Prop stopping vertically

Discussion in 'Maintenance Bay' started by Ryanb, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Ryanb

Ryanb Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    I have read somewhere in the past that a prop that repeatedly stops vertical on a 4 cyl engine, is very likely indexed wrong to the crankshaft. Is this true?

Reason I ask is, one of the 172’s at the flight school seems to be this way. 9 times out of 10 it will stop vertical upon shutdown. It never occurred to me that it seems to happen more often on this particular airplane than on any of the others until I read about it, so it had me curious.

2. Ravioli

Ravioli Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pasta Man
    I was told, rightly or wrongly, that the prop should stop in roughly the same position each time. Which position is based IIRC on how it was "clocked."

so 9 of 10 in the same position sounds 'normal'.

I have 3 blades and it's clocked so one is vertical. Minimizes my manual prop manipulations for the tow bar.

3. Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dan Thomas
    In the 172 manual it tells the mechanic to rotate the crankshaft until #1 cylinder is at TDC, then hold the prop vertical and rotate it clockwise (as seen from the front of the airplane) until the prop's bolt holes line up with the crank's flange holes, and put it on. That will have the prop stop at the 10:00-4:00 position as seen from the front, and puts it in the best and safest position for hand-propping.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  4. Stewartb

Stewartb Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    A 4 cylinder Lycoming with a 2-blade prop should stop with the prop at 10:00 and 4:00 when viewed from the front.

wilkersk likes this.
  5. Dan Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dan Thomas
    You're right. My clock is out of whack. I'll fix that.

Shuswap BC likes this.
  6. MooneyDriver78

MooneyDriver78 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom
    Why is that?

Tom

Shuswap BC likes this.
  7. DesertNomad

DesertNomad Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    DesertNomad
    Out west I think they stop 3 hours earlier.

8. Stewartb

Stewartb Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    It positions the prop for hand propping.

9. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    I thought it was to keep birds from roosting.

10. Shuswap BC

Shuswap BC Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shuswap BC
    Every plane I have owned has stopped in numerous places, and my twin never stopped with its props in sync.

11. 455 Bravo Uniform

455 Bravo Uniform En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    455 Bravo Uniform
    It’s opposite in the Southern hemisphere.

12. Bill Jennings

Bill Jennings Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    well, except for later model senecas

Shuswap BC likes this.
  13. JAWS

JAWS Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    JAWS
    And also has to do with aligning the blades with the connecting rods to minimize vibration.

14. nrpetersen

nrpetersen Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    nrpetersen
    A 172M club I was in years ago majored their engine. When it came back it shook at crankshaft speed, to the point that they were considering opening everything up again until some sharp mechanic realized that the prop was oriented incorrectly.

I am a retired mechanical engineer experienced in vibration and engine designs, yet I don't understand why this is only a 172 problem, and not on other 4 cyl aircraft. But I fully accept that it is.

15. JohnAJohnson

JohnAJohnson Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    JohnAJohnson
    Not all of them. Two-Bladed Cardinals (IO360 or O360) stop at nine and three.

cgrab likes this.
  16. biplanebob

biplanebob Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    biplanebob
    It could have been a stack up of balance tolerances of the various rotating components on that particular aircraft...ie; the balance of the crankshaft, prop, ring gear , and spinner assemblies all lined up to a bad combination. A common cure to a vibration problem on 2 blade props is to rotation the prop 180 degrees in the clock position.

17. Bell206

Bell206 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    FWIW: Can't comment on the consistency of where a prop stops, but most props have a specific index point called out during installation which is usually stated in the MM--and not are all the same. Lycoming also has a SB out there that defines correct prop flange bushing locations to ensure proper prop indexing. Don't know about the hand-prop requirement, but it has been my understanding the prop indexing was to reduce engine/prop vibrations as mentioned above. And when troubleshooting errant prop/engine vibrations every shop/OEM I've talked to always questioned if the prop was installed in the correct position. So to reduce issues prior to performing a dynamic prop balance I would usually check prop position among other things prior to start.

Ryanb likes this.
  18. cgrab

cgrab Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    cgrab
    My O-320 Cardinal stops like this

19. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    What if you’re left handed (wrong handed) and it’s day light savings?

20. Ryanb

Ryanb Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    I guess you’re s*** out of luck!

;)

21. alfadog

alfadog En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    alfadog
    Turn it by hand and see where the impulse coupler snaps. That's a pretty good indication of TDC. I wouldn't judge anything by where it stops when you turn it off.

biplanebob likes this.
  22. DesertNomad

DesertNomad Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    DesertNomad
    My 6-cyl Dakota stops all different places.

Shuswap BC likes this.
  23. Lachlan

Lachlan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lachlan
    Depends on what oil is in it. XC20W-50 with CamGuard will start on the first blade the first time, every time. AeroShell 100, without a flight plan, will require you to check with any traffic in the area, advise, get their advice, and the enter a right midfield downwind across the runway without any subsequent radio calls. None of this applies during Standard Time, so yank & bank til Spring!

Huckster79 likes this.
  24. geezer

geezer Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kruse'n
    First, a couple of humorous items.

One of the members of the flying club always turned it to 9 and 3 when he finished flying, IT LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER!

Airplane salesmen also turn the props to 9 and 3 so they can hang FOR SALE signs neatly on them.

Another member turned the prop to noon, TO KEEP THE BIRDS FROM PERCHING ON IT!

On a much more practical note, ALL of our 4 cylinder Cessna's stopped at 10 and 4, both Lycoming and Continental. In this position you have the best angle for hand propping the engine strongly and safely. I was taught proper technique half a century ago by an experienced CFI, and it is too difficult to accurately describe to attempt in a written form.

I have propped 4 cylinders up to 240 HP, and 6 cylinders to about 280 HP. Oddly, taildraggers are easier to safely prop than trikes.

6 cylinder engines stop at 3 different angles, 120 degrees apart, and the only position they should be propped from is 10 & 4. If you fail to get a start from the first try, switch off, turn carefully to 10 again, switch on, and try another time.

Our Lycoming has a mark on the crank flange which aligns with a mark on the prop, to prevent 180 out installation, which is important to us, as we have had the engine dynamically balanced.

I have assisted mechanics who removed and replaced props for us about a dozen times, and they usually put a mark on hub and prop with a magic marker or equivalent, to be sure they put them back on as found.

25. Dan Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dan Thomas
    CS props often have a recessed bolt hole at one spot on the mating face of the hub, and a larger bolt dowel in the flange fits into it to index the prop. There would have been reasons of balance considered in that case, and the 9 - 3 stopped prop is the result.

26. Dan Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dan Thomas
    The prop wants to stop in the easiest position for the crankshaft, which is determined by two of the cylinders with pressure in them. There will be one coming up on TDC on its pressure stroke and another going down on its power stroke, before its exhaust valve is open, so the crank will want to rest where the pressures in those two cylinders are about equal. On a four-banger there are two positions that look like one because they're directly opposite each other. The six has three positions, so a two-blade prop will pick one of those three, and a three-blade prop will look like it has one position.

A hot engine sometimes stops fairly abruptly when shut down and all the above is just theory. Clearances are tight and oil is really thin when things are hot enough. Try moving that prop a few minutes after shutdown (don't get bit if it fires!) and then try again once it's cooled off. Big difference in friction.

27. Salty

Salty En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    Mine stops at 7:42 and 1:42, but I think it must be Zulu time or something because it’s never the right time.

Huckster79 and Pilawt like this.
  28. John in Hattiesburg

John in Hattiesburg Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    John in Hattiesburg
    is this the same for 4cyl Lyc's and 6cyl Conti's or.....?
    asking cause I have an older 172 with the 6cyl Conti

29. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    On the IO-550 on a Cirrus, the prop stops at the same position each time.

30. geezer

geezer Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kruse'n
    John asked:

is this the same for 4cyl Lyc's and 6cyl Conti's or.....?
    asking cause I have an older 172 with the 6cyl Conti

The Cessna 6 cylinder Continental should be at 10 when at rest, or 120, 240 degrees more.

The club had a 56 172, and in cold weather, I often hand propped it due to weak battery.

The description of Switch off, rotate until 10 o'clock, was specifically that plane and engine.

Those are very smooth running engines, and except for their famous tendency for carb ice, my wife and I enjoyed it for many cross country miles.

31. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    It needs to for a proper PLF ;)

32. nrpetersen

Display Name:

Display name:
    nrpetersen
    Three bladed props have the same transverse moments-of-inertia no matter what plane they are being shaken. A two blade prop moment-of-inertia will be grossly different in the two transverse axes. All this is is critical as a 4 cylinder opposed engine inherently swings in a yaw axis at twice crankshaft frequency.

A 6 cylinder engine doesn't inherently swing. It is all a balance thing.

33. Stewartb

Stewartb Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    If the average 4 cyl Lycoming has a prop vibration the first step is to reclock the prop 180*. Still 10 and 4 but with blade position reversed. Mine have benefitted from it. My CS prop also stops at 10 and 4, and while the prop flange does have bushings prop can be installed with any bolt in that position. I’ve re-clocked that prop, too. Always 10 and 4.

biplanebob likes this.
  34. flyingbrit

flyingbrit Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    flyingbrit
    Are you referring to what is sometimes called a "rocking couple"? I thought this was caused by the opposing cylinders not being in the same geometric plane and thus not cancelling each other out perfectly. Why would this not be true of an opposed six cylinder also?

35. nrpetersen

Display Name:

Display name:
    nrpetersen
    Are you referring to what is sometimes called a "rocking couple"? I thought this was caused by the opposing cylinders not being in the same geometric plane and thus not cancelling each other out perfectly. Why would this not be true of an opposed six cylinder also?
    Yes - You are correct in that is caused by the cylinder pairs being offset rather than in a perfect H layout. I once thought the second harmonic cancels in a 6 cyl engine with L-R cylinder offset, but no way could I prove that! Now I'm not even so sure.... Any other engine geeks or nerds out there?

36. Dan Thomas

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dan Thomas
    Yup, as I said in post #26: The six has three positions, so a two-blade prop will pick one of those three, and a three-blade prop will look like it has one position.

37. Grum.Man

Grum.Man En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    A weak cylinder can also contribute to the prop not stopping in the same position.

38. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    And mechanics will position the prop at 12 and 6 to keep from walking into it.

biplanebob and Shuswap BC like this.