Proper terminology for approaches?

Not every situation has a standard .65 phrase but not using proper terminology where the situation requires it can have bad results. As Tim said, in an accident, his facility is going to scrutinize his phraseology with a fine tooth comb.

http://news.aviation-safety.net/201...y-contributed-to-risk-of-collision-at-ottawa/
But the pilot's radio calls are on the the tape as well. And there are many cases when there was a CVR that the pilots have been criticized for breaking sterile cockpit. However the pilots are usually deceased so they don't need to worry about discipline.

I am a proponent of that at non towered, but I REALLY don't want to get into that debate again.

That said, it's not all about phraseology. It's as much about being fluid and natural.
Fair enough, I won't start that debate. But it's not the only example of something that could be called a bad habit that gets ingrained in the phraseology of professionals. There are plenty of non-standard but common phrases you will hear professionals use on the radio. Common use by professionals does not equal correct use, which is as far as I meant to go with my earlier comment.

On your second point, that is why I said what I did in parentheses. But for me it's more the somewhat-experienced pilots rather than true novices who sound bad on the radio. Novices and student pilots are mostly nervous enough about not putting the plane into an accelerated maneuvering stall in the pattern and spinning into a fiery grave that they don't tend to waste a lot of time on the radio, so they may make mistakes or sound nervous but mostly spit out what needs to be said without a lot of wasted words or time. Professionals know what is necessary to say and spit it out.

It's the mid-time pilot who seems to ramble on a lot. Example: "Podunk area unicom, uh, traffic, Cessna 123A is about, uh, oh, I'd say we're about ten miles out, inbound for landing at Podunk on runway, let me see here, looks like runway 15. We'll be entering a left, uh, downwind for runway, I think I said 15 at Podunk. We're a Cessna 182 Skylane. Again, that's Cessna 123A calling Podunk area unicom." (As opposed to: "Podunk traffic, Skylane 123A, one-zero miles east, landing runway 15, Podunk." Followed later by "Podunk traffic, Sylane 23A, left downwind, runway 15, Podunk.")

Throw that guy together with "all conflicting traffic, please advise," and you have someone who may not really be looking for traffic and definitely isn't listening for it because he won't give you enough of a break to tell him you're there.

That's why I recommend the Sporty's video on VFR communications. It really does help to learn what is and is not necessary to say on the radio, which is what the OP needs.

Fair enough, I won't start that debate. But it's not the only example of something that could be called a bad habit that gets ingrained in the phraseology

"Clear the active" or "taking the active" at an uncontrolled airport is a big one. I won't enumerate the reasons why it's bad, but it doesn't take any extra effort or radio air time to say the runway number.

I've never heard "one minute weather" either.

NorCal approach uses the term "one minute weather" quite often...so that is what I have started using.

"Skylane 123XY, advise when you have the one minute weather at Watsonville" is a common thing to hear...or on the ground when receiving IFR clearance

I just used it yesterday with a handoff from OAK Center to NorCal Approcah knowing that he was my last handoff: "NorCal, Skylane 123XY Level 8'500 with one minute weather at Watsonville"

NorCal approach uses the term "one minute weather" quite often...so that is what I have started using.

"Skylane 123XY, advise when you have the one minute weather at Watsonville" is a common thing to hear...or on the ground when receiving IFR clearance

I just used it yesterday with a handoff from OAK Center to NorCal Approcah knowing that he was my last handoff: "NorCal, Skylane 123XY Level 8'500 with one minute weather at Watsonville"

Yep, I concur. I get that from NorCal frequently.

Back