetime of my existing radios? Wait, don't answer that. I don't care. PSE has never been known for great reliability, but with the current customer (dis)service, it's a lost cause.

Dear Tyndall,

Sorry I rubbed you the wrong way. While my intent was to give you my opinion, clearly I fell short in explaining our repair program.

We have a flat repair of $199 for any of our production units.

So for example, the original PMA8000B that we started production in 2004 is still in production today and thus, even if you had a 12 year PMA8000B that was out of warranty, you would be charged $199 to fix it.

When we stop producing a part, we increased the flat repair fee by 20% every year thereafter. But four years ago, I realized that the flat repair fee for your audio panel reached $768! That's rediculous, and that's when I implemented a change on how we would charge to repair these out of production panels.

So whether you were not hearing me, already irritated by something you misunderstood or I wasn't speaking clearly, our policy is that - any out of production unit can still be repaired, regardless of the age of the unit or how many years it was out of production. I also told you that there is a non-refundable $200 quotation fee. We would then call you back to tell you how much more it costs to repair. The average in now $400-$500, not $768

Finally and most importantly, I told you that if you didn't want to spend the money to repair your PMA6000, that you could apply the $200 quotation fee to the purchase on a PS Engineering replacement panel.

In 32 years in being in business, I've never been called a slimy sales person. In fact, in those 32 years I hear just the opposite, that we have the best support than any other avionics manufacturer.

Fact, PS Engineering is the only company that offers same day replacement for audio panels (under our 1, 2, or 3 year warranty period) that appear not to be correctly working. We even pay for overnight shipping.

Sorry that you so mis-understood me, I hope I have made our warranty and out for of warranty programs clear here on this forum.

Last edited:
What does it matter? You don't want to deal with the ancient 6000 series. You said they aren't even worth me paying $200 for you to fix, so your opinion of them must be very low. Heck, even Terra panels are worth more.

Can't even get it fixed locally because you guys hide behind tso's and won't release service information. When you tried to up-sell a new $1300 replacement over my last problem, a cheap, warped bezel that made the buttons stick, you not only lost me as a customer, I now steer my customers away from PSE as well. Don't run down your legacy products to make a sale. It didn't work for Microsoft, it won't work for you either.

PSE has good ideas, poor execution, and slimy sales and service tactics. How many $1000+ PSE panels am I expected to buy and send in for multiple $200 factory repairs before being worthless, to last the lifetime of my existing radios? Wait, don't answer that. I don't care. PSE has never been known for great reliability, but with the current customer (dis)service, it's a lost cause.
Golly gee, uncle Bob. I have the aux input jack, no problem. The 6000 was installed back in 2000 and haven't had a problem yet. Maybe the installation was poor and that contributed to the problems.

Golly gee, uncle Bob. I have the aux input jack, no problem. The 6000 was installed back in 2000 and haven't had a problem yet. Maybe the installation was poor and that contributed to the problems.

Avionics issues could be aggravated by moisture, metal contamination, unintentional collateral damage working on other things, insects, extreme temperatures etc. A warped bezel would indicate to me the airplane might have been left outdoors in the heat, maybe wedged against something while screwed in its tray tightly.

I have to laugh at the ancient Narcos that have bazzillion holes that would allow any metal shavings to fall right into the radio. Just the act of R&Ring stuff produces metal.

Dear Tyndall,

Sorry I rubbed you the wrong way. While my intent was to give you my opinion, clearly I fell short in explaining our repair program.

We have a flat repair of $199 for any of our production units.

So for example, the original PMA8000B that we started production in 2004 is still in production today and thus, even if you had a 12 year PMA8000B that was out of warranty, you would be charged $199 to fix it.

When we stop producing a part, we increased the flat repair fee by 20% every year thereafter. But four years ago, I realized that the flat repair fee for your audio panel reached $768! That's rediculous, and that's when I implemented a change on how we would charge to repair these out of production panels.

So whether you were not hearing me, already irritated by something you misunderstood or I wasn't speaking clearly, our policy is that - any out of production unit can still be repaired, regardless of the age of the unit or how many years it was out of production. I also told you that there is a non-refundable $200 quotation fee. We would then call you back to tell you how much more it costs to repair. The average in now $400-$500, not $768

Finally and most importantly, I told you that if you didn't want to spend the money to repair your PMA6000, that you could apply the $200 quotation fee to the purchase on a PS Engineering replacement panel.

In 32 years in being in business, I've never been called a slimy sales person. In fact, in those 32 years I hear just the opposite, that we have the best support than any other avionics manufacturer.

Fact, PS Engineering is the only company that offers same day replacement for audio panels (under our 1, 2, or 3 year warranty period) that appear not to be correctly working. We even pay for overnight shipping.

Sorry that you so mis-understood me, I hope I have made our warranty and out for of warranty programs clear here on this forum.

I don't know the specifics of the OP's experience, but my experience with PS Engineering has been great. I even had a warranty issue that was addressed quickly. Communication with the company is easy. In fact I purchased my PMA450 because I saw they participated in posts on POA and mooneyspace.

Back