Protected Phrases (AC 91-92)

Archimago

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Archimago
Does anyone know what the term "protected phrases" means in context to AC 91-92?

"7.1 Preflight Actions. As part of the preflight familiarization with all available information concerning a flight, each pilot should review all appropriate sources (including but not limited to Chart Supplements, the AIM, and NOTAMs), for pertinent information on current traffic patterns at the departure and arrival airports, airport environment, routing, departure and approach procedures, NOTAMs, weather, GNSS availability (if required), crew duties, standard cockpit procedures (e.g., transferring aircraft control), protected phrases,....

Thanks!

I wonder if it’s a typo for “phases.” Then it would be affirming sterile cockpit procedures as it is in sequence with standard cockpit procedures.

A protected phrase is one that you never use unless you intend the action. A military example is "eject" - if you say that in a military airplane, hold on because you are about to rapidly exit the cockpit. On submarines, we did not "fire" the torpedoes, we "shot" them because fire was a phrase which was only used because something was burning and needed a response.

I cannot think of a civilian example, we're more relaxed. Emergency and Mayday / Pan are ATC example.

A protected phrase is one that you never use unless you intend the action. A military example is "eject" - if you say that in a military airplane, hold on because you are about to rapidly exit the cockpit. On submarines, we did not "fire" the torpedoes, we "shot" them because fire was a phrase which was only used because something was burning and needed a response.

I cannot think of a civilian example, we're more relaxed. Emergency and Mayday / Pan are ATC example.
Meow

Perhaps: Mayday, Pan. I recall when flying 121 we had specific phrases for specific situations.

Do not shout Hi to your friend Jack in an airport

Actually, I came up with a few.

If anyone says "go around", you go around. On taxi, stop means you stop immediately. Abort during the takeoff roll, you pull power.

If anyone says anything that sounds like "sick", you stop maneuvering and give them a baggie.

Cleared for takeoff runway ***
Clear to land runway ****
Cleared into the bravo
Off the active at ***

I’m guessing there are probably several instances where exact phrasing is expected and/or required, and several scenarios that would justify that requirement. I believe some protected phrases came out from the Tenerife accident, if I remember correctly.

My $0.02.

In the post 9/11 aviation world there are specific phrases with ATC that have specific meaning in certain operations. I interpreted that to mean that one must familiarize oneself with such phrases if they apply to the operation.

And before you ask, if you're not familiar with the phrases then you haven't been approved to conduct the specific operation.

Thanks all for the replies! I think I've got the idea now.

And before you ask, if you're not familiar with the phrases then you haven't been approved to conduct the specific operation.
If you don’t know the secret handshake, you can’t join the club. ;)

Back