Prop touch-up

The AC above is guidance only, not regulatory. "Someone" around here often states something to the effect of "show me the regulation that prevents me from ..!
This is true, but the AC does show what the FAA's policy is on the subject.

The manual that you linked shows the dissassembly/ assembly instructions and many other instructions that US A&Ps are not allowed to do. 65.87 (a)
The AC does show us what the FAA thinks a minor repair is.

I gotta second the don't sand thing. Sandpaper has metal that can become embedded in the aluminum and initiate similar metal corrosion. I would probably leave the whole thing to a mechanic, since there could be other gotchas beyond my experience.
Sand paper can be nonmetallic, but in any case it will scratch/remove the anodizing that protects the base metal.

well....you certainly wouldn't want to go sand blasting it.o_O
But you could strip it, wash it, and re-coat it and touch up the bare metal with alodine 1200, as a minor repair, and have an A&P return it to service.
Sanding thus removing the anodizing is in my opinion self defeating in trying to preserve the prop.

This is the purpose paragraph of AC20-37E, see any difference between it and the purpose paragraph of AC 43,13?

1. PURPOSE. This advisory circular (AC) provides information and describes maintenance procedures for owners, operators, and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)-certificated maintenance personnel during the service life of aircraft propellers. It further recommends minimum requirements for propeller field maintenance and provides a checklist for propeller annual inspection.

Anyone believe that's not the policy they will hang you with?

Sand paper can be nonmetallic, but in any case it will scratch/remove the anodizing that protects the base metal.

But you could strip it, wash it, and re-coat it and touch up the bare metal with alodine 1200, as a minor repair, and have an A&P return it to service.
Sanding thus removing the anodizing is in my opinion self defeating in trying to preserve the prop.
I wouldn't sand the prop either, but it seems it could be protected again.

the anodizing is gone anyways.....that's why your painting it in the first place. :ohsnap:

what happens when the paint chips away....Tom?o_O
You have a small spot of no paint, doesn't mean the anodizing is gone, remember this is a electro-chemical process, it becomes coating of the base metal, and will not peel, you must actually remove it by sanding, etching or other mechanical means.
When it has been removed in small chips or areas of abrasion, the treatment is Alodine 1200, and repaint.

You have small spot of no paint, doesn't mean the anodizing is gone, remember this is a electro-chemical process, it becomes coating of the base metal, and will not peel, you must actually remove it by sanding, etching or other mechanical means.
When it has been removed in small chips or areas of abrasion, the treatment is Alodine 1200, and repaint.
so Tom....why is the paint chipping in the first place?....and what happens to the base layer? Think the magic stays stuck there? So, why even bother to paint if the magic is still there?

So, why even bother to paint if the magic is still there?
That's what I have tried to get across, Its better to do nothing, than to do harm. just to make it look good, you damage the prop.
He damages the prop now just to make it look good, and when it is overhaul time he gets to buy two new blades.

so Tom....why is the paint chipping in the first place?...
I don't know, maybe he operates off a dirt strip, and doesn't know how. Really it is of no matter, the repair is the same, alodine and re-finish.

And OBTW that is in the booklet you get with a new prop, that is the ICAs for the maintenance during service and your maintenance records for that prop.

"Sand Blasting it" implies you remove it all, we never see that in service.
the point is Tom....the mechanism of removal is the same - abraision.....and it does remove the magic stuff. ;)

Just called a prop shop nearby. They alodine during repair and overhaul. The factory anodizes and the factory ICA's recommend alodine during field repair and overhaul. If you see an anodized finish, chances are you have first run factory blades. At my work, we alodine our props and touch up the paint as directed by the manufacturer and industry standard practices.

We also use files and sandpaper and scotchbrite to remove nicks and prep the blades for touchup. :)

I believe McCauley recommends reworking their constant speed props every 6 years. My airplane had a prop on it that was 10 years without being torn apart and inspected. When we replaced the engine last year we took it to a prop shop in Tulsa that inspected, resealed, new paint and balance for $850. If your 182 has a 2 blade I wonder if it would be cheaper than our 3 blade? We also had quotes from shops to go through it that were several thousand dollars. Anyway as inexpensive as it was to have them reseal it and inspect at this Tulsa shop If you have more than 6 years on it I would go that route. If interested in the name of the shop I will look it up for you.

We'll, I guess this thread is proof that losing Glenn won't reduce the number of A&P pizzing contests.

How's your blood pressure Andrew? ;-)

I believe McCauley recommends reworking their constant speed props every 6 years. My airplane had a prop on it that was 10 years without being torn apart and inspected. When we replaced the engine last year we took it to a prop shop in Tulsa that inspected, resealed, new paint and balance for $850. If your 182 has a 2 blade I wonder if it would be cheaper than our 3 blade? We also had quotes from shops to go through it that were several thousand dollars. Anyway as inexpensive as it was to have them reseal it and inspect at this Tulsa shop If you have more than 6 years on it I would go that route. If interested in the name of the shop I will look it up for you.
Well... what did they fix for that 1AMU?;)

Just called a prop shop nearby. They alodine during repair and overhaul. The factory anodizes and the factory ICA's recommend alodine during field repair and overhaul. If you see an anodized finish, chances are you have first run factory blades. At my work, we alodine our props and touch up the paint as directed by the manufacturer and industry standard practices.

We also use files and sandpaper and scotchbrite to remove nicks and prep the blades for touchup. :)
Are you careful to not remove anodizing?

I believe half the people that read that, won't make the difference between removing nicks, and sanding the whole blade.
And the scotch bright should be the non abrasive type.

We'll, I guess this thread is proof that losing Glenn won't reduce the number of A&P pizzing contests.

Oh, to you any discussion between A&Ps and or AMEs is a pizzling contest.

the point is Tom....the mechanism of removal is the same - abraision.....and it does remove the magic stuff. ;)
In normal service it won't remove all of it like sand blasting does. And in normal service the treatment is to alodine and refinish. no matter how much is removed.

So again, why would you remove more than necessary during a minor repair?

Are you careful to not remove anodizing?
I'm sure the anodizing does come off whatever location needs the dressing. No way to avoid it. Whatever nicked the prop also damaged the anodizing layer as mentioned by @Checkout_my_Six .

But I'm pretty sure following the procedure below will get a protective layer on the damaged area.
... touch up the bare metal with alodine 1200, as a minor repair....

I'm good. I take meds for the blood pressure. Just taking it all in. I still don't know what I'm gonna do.

I don't really care about making it look good. The rest of the airplane is as ugly as ol' Cooter Brown's mom anyway, and you can't polish a turd. I have just heard on several occasions that any exposed aluminimimum needs to be touched up, lest it begin to corrode. I have neglected to do so thus far, but have used CorrosionX as a precaution. Fact is, the faces are probably 50% paint and 50% bare aluminum at this point, and a shot of something protective seemed appropriate. I was trying not to have to remove the thing right now and get it to a prop shop if possible, but that may well be the right thing to do. The prop has about 400 hrs on it, and to my knowledge, hasn't been to a shop since new. No oil leaks, but does have some dings in the leading edges and a whole bunch paint gone mostly because of our basically gravel hangar apron.

I'll ponder upon it further. 'Preciate the input.

@JCranford I don't need to ask you how you know. ;) And YES, I was born ready.

You have a small spot of no paint, doesn't mean the anodizing is gone, remember this is a electro-chemical process, it becomes coating of the base metal, and will not peel, you must actually remove it by sanding, etching or other mechanical means.
Electrogalvanizing is also an electrochemical process. So is cadmium plating. Anodizing creates a layer up to 150 micrometers thick, so a chip could get through it without much difficulty.

As long as it is just the paint missing, just keep up the corrosion X treatment.

What would the problem be in just cleaning it well with nonabrasive cleanser then painting vs anodizing then painting???

I'm good. I take meds for the blood pressure. Just taking it all in. I still don't know what I'm gonna do.

I don't really care about making it look good. The rest of the airplane is as ugly as ol' Cooter Brown's mom anyway, and you can't polish a turd. I have just heard on several occasions that any exposed aluminimimum needs to be touched up, lest it begin to corrode. I have neglected to do so thus far, but have used CorrosionX as a precaution. Fact is, the faces are probably 50% paint and 50% bare aluminum at this point, and a shot of something protective seemed appropriate. I was trying not to have to remove the thing right now and get it to a prop shop if possible, but that may well be the right thing to do. The prop has about 400 hrs on it, and to my knowledge, hasn't been to a shop since new. No oil leaks, but does have some dings in the leading edges and a whole bunch paint gone mostly because of our basically gravel hangar apron.

I'll ponder upon it further. 'Preciate the input.

@JCranford I don't need to ask you how you know. ;) And YES, I was born ready.
I note that there are several respondents to your question that are pretty consistent in their answers to your question and one who isn't ;)

I note that there are several respondents to your question that are pretty consistent in their answers to your question and one who isn't ;)

True, but I find it unwise to discount an opinion just because it's different. I care not for Tom's condescension at times, but he knows more about it that I, as do all the rest of you who have done ANY work on a prop. So I soak it all in, ruminate, and make a decision. I'll probably even flip-flop a time or two before deciding. Gotta respect the thing that ultimately makes the plane go, and I don't even want to ponder the price of screwing it up. Again, I appreciate the input from everybody.

True, but I find it unwise to discount an opinion just because it's different. I care not for Tom's condescension at times, but he knows more about it that I, as do all the rest of you who have done ANY work on a prop. So I soak it all in, ruminate, and make a decision. I'll probably even flip-flop a time or two before deciding. Gotta respect the thing that ultimately makes the plane go, and I don't even want to ponder the price of screwing it up. Again, I appreciate the input from everybody.
It's not just a different opinion or his condescension. He makes posts beyond his knowledge and continues to assert his own set of facts even when they are shown to be wrong. The problem is that someone asking for help doesn't know where his knowledge ends and where the BS begins which can lead to a bad decision. I question whether he actually does know more about it. I agree with you about the price in messing it up.

Back