Proper IFR Route

172SK

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kansan
What is the correct route to file from K50 (Cook Field, KS) to KFOE (Forebes Airport, KS) via vector 77?

172/U....We are having a disagreement on the correct way to get established on V77....would the route simply be K50, V77, KFOE....or would you have to file it as K50, ICT VOR, V77, KFOE?

172/U....We are having a disagreement on the correct way to get established on V77....would the route simply be K50, V77, KFOE....or would you have to file it as K50, ICT VOR, V77, KFOE?

Neither. You would have to file it as departing K50, route ICT V77 TOP, destination KFOE. "V77" is ambiguous - You need to specify where you enter *and leave* the airway. Since you're /U, you can't fly direct to an intersection on the airway, so you need to go to ICT. Also, you need to allow for an approach at the other end, and the only approaches you can fly in a /U airplane at KFOE are the ILS and the NDB, both of which start with a transition route from the TOP VOR.

You can't file a Victor airway without specifying both an entry point and an exit point that are part of the airway. Thus, neither of the routings would work. Since you have only VOR's, your first point would have to be something to which you could navigate directly, such as a VOR in the direction you're planning to go, like Emporia (EMP). From there, you could file direct to a point to which you can navigate and from which the only approach you can fly (the ILS or LOC Rwy 31) could be flown, such as TOP VOR or the Riply NDB (if you have an ADF). Your route of flight block would be simply EMP FO or EMP TOP.

And you could also file the route Kent suggested, although it would be longer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!

For filing purposes you can't go wrong with K50..ICT.V77.TOP..KFOE. It's something you can fly and something the computer will accept, but you'll likely be vectored at each end.

You can't file a Victor airway without specifying both an entry point and an exit point that are part of the airway. Thus, neither of the routings would work. Since you have only VOR's, your first point would have to be something to which you could navigate directly, such as a VOR in the direction you're planning to go, like Emporia (EMP). From there, you could file direct to a point to which you can navigate and from which the only approach you can fly (the ILS or LOC Rwy 31) could be flown, such as TOP VOR or the Riply NDB (if you have an ADF). Your route of flight block would be simply EMP FO or EMP TOP.

And you could also file the route Kent suggested, although it would be longer.

Yep - The main reason I suggested that route is that he did specify V77.

However, the EMP VOR is 66nm away from K50 - So, you're outside the service volume. That's not going to work either. Using the El Dorado NDB would have worked, but the freq is crosshatched and the box says "Check NOTAMs" so presumably that NDB is permanently OTS.

So, now we're back to going to the ICT VOR to start with. The only practical way to make the route I posted shorter is to exit the airway at DIETS and fly directly to the LOM (FO/RIPLY) - Don't forget to maintain at least 3700 feet until RIPLY.

If you're up on your NDB navigation, that option will save you 22nm.

SierraKilo,
I often will try out a routing on www.fltplan.com first - it often gives good guidance including 'recently filed routes', ie:
(is it irony that they spell error incorrectly?)

Attachments

• errror.JPG
    errror.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 25
I assume this has been gone over here more than once, but is it legal to go direct-to a nav-aid outside it's service volume, if you're receiving a signal?

I assume this has been gone over here more than once, but is it legal to go direct-to a nav-aid outside it's service volume, if you're receiving a signal?

Yes, but the clearance to do so requires radar monitoring by ATC.

...and that you already be receiving the navaid "suitable for navigation." That's why the OP can't go direct EMP -- it's outside the volume, and you won't be receiving it while on the ground at K50 when getting your clearance.

What's "suitable for navigation"? Best definition I've heard is ID received, stable needle, and positive TO/FROM flag.

Is that a requirement on the controller or on the pilot? I guess the proper IFR clearance, if he wanted to fly that way, would be something like 'runway heading, radar vectors Emporia, direct'.

Is that a requirement on the controller or on the pilot?

On the controller. See JO 7110.65 Air Traffic Control paras 4-1-1 and 4-1-2.

I guess the proper IFR clearance, if he wanted to fly that way, would be something like 'runway heading, radar vectors Emporia, direct'.
Not at K50, the heading would have to be issued to apply only within controlled airspace. See para 4-3-2.

Oh, right. It's on the pilot to get up to 700ft AGL safely. I note there are no departure procedures there. One further question (apologies for the thread-jack) - how does a controller deal with that kind of an entry into controlled airspace? In principle, the aircraft can enter controlled airspace anywhere in the vicinity of the airport on any heading. Is there a block of airspace that is cleared for the time interval specified in the clearance?

That was given in the question.
No, all the OP said was "you're receiving a signal." That's not the same as receiving a signal which is "suitable for navigation." One can be receiving a signal with a shaky needle or ambiguity flag, or without a valid ID, and one would be not only illegal but also unwise to follow it.

Oh, right. It's on the pilot to get up to 700ft AGL safely.
700 AGL (the base of controlled airspace there) is not a magic number in that regard. You'd have to reach the minimum instrument altitude (as defined in 91.177), and since there are no published terminal procedures for K50, the "standard" departure procedure described in AIM section 5-2-8 (runway heading to 400 above the departure end of the runway, then on course, maintaining a climb gradient of at least 200 ft/nm to the minimum instrument altitude) do not provide guaranteed obstacle clearance. You're entirely on your own to determine and execute your departure so you reach the mnimum instrument altitude without hitting anything. Where there are no published instrument procedures (as it is at K50), the controller has no responsibility in that regard other than to assign you an initial altitude which is above that 91.177-defined minimum IFR altitude -- how you get there is up to you, and you alone. That's why carrying current sectionals is such a good idea even if all you fly is IFR.

In my head, I was thinking 'receiving a signal' meant 'id'd, steady needle and to/from flag, and no nav flag', but I didn't say that explicitly, so I think you were correct to point it out.

700 AGL (the base of controlled airspace there) is not a magic number in that regard. You'd have to reach the minimum instrument altitude (as defined in 91.177), and since there are no published terminal procedures for K50, the "standard" departure procedure described in AIM section 5-2-8 (runway heading to 400 above the departure end of the runway, then on course, maintaining a climb gradient of at least 200 ft/nm to the minimum instrument altitude) do not provide guaranteed obstacle clearance. You're entirely on your own to determine and execute your departure so you reach the mnimum instrument altitude without hitting anything. Where there are no published instrument procedures (as it is at K50), the controller has no responsibility in that regard other than to assign you an initial altitude which is above that 91.177-defined minimum IFR altitude -- how you get there is up to you, and you alone. That's why carrying current sectionals is such a good idea even if all you fly is IFR.

Ah, yes, though for getting 'radar vectors direct', the relevant altitude would be the controller's MVA, wouldn't it? (Which would satisfy 91.177, of course)

Oh, right. It's on the pilot to get up to 700ft AGL safely. I note there are no departure procedures there.

No, and since there is no IAP the area hasn't been assessed for obstacles on departure. The pilot is completely on his own.

One further question (apologies for the thread-jack) - how does a controller deal with that kind of an entry into controlled airspace? In principle, the aircraft can enter controlled airspace anywhere in the vicinity of the airport on any heading.

Assuming other traffic is not a factor, in this case I'd issue an initial altitude of 4000 and a heading of 360 leaving 3000 MSL to join V77 in the vicinity of FLOSS. 3000' is the MVA.

Is there a block of airspace that is cleared for the time interval specified in the clearance?

A clearance void time can be issued, if the airplane is not airborne by that time the clearance is voided.

No, all the OP said was "you're receiving a signal." That's not the same as receiving a signal which is "suitable for navigation." One can be receiving a signal with a shaky needle or ambiguity flag, or without a valid ID, and one would be not only illegal but also unwise to follow it.

You're being silly again.

Ah, yes, though for getting 'radar vectors direct', the relevant altitude would be the controller's MVA, wouldn't it?

Not necessarily. MVAs are based only on obstruction clearance criteria and controlled airspace, radar vectors require an altitude at or above the MVA that ensures radar and radio contact.

Last edited:
SierraKilo,
I often will try out a routing on www.fltplan.com first - it often gives good guidance including 'recently filed routes', ie:
(is it irony that they spell error incorrectly?)

It's more disturbing that they spelled "flight" incorrectly; the header bar for that window says "FLIGHR PLAN ENTRY ERRROR". Somebody was in a hurry to get their code done. Must have had to pee.

Last edited:
Back