Prop governor

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I flew the Twin Geronimo Friday. The right prop seemed a bit sluggish during runup, but not majorly out of the ordinary. But on climb out it didn't respond to a speed reduction. I could pull it all the way the feather position and got nothing. After several minutes it started responding, but was hit of miss the entire flight.

Is third most likely a governor issue? Time to overhaul? It's on an O-360 with a McCauley, if I recall. What's a typical overhaul run?

Yup, first step is to verify stop to stop control travel. Next is remove governor and I believe there is a screen on the gasket over the inlet port, make sure that's not clogged. After that it's pretty much bench work at the shop.

This not to say it couldn't be the prop.

I too council looking at everything you and/or your A&P can fix first. When my plane failed to make over 2000rpm on take off a few years back it was a failed propeller control, it had frayed inside the sleeve and gotten jammed up.

I too council looking at everything you and/or your A&P can fix first. When my plane failed to make over 2000rpm on take off a few years back it was a failed propeller control, it had frayed inside the sleeve and gotten jammed up.

That sure would be inconvenient on a long cross country $$$$.

Edit: I suppose you could wire to low pitch and just fly her home that way tho.

Back