Prop paint

frfly172

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
ron keating
Looking to touch up the back of a mt prop,which is gray. Any ideas on a good paint.

MT is a composite prop... You best get the MT's opinion as some solvents could damage it. And a thrown blade will kill you faster then a New York second..:eek:

I have a MT composite. The back is flat black. Of course I had to have my prop stripped and repainted shortly after factory overhaul due to the paint which was applied at overhaul peeling off in sheets. One thing I would not do is send it to MT USA for repaint.
I use flat black touch up paint found in the aviation department of advance auto.

I have a MT composite. The back is flat black. Of course I had to have my prop stripped and repainted shortly after factory overhaul due to the paint which was applied at overhaul peeling off in sheets. One thing I would not do is send it to MT USA for repaint.
I use flat black touch up paint found in the aviation department of advance auto.

Thanks I have had the prop back to mt for a repaint after an overhaul,had to send it back a second time. Paint chips off if you fly through a cloud with rain in it. Will give your solution a try.

MT is a composite prop... You best get the MT's opinion as some solvents could damage it. And a thrown blade will kill you faster then a New York second..:eek:

Had a leading edge of the composite prop separate while IMC already. Mt can't explain it. Prop has been overhauled and painted three times.

Thanks I have had the prop back to mt for a repaint after an overhaul,had to send it back a second time. Paint chips off if you fly through a cloud with rain in it. Will give your solution a try.
I took mine to an auto body shop. They said the paint just peeled off which is just what I observed. They stripped it and repainted the whole prop. The leading edges will erode paint over the metal leading edge strip but only the leading edge now. Prior to that it really would just peel well past the leading edge after a little rain flight.

Catto Props, is a very reputable prop maker for experimentals and allegedly uses flat black Rustoleum high temp paint on the back of their props. I've used the same product on the back of mine, and it has held up well for me.

Two things - keep your coats even between blades, and keep the paint thin. So... One coat on the left blade, one on the right. Etc. That will help you maintain balance without going to the effort of putting together a prop balance stand.

This will sound funny but I've used flat black acrylic paint from Walmart crafts section. Just soak a rag with it and wipe it on. Dries a dull flat black with no sun glint. No taping and worrying about overspray.

Thanks to all,will try painting the week end.

Got a can of tempo at my a&p shop today. Not an easy application,goes on very thick ,any ideas.

Dumb. Terminal dumb. THIN paint, even two or three coats once the VOGs evaporate are one-hundredth the weight of a sheet of paper.

Jim

I always soak my rattle cans in warm water for a period of time before using them. The paint seems to flow better more uniform.

Tony

My mechanic and I were able to balance my prop by painting the blade that needed more weight with more coats of paint. I was quite surprised that this worked!

Back