Prop Strike - deal breaker on purchase?

Why would it be? Any possible damage was repaired and replaced. Good as new if done right.

Why would it be? Any possible damage was repaired and replaced. Good as new if done right.
I bought one with a previous prop strike. It runs smooth as silk. And I got a discount on the price because of it.

OK, good to know ! Just wanted to be sure. Wanted to make sure it won't hurt future resale value down the road :)

If the aircraft was repaired properly ,there should be no problem. If the engine was torn down,it should be good as new.

Don't see a issue here.

OK, good to know ! Just wanted to be sure. Wanted to make sure it won't hurt future resale value down the road :)
It may or may not hurt resale value. As I said, that is part of the reason I got a good price when bought my plane.

But it probably will keep a few prospective buyers on the sidelines and could make the sale take longer, which might entice you to lower the price.

Notice all the "mights" "coulds" and "maybes".

It might hurt future resale value down the road, if the strike was recent and you sell within the next few years. But if done right, there's no safety concern, it's just repaired damage.

So, get your discount now because you'll probably have to give one later. The only time I could see that it's not is if you've flown enough to have a new engine.

And if the engine and prop get replaced at some point down the road, the incident goes away.

Prop strike could mean the pilot taxied into a paint bucket and damaged the tips or the plane ran into a tree at 40mph. Does it makes a difference? It might!

Also depends on the plane, something like a 172, you'll be dealing with folks who don't know better and might not look beyond it even if it means a fresh factory engine and prop.

Other hand if you're talking a 206 or a DHC2, Stearman, etc, you're probably selling to folks who know what's up and are happy you prop struck it because now you'll have a fresh prop and maybe engine.

Well, when and by whom was it overhauled? If it was just done, by some local dude, just to sell the plane I might be concerned. If it happened a while ago and has been flying since, or was done by a reputable shop, less of an issue.

Well, when and by whom was it overhauled? If it was just done, by some local dude, just to sell the plane I might be concerned. If it happened a while ago and has been flying since, or was done by a reputable shop, less of an issue.

This here. Problem is as our aircraft get older and older it becomes more difficult to find examples that have never sustained any damage.

If it was properly inspected and repaired then safety is no more of a concern than with any airplane. But you should expect that any disclosed damage history will reduce the pool of potential buyers in general. So if it looks good, buy it and fly it, but expect either a slightly lower sale price or a slower sale on the other end. So pay accordingly on this end.

The biggest problem would be a prop strike that was never disclosed or repaired.

One that was repaired properly is like getting an almost new engine.

Even if the prop and engine have been overhauled?

As ignorant as some buyers are, some will never notice, others will throw a tantrum and run away. no matter what was done.

The biggest problem would be a prop strike that was never disclosed or repaired.

One that was repaired properly is like getting an almost new engine.

The key is your second point.

There are more than a few examples out there with 'quality' repairs sufficient to get the plane sold. Again, I would consider how much time has elapsed. If the damage is recent (within, say, 50hrs) ask yourself this - do I think this dude said 'Just fix it enough so I can sell it' or did he say 'Do it right, even though I am just going to sell it'?

If the damage was years and flight hours ago, I wouldn't worry.

Thanks everyone ! Strike was about 1200 hrs ago and was repaired and has also had prop and eng OH since.

I'M IN ESCROW! And on cloud nine!!

YES! Very important to consider who did the repair!! Cannot be stressed enough. Many times a lousy mechanic is involved.

The plane has 1200 hours since the strike, that seems like good evidence the engine is working fine.

I flew my plane for 30 years after the prop strike it had. Not a deal breaker to me. The engine eventually gave up the ghost but subsequent teardown indicates the failure had nothing whatsoever to do with the prop strike.

Why did it get a prop strike, and what other damage? Prop strike itself is not a big deal as it's all bolt on parts. One question about the engine overhaul, was the crank replaced? The rest of the question is more towards the rest of the damage and how well it was repaired. A simple one like hitting a runway light or picking up a chain on a ramp is one thing, porpoised landing into gear collapse and a bent airframe is another.

We had a prop strike on our RV. The whole event turned out to be a blessing in disguise. We got a lot of brand new equipment out of a dirt in the prop and I got some sweet office "conversation pieces."

Engine runs like a top. Fortunately, our prop strike issues were limited to firewall forward.

As ignorant as some buyers are, some will never notice, others will throw a tantrum and run away. no matter what was done.
yup....mine has +350 hrs since a prop strike and about 1,100 SMOH.....it has a new cam, new lifters, and all new bearings since 350hrs.

attachment.php

So, I love me an engine with a prop strike.....:yes:

Attachments

• strike.JPG
    strike.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
yup....mine has +350 hrs since a prop strike and about 1,100 SMOH.....it has a new cam, new lifters, and all new bearings since 350hrs.

attachment.php

So, I love me an engine with a prop strike.....:yes:

Some buyers will read the first sentence, and demand you pay for their trip out to see the aircraft.

And call you a crook for misrepresenting the aircraft.

and the rest will believe it needs an overhaul now.

Last edited:
Some buyers will read the first sentence, and demand you pay for their trip out to see the aircraft.

And call you a crook for misrepresenting the aircraft.

and the rest will believe it needs an overhaul now.

The majority though will understand they basically have an overhauled engine with the bottom end done to "new" spec. The question is where they try to value it. All that wasn't done was the fuel system.

The majority though will understand they basically have an overhauled engine with the bottom end done to "new" spec. The question is where they try to value it. All that wasn't done was the fuel system.

Show half of them a fresh overhaul, they run screaming away, hollering infant mortality. ( OMG it'll quit the next time you fly)

Love people on the other end also. New engine or it was just overhauled, say I can't trust that engine till it has a few hundred hours on it

Show half of them a fresh overhaul, they run screaming away, hollering infant mortality. ( OMG it'll quit the next time you fly)

80% of humanity is stupid, that includes pilots, what do you expect?:dunno:

Or you run into what my dad did. The logbook said they did the overhaul. But when he developed an issue 200 hours after purchase, and they opened up the case, there was NO WAY they did what they said they did in the logbook. The crank was still bent, and the cams were worn well beyond what they should have. So he got to pay for ANOTHER overhaul, after buying a supposed 25 SMOH engine.

Last edited:
Or you run into what my dad did. The logbook said they did the overhaul. But when he developed an issue 200 hours after purchase, and they opened up the case, there was NO WAY they did what they said they did in the logbook.

That comes under the heading ....caveat emptor. Once again, reputable people, so important. My cessna 195, same way but I never made that mistake again.

I need to find a Cherokee six with a prop strike it seems.

Back