Prospective Student in Indianapolis

imemyself

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
imemyself
Hey, I'm a prospective student pilot in central Indiana. I've been interested in aviation since I was a young kid (I'm 24). I'm now to the point where I can reasonably afford to seriously look at getting a pilot's license. I don't have any close friends that are pilots though, so I'm looking for some advice on getting started. I'm not planning on pursuing any kind of a career as a pilot, just for personal enjoyment.

I've been debating between sport pilot vs. private pilot. I'm leaning towards private pilot because it seems like it's a lot more flexible. But on the flip side I'm honestly not sure how frequently I will make use of it, so perhaps it might be better to go the sport pilot route, since it would be a fair amount cheaper.

Does it make sense to start with a sport pilot license, and then go on to get a PPL when/if I'm sure it's something I will use often? Or will I be throwing a lot of time and money away if I do that instead of just going for a PPL from the start?

I've seen a few threads on here about what to look for in a flight school. I'm planning on scheduling a discovery flight soon, and maybe doing a couple of them at different places to get a feel for each. Does anyone have any personal experience with flight schools around Indy? There are a couple places at the Greenwood airport I am considering (Jeff Air Pilot Services, and Fast Track Flight), as well as Indy Flight Training at Indianapolis Regional airport.

I'm open to other suggestions as well if there is some place else I should look at (or any other general advice for someone in my situation).

Thanks! :)

I don't think you will actually get by a lot cheaper going with the SP versus the PP. Theoretically maybe, but in actual practice, probably not a huge difference.

Either way (SP or PP) you have to learn to fly the airplane. The amount of time it takes for that is the amount of time it takes - in either kind of airplane for either ticket. If you get the SP first you may save a few dollars by not having to do the night work and a couple other things, but you will pay for two check rides if you elect to get a PP later on...

You can train for sport or private in an LSA (assuming it has the necessary radio stuff).

You want to fly with a real CFI not a sport pilot CFI so that the training counts towards a private if you chose to go that route.

Most people don't have a problem with the medical for the private - but there are some not obvious gotcha's. Spend some time browsing the medial section of this board. And, if you are filling out med-express and the answer to any "have you ever" question is yes - stop - consult first, FAA medical later.

How far are you from Kokomo? There is a really great flight school there I can put you in touch with

When my son was in Indy over the summer he had a few lessons at Metropolitan at the Cessna Center there. Can't remember name. Should check my cc statement for the name as I paid for them....

Pm me if you like and I will get the name for u.

I keep my plane at Newcastle which is about 60 miles east of indy off of I-70. Nice little airport with a good instructor and a cherokee 140 and C172 for training. It doesn't really matter where you go for training as long as you are consistent and determined. I don't always use my ticket to its greatest extent but there are times when you want to go for a 500mile flight and don't want any requirements to stop you. Get the private and be fully capable legally. I don't think the SP or RP will cost enough less to make it worth screwing with. If its something you want to do get after it while you can.
Good luck
Frank

get your private. IMO even if you will probably wont use the PP privelidges it will be good to have them just in case for that one time where you want to go some place that your sport pilot license prohibits

I keep my plane at Newcastle...

That's a nice little strip - I've been there a couple times (night X-C pre-PPL and day X-C post-PPL). Going from there to KDAY is super easy, too - just follow I-70 :D

OK, that definitely helps, I will plan on just doing the PPL and not mess with the sport pilot license. The primary reason I had thought about the sport license was cost. I don't think the medical certificate should be a big issue for me.

I'm in downtown Indy. Kokomo or New Castle is probably further than I would prefer to drive on a regular basis for training.

My plan is to do some reading on my own this winter, and then start with the actual training in the spring. I'm assuming winter probably wouldn't be a good time to get started with flight training?

I am in Indy, and hangar my plane out at Eagle Creek. I did my training at Indy Metro in 2011. The FBO there is now Tom Wood Aviation. I also know a few independent CFIs that I can recomend, depending on your needs. I also did my check ride with a FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) inspector out of the Indianapolis FSDO, and saved the $500.00 a DPE would have charged. A Designated Pilot Examiner is a private citizen authorized by the FAA to give check rides and approve your issuance of private pilot certificate, for a fee, of course. A FSDO inspector is an FAA employee, so they don't charge you for the privilege of taking the test. So I can tell you about that option, and that individual inspector, too.

I work downtown. If you want to meet for lunch to discuss sometime, send me a PM.

Hi,
I am in the same boat as you. I live north side Indy (Westfield) and am exploring flight schools as well. All I have really checked out has been Indy Exec (KTYQ) which has the Eagle Flyers club, and is 10 minutes from my house. I took a discovery flight with them back in 2011 and they seem to have a good operation. I actually reached out to the head CFI there today to gather some information. If you'd like to connect and share information please let me know.

Thanks,
Jon

Hi,
I am in the same boat as you. I live north side Indy (Westfield) and am exploring flight schools as well. All I have really checked out has been Indy Exec (KTYQ) which has the Eagle Flyers club, and is 10 minutes from my house. I took a discovery flight with them back in 2011 and they seem to have a good operation. I actually reached out to the head CFI there today to gather some information. If you'd like to connect and share information please let me know.

Thanks,
Jon

Same invitation stands for you, too.

OK, that definitely helps, I will plan on just doing the PPL and not mess with the sport pilot license. The primary reason I had thought about the sport license was cost. I don't think the medical certificate should be a big issue for me.

I'm in downtown Indy. Kokomo or New Castle is probably further than I would prefer to drive on a regular basis for training.

My plan is to do some reading on my own this winter, and then start with the actual training in the spring. I'm assuming winter probably wouldn't be a good time to get started with flight training?

I personally prefer flying in the winter. Particularly as a private pilot who shouldn't be messing around in clouds anyway, and therefore, shouldn't be encountering icing conditions. (Although avoiding icing still needs to be taken seriously) Airplane performance in cold weather is incredible. Also, getting comfortable in a cold airplane is much easier than getting comfortable in a hot one.

So, I did a discovery flight up at Indy Metro earlier today. :) I'm trying to set up something at Greenwood for some time this coming week, and I'm planning on going out to Indy Regional to at least talk to someone there.

Fox-Three - I hadn't really thought of it like that, that's an interesting point. My biggest concern is that there will probably be more overcast days here in the winter. It also sounds like some places might be a little more open schedule wise during the winter, so maybe I should consider getting started before the spring.

Hi,

Thanks,
Jon

Jon. Yes Tom Wood is where my son took lessons. He liked it there.

Back