PSA (Public Service Announcement)

W.O'Boogie

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
W. O'Boogie
About a month ago, my Cocker Spaniel kid (4 yrs old, in good health), came in from doing her business outside in the backyard. She made a rapid run around the upstairs, then ran downstairs, and STOPPED with a yelp. I was confused.

She sat there and would not move. After a bit, I tried to entice her with a bit of meat, and she just would not move. I sat beside her and tried to figure it out. When I put my hand under her belly she winced, wimpered and so I stopped. When it was time for bed, still no move....so I slid my arm under her body and maintaining her back straight, I picked her up and carried her little body to bed.

Next AM, no change, so it's time for the vet. He says it looks like a slipped disk. OUCH. Prednisdone(?) and methocarbamol(?) with confinement for a few days should fix it. 3 weeks and no change, plus a couple of other vets looking (same office, one chinese acupunturist even tried), no change so off to Vet School at Va Tech.

Saw the animal neurologist and neurosurgeon.....they think ruptured disk, but need a CT scan to be sure. $$$$$! But...she is the family.

Anyway, pup came thru surgery OK. It took a lot longer than originally planned. She had 2 discs that were totally trashed (11th/12th vertebrae). They fused her spine, and will keep her for a few days. She is on morphine, but no catheter - less chance of infection.

Thank God my wife had the forethought to get pet health insurance. The bill is about $2K, but we should only have to pay about $400.

I highly recommend it for anyone who has a furry family member that they care about.

There goes some flight time, but she is worth it. It could have been a lot worse.:yes:

We, who just paid $2000 for a rebuilt doggie knee, are kicking ourselves right and left for not getting pet health insurance.

We've spent enough on these dogs to buy a small car. Sheesh. But like you said, they're family. Once you're in, you're in and we all do what we have to do to make sure we're all ok.

Who did you get your insurance from?

Kevin glad to hear your dog is well. I know what you mean about them being family I have had several cats that we have gone to extrodinary measure to keep them going. Two had to have IV fluids every day and one had chemo therapy for cancer that we ourselves had to admister. $$$$$ all the way but as you said they are family.

Pets are family. I'm very glad for you & your bride that it will work out.

The neighbor across the street dropped by this evening, out walking her dog. Her husband died about 3 weeks ago after a long time with Alzheimer's. The dog is very comforting.

I really am glad that you're getting good care. I got my undergrad degree at VaTech, the folks up there are very good.

I think Katrina proved pets are family. Look how many folks wouldn't evac without their pets.

AdamZ said:
I think Katrina proved pets are family. Look how many folks wouldn't evac without their pets.

We arre in the process of giving our third and fourth donation to the animal shelters in Mississippi and Louisiana to help the ones that did left behind.

How does one get pet insurance? I'm pretty sure my work doesn't offer it....

W.O'Boogie said:
Next AM, no change, so it's time for the vet. He says it looks like a slipped disk. OUCH. Prednisdone(?) and methocarbamol(?) with confinement for a few days should fix it. 3 weeks and no change, plus a couple of other vets looking (same office, one chinese acupunturist even tried), no change so off to Vet School at Va Tech.

Saw the animal neurologist and neurosurgeon.....they think ruptured disk, but need a CT scan to be sure. $$$$$! But...she is the family.

Anyway, pup came thru surgery OK. It took a lot longer than originally planned. She had 2 discs that were totally trashed (11th/12th vertebrae). They fused her spine, and will keep her for a few days. She is on morphine, but no catheter - less chance of infection.

One of the few aflictions of dogs that I actually know a little about. My dad edited a book on the subject back in the 1960s and when I had to write a term paper in biology in high school I chose the subject. Had every paper minus one written on the subject as of the spring of 1968 as references. :D Handy having a veterinary school in your backyard and the head of small animal clinical surgery for a father. :D Glad you caught the problem before spinal cord damage was done. Hope all turns out well (sounds like it will).

Let'sgoflying! said:
Ask your vet if they will accept it first, too.
Very good point. We have 4 dogs and the girlfriend is a vet tech. We obviously don't need it as she gets a lot at cost or no charge, but whenever people ask her about insurance she says it is usually a bad idea and doesn't cover most of the usual big medical bills and almost never covers medication. One of the dogs has Addison's Disesae and insurance would not have coveredthe diagnostics(which were done at Cornell University) or the $200 shot he gets every month. I'm glad that the OP had a more positive experience with the Insurance but it does seem to be the exception to the rule.

Let us know if you really get paid by the pet insurance. I alway thought it was a scam.

Is pet insurance available from major companies?

mikea said:
Is pet insurance available from major companies?
Not form my company but I have seen it offered from some of the dot coms on the west coast and a couple of places in NYC.

There was one company I flew in to visit that we were thinking of buying. When we drifted out of the board room I saw many people with pets in their work areas. That owould be nice to have my animals with me during the day from time to time.

Well it's cool to hear that there are a bunch of pet lovers here to keep me company. My life pretty much revolves around my dog Abby. She's been with me for about 13 years now and requres a lot of extra attention now in her old age. Many interesting flying adventures and several instructing jobs have been passed-up because I can't really be out of town for more than a day. Thanks for all the info on insurance folks. Wife and daughter each have a young dog that will probably need it some day.
Matt Michael

Attachments

• Abby'shat.jpg
    Abby'shat.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 13
wby0nder said:
Well it's cool to hear that there are a bunch of pet lovers here to keep me company. My life pretty much revolves around my dog Abby. She's been with me for about 13 years now and requres a lot of extra attention now in her old age. Many interesting flying adventures and several instructing jobs have been passed-up because I can't really be out of town for more than a day. Thanks for all the info on insurance folks. Wife and daughter each have a young dog that will probably need it some day.
Matt Michael

Matt:

Nice lookin' pup. She looks smart.

SCCutler said:
Matt:

Nice lookin' pup. She looks smart.

Smart dresser for sure. Actually, the coat is required attire for whippets and other sighthounds in the cold. Yea, the hat is a little over the top. It was a momentary wardrobe addition by my daughter but as you say, she sure looks smart in it!

I can echo the sentiments of others here about animals being members of the family. We'd do pretty much anything within our means for ours.

Matt Michael

michael Killacky said:
whenever people ask her about insurance she says it is usually a bad idea .

There is a LOT of concern about it. Right now, people are in the mode of 'oh, what a cool idea', but it has yet to affect clients and the profession in a big way, as it has the human medical field.
Some say these concerns, now seen in the MD arena - will likely happen in the DVM field:

-declined coverage, or weighted premiums.
-declined claims and the usual battles with those departments.
-extra layer of bookeeping staff at the vet clinic to process and collect from a third party.
-increased costs to all concerned, simply because of the presence of a third party (can't expect an entire layer of bean counters to work for nothing)
-'appropriate care' competing with 'profit motives' for the insurance co
-insurance co dictating standard of care
-delays in proper care while waiting for ins co approval.

Im sure there are others. These are predictions, I have no idea if they are valid.

Right now it works ok for most vets to accept payment directly from the owner, and help the owner fill out a two page claim form (usually 15 mins - no charge). Sort of a reimbursement insurance, but that won't work for the person without readily available funds.

Lets hope the naysayers are wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

Let'sgoflying! said:
There is a LOT of concern about it. Right now, people are in the mode of 'oh, what a cool idea', but it has yet to affect clients and the profession in a big way, as it has the human medical field.
Some say these concerns, now seen in the MD arena - will likely happen in the DVM field:

-declined coverage, or weighted premiums.
-declined claims and the usual battles with those departments.
-extra layer of bookeeping staff at the vet clinic to process and collect from a third party.
-increased costs to all concerned, simply because of the presence of a third party (can't expect an entire layer of bean counters to work for nothing)
-'appropriate care' competing with 'profit motives' for the insurance co
-insurance co dictating standard of care
-delays in proper care while waiting for ins co approval.

Im sure there are others. These are predictions, I have no idea if they are valid.

Right now it works ok for most vets to accept payment directly from the owner, and help the owner fill out a two page claim form (usually 15 mins - no charge). Sort of a reimbursement insurance, but that won't work for the person without readily available funds.

Lets hope the naysayers are wrong but I'm not holding my breath.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Dave and others,

First, thanks for all your concern. She is doing pretty good. The tissue in the area they worked on is swollen (as expected), and there is some pressure on the spine (also expected). But she urintated on her own today (they had been maually pressing her bladder before).

Next, not an endorsement, but we have VPI - Veternarian Pet Insurance. It works well, in our experience. We got it when we got our second cocker after the first one had a myriad of problems. In retrospect - do they pay everything? No. But we are going to pay whatever it takes, and anything we get back is good. That said, you pay up front and file for reimbursement, and in my experience (over 10 years), we run about 80% or so on average for covered stuff (read the policy for specifics, of course.) If you can get a vet who will bill you (if you have a good relationship, it can be done), out of pocket up front money is minimal. But that is a personal trust and honor issue. VA Tech, while it is a great place, does not know me and has no basis to trust me. I am glad that I had some stock that I could borrow against for this. (still have the stock, just have to pay back the $$$. Thanx GE)

There are a few others out there and I can't comment to their programs.

Rest assured though, that if there is a way to scam you out of your money, someone has thought of it and is going to do it if you are not diligent in your review of their policy. We had our lawyer look it over for an independent opinion, for what it's worth. He did not have any big problems, as I recall (or we would not have this insurance). Basically, it's caveat emptor.

Winston (not Kevin, except for Woodstock):yes:

Last edited:
Back